What Would Your Ideal 1st and 2nd Round Timing be?

Crapgame

Reaction score
Listened to Matt Wolff and he likes the 1st day afternoon and 2nd day morning because if you get hot, you can build on that momentum. Hasn't seemed to work out today.

I think I'd personally prefer the morning on the 1st day to build confidence, as the morning usually seems to play easier. If you didn't have a good round, there would be time to get rest and more time to work on things.

What are other's thoughts?

Yeah, I'd go with the first round morning schedule. If for none other reason than the greens would be in better shape after a night's rest, and maintenance.

Getting off to a good, first day start takes a little pressure off the next day's play.

I'm not a morning guy even, but morning, morning. Fresher greens.

I think I would like a morning/afternoon start. Give me time to reflect and relax between rounds.

I’d prefer morning/afternoon. Get a long break between first and second rounds then a better idea of the cut line if you’re close to it.

i like the afternoon first.
because, i can get up in the morning do my thing then go to a different course hit balls, chip and putt for awhile.
then go to tournament course hit balls, chip and putt and play.
im good and loose by then, the looser i am the better im swinging.
i do this all the time.

on the flip side afternoon can hurt you sometimes where i live.
morning tends to have no wind and by the afternoon wind and possible weather can blow in...

As far as tour golf goes, I would like a late and late tee time. I can then watch some of the golf before going out and get a bit of a read on some of the greens.
I don't know if the pros do that or not. It just seems like the smart thing to do when you hear the commentators say " everyone has been missing that putt on the high side", or something like that. If it would save me even 1 stroke, I think it would be beneficial.

I’d probably go early, late.
Early on a Thursday to get jitters out and get a feel. Late Friday to start a rhythm, that would hopefully carry over to the weekend. Late on a Friday would be beneficial in my mind especially for better players/leaders, as you could really have a routine/schedule that could be replicated Saturday/Sunday.

I'm not a morning guy even, but morning, morning. Fresher greens.

tenor.gif

I'd go afternoon/morning. Leaves me plenty of time to warm up before the first round on Thursday, and could watch some of the morning guys on TV to get an idea of how the course is playing/greens are rolling. Then early Friday morning when the winds are calm and the course is fresh.

Afternoon / Morning. I am not a morning golfer so would rather start the tournament in my comfort zone.

Mid morning both days for me. I don't like early that much, but I don't want to sit around all day either. For me, momentum carries over day to day if my swing is working. Simple as that. The idea that it's time dependent is completely foreign to me. That's a mental thing, not a swing thing.

Back