What's an Honest Day's Work to You?

Junkyard

Will Travel for Golf
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
So my company recently transitioned back to summer hours until Labour Day. A normal day for salaried employees is from 8:00 to 5:00 with an hour for lunch. Summer hours are 7:30 to 5:00 Monday to Thursday and 7:30 to 1:00 on Fridays. Of course, with restrictions over half the force is working from home, so who knows how closely time is monitored. I'm not accusing anyone of anything, just mentally comparing their situation to mine.

I am very rarely in the office, nor do I rarely start at 8:00 or finish at 5:00. I got to thinking the last few days what constitutes an "honest" day for me. Take Monday, for example - I left home at 4:45 AM to be on site for 7:30 and left site at 2:00 arriving back home at 5:00. Assuming a half-hour commute as "normal" does that mean that I put in a ten and a half hour day?

Suffice it to say that this happens often enough that when a day rolls around and I want to go play 18 holes there aren't a lot of questions asked so it mostly washes out in the long run but I'm curious as to how others see it. Let me know your thoughts below!

I wake up at 3:45am to start my work day at 5:30am. Supposed to get off at 2:15pm, but since salaried employees don't get overtime, they find excuses to keep me there working on whatever they can. Including commute, I typically spend 12 hours away from home. Then, come home to a 1.5 year old little girl that's always wound for sound. I probably work harder keeping up with her than at my actual job. I'm too old for this...

My boss doesn't care when I come online or when I log off. She trusts me to get my stuff done and doesn't "punish" me for being efficient. If I can get everything done in 4 days and want to take a long weekend and no one else needs anything, cool. Take a long lunch? Go for it. Play a quick 9 late morning/early afternoon? Swing away.

If it's a crazy busy time and need to work the weekend, I don't complain. I know how good I have it.

I am full time work from home. My honest days work changes from day-to-day. I have a daily report that comes my way which dictates how busy I'll be. Some days it takes 2 hours. Other days it takes 10 so it all evens out in the long run. I can sneak out for 9 almost any time I'd like and just make it up on the back end if it's a busier day.

For me, I work for smallish private company as a salaried engineer. I put in hours as needed to get things done, at least 40 a week, often more. I have pretty nice flexibility to work basically anywhere between 6a and 5pm, as production starts at 6 and leaves at 2:30, while Sales , Engineering, and Admin all nominally work 8-5. I tend to work 7-4:30 or 5 3x days/week that I don't take kids to school, 8-5 on days I do take kids to school, and maybe sneak in one 6-7 hour day a week where I cut out early to play golf.

So my company recently transitioned back to summer hours until Labour Day. A normal day for salaried employees is from 8:00 to 5:00 with an hour for lunch. Summer hours are 7:30 to 5:00 Monday to Thursday and 7:30 to 1:00 on Fridays. Of course, with restrictions over half the force is working from home, so who knows how closely time is monitored. I'm not accusing anyone of anything, just mentally comparing their situation to mine.

I am very rarely in the office, nor do I rarely start at 8:00 or finish at 5:00. I got to thinking the last few days what constitutes an "honest" day for me. Take Monday, for example - I left home at 4:45 AM to be on site for 7:30 and left site at 2:00 arriving back home at 5:00. Assuming a half-hour commute as "normal" does that mean that I put in a ten and a half hour day?

Suffice it to say that this happens often enough that when a day rolls around and I want to go play 18 holes there aren't a lot of questions asked so it mostly washes out in the long run but I'm curious as to how others see it. Let me know your thoughts below!

One comment I have, is that as a salaried employee the 1 hour for lunch thing I'm not a huge fan of. I've got kids, my wife works, and I don't need an hour for lunch. Half hour tops.

Depends on if I have a test to perform in the lab that day.
As a salaried employee my theoretical hours are 8-5. I always arrive between 7-7:30, very rarely take 1 hour of lunch, and during testing days can spend 10-14 hours straight in my lab.
That the only bad part of being the manager of a one man department!
Love what I do though.

Well……

(And thank god my company is paying OT)….

I’m salaried. Work a normally varied schedule on a three week rotation. Pre Vaccine, I worked about 50 hours a week on site. Company requires 48 but that would mean I leave right on time, even pre C19 that just didn’t happen.

Right now my work week looks like 6a-10p Monday-Friday, except Thursday. Those have been iffy even. Usually then either Saturday or Sunday I’m working 7a-10p.

Long story short, I’ve been working 80+ hour weeks for way too long but thank god they’re paying me for it. I’ve already made more than last year. Now I’d like to tap into some of the 390+ hours of vacation accrued. Last week off I took was for the THP Bridgestone Championship in July 2019 (other than my crash 2 months later).

Well, if you ask my team of 31 I should be available from 5:30 AM until about 9:30 pm. Every one of my Franchisees has a different schedule to work on their paperwork or handle issues without customers present. Im getting better letting calls go to VM, but getting back in touch with them later can be challenging.

Contract minimum weekly hours in office are 37.5. I'm salaried and it's very rare that I only put in the minimum, so if I take 5 minutes to check THP instead of going out for a 'lifestyle break' I don't worry about it.

