What's at the top of your golf bucket list?

For me it is simple: shoot my age.

I have always been drawn to Pebble Beach, the history and amazing views is well worth being on top of my list.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

At one point my bucket list target was to qualify for a USGA event. When I stopped playing serious golf about 10 years ago that dropped off. Over the past couple of years I started playing more again and am going to try and take a run at a Senior Am before I get too old.

I also surprisingly have never really done a golf trip. I have a couple of those I would like to do including Bandon, a trip to Ireland or Scotland (or both) and Cabot which is closer to home but hard to get to.

I did recently join a new course that is one that was aspirational for me and I was very fortunate to be able to make a reality. If I am not able to do either of the above I will be thrilled playing my new course for the rest of my years.

For me it is simple: shoot my age.

My Dad did it twice in his early 70s it is an awesome accomplishment. I didn’t have that on my list but I just turned 55 so I figure I have about 15 more years before that enters the discussion.

My Dad did it twice in his early 70s it is an awesome accomplishment. I didn’t have that on my list but I just turned 55 so I figure I have about 15 more years before that enters the discussion.

The problem is when you start getting in your late 60's most players skill level starts to erode. Health issues also create a problem. When I was your age I played to a 5-8 handicap for about 15 more years. Then between health issues and slower swing speeds I think I may never shoot my age. The older you get the harder it seems to be.

The problem is when you start getting in your late 60's most players skill level starts to erode. Health issues also create a problem. When I was your age I played to a 5-8 handicap for about 15 more years. Then between health issues and slower swing speeds I think I may never shoot my age. The older you get the harder it seems to be.

My Dad was never a scratch golfer and he continued to improve as he moved through is mid to late 60s. My Dad’s overall health was good and he maintained the ability to hit the ball pretty far. His times shooting his age were all at 6400-6500 yards. In his early 70s his handicap dipped as low as it ever was in the 3-4 range. My Dad is almost 80 now and his game has started to slip which is natural.

Back