What's for Dinner? Christmas Edition.

I knew I was forgetting things: Mashed Potatoes and homemade eggnog. Good stuff that eggnog is!

Hubby will match your wife's any time! He starts back in September, mixing the liqueurs and adding cracked whole cinnamon sticks, cloves, and nutmeg. It sits in a cool, dark room for three months.

A week before our eggnog & cookie party, he separates 24 eggs, whips the whites, whips a gallon of whipping cream, folds everything together, and lets it sit for a week.

The stuff is heaven, and I hate eggnog. This year's batch had the consistency of melted ice cream. One cup is fabulous. Two cups is serious trouble.

There's an Alcoholic-Eggnog? I never knew that.

Thinks what you have in your future! See above.

She doesn't take that long to make hers; but two cups does a body good.

She doesn't take that long to make hers; but two cups does a body good.

Hubby takes his bar very, VERY seriously. Did I mention his whole family drinks too much? (And I'm the one from a long line of Irish drunks.)

Yes, I think you mentioned that a time or ten!

I had a really bad night one year with a lot of eggnog and wild turkey. I wouldnt wish that on anyone. With that being said, I cant wait for some eggnog tomorrow night.

Christmas Breakfast

Christmas Breakfast

I may be the only one with this issue, but...

I always hated having to exit in the middle of present opening to go make a big breakfast for everyone. Somehow, cold cereal on Christmas morning just doesn't do it, ya know?

Years ago, a friend passed on an awesome recipe for make-ahead, baked French toast. While the chicken is cooking this evening, I melt butter in a baking dish & stir in the brown sugar and raisins. Layer on the bread. Combine eggs, milk, cinnamon, and vanilla--pour over all. Cover and refrigerate overnight. I think it bakes for 45 minutes to an hour tomorrow, half with the foil on and half without.

I can bear to cook bacon/sausage for a few minutes (while Hubby pre-cuts the grapefruit), but at least I'm not making omelets or something while everyone else is having fun.

RE: Christmas Breakfast

Ziplock Bag Omelette!
If you love omelettes but hate the mess involved with making them at home, or if you are looking for a healthier alternative than frying your eggs, you are going to love the ziploc bag omelette. This healthy, convenient spin on traditional omelettes can’t be beat. To make a ziploc omelette, you will need one quart sized ziploc freezer bag, two large or extra large eggs, and whatever fillings you like in your omelette, such as cheese, ham, bacon, or even mushrooms, peppers, and onions. Crack the two eggs into the ziploc bag, seal it up, and knead it with your fingers to “scramble” the eggs. Then, drop in the fillings, roll the air out of the bag, and zip it up tight. Place the bag in a pot of boiling water for exactly 13 minutes. After the time is up, remove the bag from the water and use scissors to cut the top half of the bag off. Your omelette will then slide right out onto your plate, ready to eat. It’s amazing! It makes a nice, fluffy omelette with a lot less fat than regular cooked omelettes. (This comes from: http://www.reviewstream.com/reviews/?p=4994)

You can cook many at a time if you use a large enough pot and everyone eats at the same time. We do this once in a while, and usually when my neice and nephew spend the night.

[YOUTUBE]NJ2NfUbbQWE[/YOUTUBE]

ziploc-egg-omelet-2.jpg
ziploc-egg-omelet-3.jpg

Small, those are just weird. Regardless of how they taste. Thanks, but I'm going with the French toast.

How did you get to have more than 100+ posts than I do? By the time we get back from skiing, you'll have lapped me!

I hate Christmas Eve with a passion... essentially I work a full day here then I'll have to sit in a ton of traffic after work driving to my uncles. At the end of the day I'd rather just sit at home and eat pizza.

I hate Christmas Eve with a passion... essentially I work a full day here then I'll have to sit in a ton of traffic after work driving to my uncles. At the end of the day I'd rather just sit at home and eat pizza.

We close at 1:00, but mass is at 3:00 and we have to be there by 2:15 or so to be able to sit. It will be nice when the kids are older and we can do the real vigil.

We close at 1:00, but mass is at 3:00 and we have to be there by 2:15 or so to be able to sit. It will be nice when the kids are older and we can do the real vigil.

thank *** those days are over for me... I can't stand there and listen to another Christmas gospel again

Catholic mass seemed to go on for about 3 hours

thank *** those days are over for me... I can't stand there and listen to another Christmas gospel again

Catholic mass seemed to go on for about 3 hours

There's a 4:30 mass as well, so we have to be out by 4:15. It's the Easter vigil that goes on forever... the Old Testament's greatest hits and all.

Just got word that our office is closing at noon. We were supposed to close at 3 but now it's noon. :alien2: :banana: :blob: :alien2: :banana: :blob:

Just got word that our office is closing at noon. We were supposed to close at 3 but now it's noon. :alien2: :banana: :blob: :alien2: :banana: :blob:

Good for you, but who is poor Dan going to play with this afternoon?

Good for you, but who is poor Dan going to play with this afternoon?

I'll come back and hang out with him this afternoon when I get home. I'll need to update some stuff on my lap top so we can track Santa again this year. My wife's niece and nephew enjoyed doing that last year. I think it has now become a new tradition. Well atleast until they stop believing.

I'll come back and hang out with him this afternoon when I get home. I'll need to update some stuff on my lap top so we can track Santa again this year. My wife's niece and nephew enjoyed doing that last year. I think it has now become a new tradition. Well atleast until they stop believing.

You'll really have to keep explaining this one.

Small, those are just weird. Regardless of how they taste. Thanks, but I'm going with the French toast.

How did you get to have more than 100+ posts than I do? By the time we get back from skiing, you'll have lapped me!

OK, so try them on just some ho-hum weekend. It's really OK to eat an omelette that comes out of a bag!

And by the time you come back, the way DDB is going, he'll be a hundred or so past you! Heck he may have even passed me by then.

And by the time you come back, the way DDB is going, he'll be a hundred or so past you! Heck he may have even passed me by then.

But he'll be in South Korea with Rachel. Better not be posting!

We always just had cold cereal for breakfast on Christmas morning. That was after presents were opened.

Well I can't read a thing on that page Claire!

But this looks very good:

d6a10d4335c455eac23afac5bf400ec8_content_medium.jpg

I bet they'd like it if they had to eat it BEFORE they could open presents!

But he'll be in South Korea with Rachel. Better not be posting!

hahahahaha! I am bitter as heck at work today

they always say we'll get out early, sure haha

I am on my third cup of eggnog. Seems stronger than last year.

Back