What's for Dinner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Beef Stew. Problem is that it's in the crock pot so we have to smell it all day!

oh man...I love sushi...sashimi even better. west coast has some excellent raw fish. yum

We are definitely spoiled with all the sushi spots out here. The place last night was amazing, but I left hungry and out a couple of hundred bucks. Plus they were blasting techno music the whole time. I really dont like going to hollywood. They had this Kanapachi with serrano peppers and some sort of ponzu that was one of the best things I have tasted in a while.

I don't like fish as a general principle, but I really like tuna pieces (is that sushi or sashimi? let's go with sushi for ease of reference). I had the best tuna sushi ever when we visited Tokyo. We were jet lagged, so we got up at like 5am and walked around the fish market, which is a huge site where all the fresh fish comes in and get's auctioned off to the restaurants around town. Apparently the largest such fish market in the world. Anyway, there are some great little sushi parlors all around the market, and we wandered into one and ordered some sushi for breakfast. The tuna was unbelievably fresh (it could well have been netted within a few hours of our eating it), and just melted in your mouth.

You went straight to the source, not only were you at a fish market, but you were in Japan. Im jealous.

I had the best tuna sushi ever when we visited Tokyo. We were jet lagged, so we got up at like 5am and walked around the fish market, which is a huge site where all the fresh fish comes in and get's auctioned off to the restaurants around town. Apparently the largest such fish market in the world.

We hit the fish market in Venice, Italy & it was unreal. There were dozens & dozens of strange looking creatures that I had no idea what they were.

We hit the fish market in Venice, Italy & it was unreal. There were dozens & dozens of strange looking creatures that I had no idea what they were.

so you didnt sample any of the weird looking critters?

so you didnt sample any of the weird looking critters?

Nope, weirdest thing we ate there was Horse. The waiter at our hotel did try to serve us what he describes as "like a snake" one night, he couldn't find the correct english term for it. I found out later it was eel, no thanks. And is if describing it was like a snake would make it more appetizing:confused2:

I am really tired tonight so JB made me dinner. He made spaghetti and meatballs with loads of garlic (yum!) and real cheese (not the powdered stuff) it was delicious. Then he did the dishes too...I am a very lucky girl :)

A pic I took of the eels in the marketplace.
28mehj7.jpg
[/IMG]

Another pic of some of the sea creatures for sale.

19mbdz.jpg
[/IMG]

hmmm...looks like prawns and crawfish. and I love unagi (eel) sushi but cant say that "like a snake" looks very appetizing

That sounds amazing.

My mom has that pan. It' a really good pan.

That just strikes me as odd. I wouldn't recognize my mother's pots and pans if my life depended on it. Granted, she's not much of a cook.

That just strikes me as odd. I wouldn't recognize my mother's pots and pans if my life depended on it. Granted, she's not much of a cook.

When I'm home, I do the dishes.

And my mom is the best cook ever. And that is coming from someone who is the farthest thing from a momma's boy.

I have that roasting pan too.
Who makes meatloaf in a roasting pan? It seems like a way for them to push a new roasting pan on people. Ive always used either a loaf pan or rimmed baking sheet.

Chronic-Taco

When I'm home, I do the dishes.

Okay, that is also odd, and you've done it before. "Home" for adults is where they live, not where their parents live. Though again, my parents live in a place the family moved when I was halfway through high school, and which I loathed on sight. It was never, ever "home" to me.

Anyway, we may not have a zen dinner place, but I do make the occasional dinner that's big enough for two meals. So tonight is round two of Beef Bourguignon, from the freezer. It's gonna be a nutsy day, so I'm glad I don't have to cook on top of it.

chicken breasts sliced thin and sauted in olive oil with a little basil and some homemade mac and cheese baked in the oven....mmmmm mmmmmmm good.

Okay, that is also odd, and you've done it before. "Home" for adults is where they live, not where their parents live. Though again, my parents live in a place the family moved when I was halfway through high school, and which I loathed on sight. It was never, ever "home" to me.

My parents have lived in the same house since I was 3. It's where my family is. It's home.

"Home" for adults is where they live, not where their parents live. Though again, my parents live in a place the family moved when I was halfway through high school, and which I loathed on sight. It was never, ever "home" to me.

My parents have lived in the same house since I was 3. It's where my family is. It's home.

We moved to Kansas City when I was 6. Our parents bought the house that I was fortunate enough to be able to buy after our mom died. So in my case, my home is also my old home. I have lived here for a month over six years (which is the longest I have lived anywhere since I moved out of this same home after college! My case is different than most, but I will agree with Harry that this house always seemed like home to me whenever I came back to it. Granted I was never far from it (the biggest distance I ever lived away from here was about 20 miles, other than the 125 when I went to college).

And I don't have any idea what we are having for dinner tonight!

No doubt I'm overthinking this one, but calling your parent's house "home" sounds like you're still waiting for some elusive milestone--marriage, kids, whatever--for your own real, adult life to begin. I think this is more common (traditionally) with women than men, because we'd all been brought up to see marriage/kids as the real goal anyway.

So my overwrought point is that your real adult life doesn't begin at that milestone you haven't reached yet. You're living it right now. And the place where you live IS home.

Lecture over--I'll go do my mom thing elsewhere (like in the direction of those two whiny kids who are spending yet another snow day in the office).

Anyone have a Del-Mars around them? I have tried it once because it was new in town. Let's just say my wife and I were very unimpressed with it and most likely will not make a return trip.

For dinner tonight I think we are having smoked sausage, seasoned fries covered in cheese and bacon bits. :alien2: :banana:

Anyone have a Del-Mars around them? I have tried it once because it was new in town. Let's just say my wife and I were very unimpressed with it and most likely will not make a return trip.

For dinner tonight I think we are having smoked sausage, seasoned fries covered in cheese and bacon bits. :alien2: :banana:

never heard of Del-Mars? what is it?

Hummmm. Another Claire-started thread that reached

1000postsSG.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back