Commuting time doesn't count as 'in office' time either - unless I'm travelling to another community for work. But then it's still expected that I'm available during regular business hours, and any other hours as required.

One comment I have, is that as a salaried employee the 1 hour for lunch thing I'm not a huge fan of. I've got kids, my wife works, and I don't need an hour for lunch. Half hour tops.
I can't remember the last time I took more than 20 minutes for lunch... I would say at least three days a week I don't even stop

Well……

(And thank god my company is paying OT)….

I’m salaried. Work a normally varied schedule on a three week rotation. Pre Vaccine, I worked about 50 hours a week on site. Company requires 48 but that would mean I leave right on time, even pre C19 that just didn’t happen.

Right now my work week looks like 6a-10p Monday-Friday, except Thursday. Those have been iffy even. Usually then either Saturday or Sunday I’m working 7a-10p.

Long story short, I’ve been working 80+ hour weeks for way too long but thank god they’re paying me for it. I’ve already made more than last year. Now I’d like to tap into some of the 390+ hours of vacation accrued. Last week off I took was for the THP Bridgestone Championship in July 2019 (other than my crash 2 months later).
As with most in the healthcare stream your life is consumed by trying to get us through these times. And believe me, I appreciate it! My hope is that soon enough you'll be able to take whatever time off you want and deserve and enjoy the heck out of it.

7-330 .30 min lunch paid overtime and 8 week cycle
For on call
2 days rdo / month

Salaried. Provided noting out fo the ordinary happens, my days are 10 hour days 7-5 working through my lunch.

I’m union so I work my 10 hour days and I’m off for 3 days a week. I love the schedule as that extra day off is so nice to have. I leave home at 5 am and get home around 530pm. If you are getting you job done I’d say that’s an honest days work.

Well the first 14 years of my working career I worked 45 straight 12 hour days, half of those would be 8 hours on, 4 hours off, 4 hours on, 8 hours off. The other half would be 6 hours on, 6 hours off, 6 hours on, 6 hours off. Once I stopped sailing and came shoreside it's a typical 7:30-5:00 or 5:30 office job with the once or twice a week 2am phone call.

Hard for me to complain after being on a Ship deck for so long about sitting in a comfortable chair in a/c. But I do admit being mentally burnt out is real.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

An honest days work is whatever needs to get done before tomorrow. If there isn't much it can be short. If there is a lot it can be long. My company is not a butt in seat company, they are do what needs to be done company.

Depends on the time of the year. There’s always ebbs and flows but I’m almost always 8-5 with an hr break for exercise (I tend to eat at my desk)

It‘s 10 hrs a day of getting s#!^ done without the BS, whining, and “look what i did” attitude that seems so prevalent these days.
Have the balls to make a decision and the go make things happen,

I'm retired now, but when I was working as a project manager 10 to 12 hour days were the norm during a project. Post project days were usually 8 hours, sometimes less.

There’s days I have some down time but can’t leave the building so I have tended to
THP more at work than I used to. But it’s like a minute here, two minute there thing mostly so I might be working on a two paragraph post or PM all day. Just depends on the day.

Pre C19 I had an agenda every day of the week. I worked hard at it so I could keep the hours around 50 or so. Felt good leaving close to on time, plenty of time to coach, hit the range, etc.

I still have an agenda every day. I start it with the stuff that I absolutely have to have done by a certain time. But I’ve learned to be a lot more flexible now, I never left prior without that days agenda being done. So I’d call that a good days work.

Now we literally can’t keep up. For every vaccine given we factor in 15 minutes of Technician time. Plus the 5-10 minutes of clinician time.

Pretty proud that my team has administered about 2/3’s of the total vaccinations given in my work county (rural-population only 55k or so).

Probably average out around 10hrs per day. Some days are longer, some are shorter.

Most of my career I worked graveyard shift, 8 pm - 6:30 am. Then there were some 4 hour overtime details before or after, and days that you spent all day in court, went home and got an hour or two of sleep and headed back in to work that night. The last three years I worked noon - 10:30 pm, then was on call all night until 6 am the following morning.

A few thoughts...

I had a business partner that was co-founder of a company with me. A few years later, he briefly took a government job. About 2 months after he started he told me, "Remember when we started that company together and each of us did the work of six?" I said, "Yes." He said, "Well here six people do the work of one." Work is not just about time. It's about the value you provide to your employer.

Having said that, I never counted commute time as work time. The only exception was when I had a job where I could commute by train and did work both ways. It's true that this is time away from your family. But if it wasn't producing something of value for your employer, it's not work time.

Work is not about where you are, but what you are doing. In my job I can and do work a lot from home. But there are some tasks I can only do at the work site.

I also am on call 7x24 for security, safety, and IT. That does not mean I work 168 hours a week. But it does require some scheduled time off from time to time to keep my sanity.

Technically my working hours are your bog standard 9-5. But I can't remember the last time I logged on any later than about half 7, and logged off before 7 again. I run a team of account execs and brokers, and I like to be the first in and last out, always have been. But at the same time, and as I tell my team as long as they are doing what they need to do and get their numbers together then if they want a long lunch or just take an afternoon with the family then not a problem at all. Is the same rules as I have myself, knocking off an hour early to go and play golf is perfectly acceptable:ROFLMAO:

Back