What's for Dinner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: What's for Dinner?

snicker.doodles said:
jimmy johns is awesome.
+800000. We just had one open in AZ right by my work. Cheap, fast and extremely tasty. On a side not just cooked my best ribeyes ever. Ive been workin towards this type of steak forever.

Hmm I've never even heard of it before. Gotta find one I guess

Sent from my HTC Incredible using Tapatalk

cool just goggled JJ's and there is one in Clearwater and two in Tampa!

cool just goggled JJ's and there is one in Clearwater and two in Tampa!

"Subs so fast you'll freak."

They're pretty good. The bread is really good. They sell the 12" loaves for $1.00 a piece, and when I want to make a sub at home with some real quality meat, I pick up the bread. I like that best about Jimmy Johns.

I'm sure the word chubby would fit in a response to that somehow.

Kevin

i about fell out of my chair... LOL!
i dont think anyone got the chubby reference... hahaha

i had digiorno's pizza... i just added a bunch of stuff to it

Swedish meatballs and baked beans. (leftovers)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We had chicken salad.

seafood paella - with lobster and shrimp

chocolate souffles for dessert!

i about fell out of my chair... LOL!
i dont think anyone got the chubby reference... hahaha

It was missed or ignored by everyone but you. Good work.

Kevin

Kevin

I missed it, but half of what you say goes over my head anyway. I usually just smile and nod.

Kevin

A pop culture reference? Of course I wouldn't get it.

A pop culture reference? Of course I wouldn't get it.

LOL. I wouldn't call it pop culture. "Chubby" is a euphemism. Let's leave it at that. This is a dinner thread for gosh sake.

Kevin

LOL. I wouldn't call it pop culture. "Chubby" is a euphemism. Let's leave it at that. This is a dinner thread for gosh sake.

Kevin

once again im lol'ing...

i think ill go to the grocery store and peruse the isles for ideas on what to eat for dinner tonight

Homemade shrimp tempura, asparagus, steamed rice, roasted chicken and stuffed salmon.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

yea - girlfried loves her chocolate!

The paella, too? That's what I want to hear about. How big a pan? Over an open fire, on a stove, on a propane turkey fryer? What kind of rice? Spanish Bomba rice is supposedly the best, but I can't find it here. I bought a 15" paella pan a while back but have yet to break it in.

Kevin

The paella, too? That's what I want to hear about. How big a pan? Over an open fire, on a stove, on a propane turkey fryer? What kind of rice? Spanish Bomba rice is supposedly the best, but I can't find it here. I bought a 15" paella pan a while back but have yet to break it in.

Kevin

yes it was homemade. i do one new dinner every sunday night for my GF and I. our only day off together. I am not a chef, but i have been in the restaurant business for about 12 years. So i have worked around ALOT of talented chefs. I dabble and try to come up with unique recipes i adapt from some of the menus i have seen over my years. I do often get pulled into the kitchen on the holidays and at my friends places though by profession I'm a bartender :)

I use a 13.5" pan for us - (tons of leftovers) and i have a 16.5" pan i have used for a cookout that fed 6 -- (heh 4 big guys and 2 GF's)

I use BOMBA rice (picked up from sur la table). I have used this before and it really makes a great dish.

Penzey's supplied the kashmir saffron - 1 tsp. I like alot. (penzeys rocks they have an entire kitched cupboard of mine stocked. hehe)

last night was a seafood paella - i prepared it over my charcoal grill using my big green egg. heres a quick rundown if you are interested.

first made the stock - took some chicken stock store bought, added carrots/celery/onion/blk.ppr/bay leaves/parsley- boiled the lobster in the stock - removed and shelled, reserve meat - added shells back to stock and added 1 lb U-10 peeled shrimp shells. reduced that in half and strained to make about 5 cups of richly flavored seafood stock. Put strained stock back into a saucepan, season with salt and pepper- bring to boil and add 1 tsp saffron - turn off heat - cover keep warm.

Other quick prepwork: 1 green bell pepper, 1 red bell pepper - diced; 3 stalks celery, bias-cut; 1 onion, diced; 4 cloves garlic, minced; 2 large tomatoes - minced, peeled.

Whole Foods: 3 calamari steaks, 1 lb U-10 shrimp (big ones!), 1x dozen mussels
Peel shrimp, save shells for stock - cut calamari steaks into 1" strips, scrub mussels.

Start grill: charcoal only!

Get pan on - little oil - toss shrimp with some kosher & blk ppr. (S&P). Sear one side.
Remove. More oil - veggies - then garlic, then tomato puree.
2 cups rice - saute slightly - stir make sure its about 1" deep across pan. then never stir again - important to get the crust right.

Add 1/4 c. white wine - 3 cups stock. cook about 10 minutes - add more stock as needed to keep rice moist - 10 more minutes- rice should be done - add lobster meat, shrimp, calamari, mussels (place them hinge down so they kinda stand up) - close lid of grill or cover - 10 minutes.

remove to table - cover for 10 minutes. then DIG IN!

**important: any mussels that do not open - throw away.

ill post a pic when GF gets home (she took camera to work today)

Thanks for the rundown. You know what you're doing. I need to order some Bomba rice for when I have time to do this. You're right about Penzys. We have the headquarters here in Cheeseland, and I have a store about three minutes from my house. They are the best and are famous on Chef forums for the quality of their products.

So your crust turned out well? There's a term for that I can't remember offhand. I love paella, except Paella Negro (black rice from squid ink). Had it once at a tapas place in Chicago, and lets just say it didn't agree with me. There were multiple "incidents". LOL.

Post some pictures. I'd love to see them.

Kevin

Thanks for the rundown. You know what you're doing. I need to order some Bomba rice for when I have time to do this. You're right about Penzys. We have the headquarters here in Cheeseland, and I have a store about three minutes from my house. They are the best and are famous on Chef forums for the quality of their products.

So your crust turned out well? There's a term for that I can't remember offhand. I love paella, except Paella Negro (black rice from squid ink). Had it once at a tapas place in Chicago, and lets just say it didn't agree with me. There were multiple "incidents". LOL.

Post some pictures. I'd love to see them.

Kevin

the soccarat? (sp?) yea heat plays a crucial role - i find that a medium charcoal started first - after 25 minutes is about the perfect temp (shrimp cook = 5 mins, rice 2x 10 mins) - some say pull it and put it on a burner for 2-3mins over med high heat - to get the crust - i would say med low heat - crust is great - but burnt crust would ruin the dish. so err on the side of low heat

as for rice - the shorter the grain the better - so even if they dont have "valencia" rice - you could get away with arborio or koshigazi(sp? jap rice for sushi) but those will be a little too sticky for "authenticity" but as for most things in cooking - cook what you like, use what you can, and it will be good!

i havent priced any bomba rice - i paid $13 for a lb at sur la table this time - sure its kinda expensive - but it is the best - and i like to splurge on a good dish - hence the lobster hehe, i dont do it all the time - but when i recreate a challenging dish i tend to source the nice things.

ill post some tonight. have a good day - off to my lesson.

No idea yet, Liz is getting her nails done or something like that, lol. However, these were up on the wall in our kitchen when I got home. Think she's trying to tell me something??

P1020388.jpg

No idea yet, Liz is getting her nails done or something like that, lol. However, these were up on the wall in our kitchen when I got home. Think she's trying to tell me something??

P1020388.jpg
That's cute Duey :wink:

Not if I have to do the dishes. Our dish washer went out, so until I pony up for a new one it looks like dishpan hands for me, lol.

Kobe steak on the grill, red bliss potatoes, and green beans with some red wine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back