What's going to happen to MLB and the NFL?

So MLB does not have a bubble and 14 or so Marlins tested positive forcing to cancel their home opener and the Yankees/Phillies game as the Phillies just played the Marlins. So do these non bubble sports have a chance or is this a one-off situation? Do the non-bubble players need to take this more seriously?
Done and Done!

Unless the miracle "elixir cure all" comes fast.

there is a wide level of college teams...and even then greatest college teams of all time are a big gap from being a professional in that sport. high school Kobe or Lebron would be destroyed by them in their NBA prime. The same is true when comparing WNBA players to their college selves. If the rules of the game were those played during the late 80s - mid 90s....thug ball. (I'm huge Bad Boy Piston's Fan) then I would not make the same claim because physical mauling high schooler could keep the game closer.

But with freedom of movement in the modern game, that is neutralized. And the vastly superior skill set of a WNBA team would mop the floor with a "good high school boys" team.
We just watched The Last Dance MJ documentary and it reminded me how much I hated Detroit back then! lol I think I remember Robert Parrish flailing his arms and catching Lambier on the beak and Lambier wearing the Hannibal Lecter mask from then on - one of my favorite moments of the NBA because I HATED Lambier!

Anyway, even with the more modern style of play, I'd take a HS team like Yates in Houston (I assume they are still perennial contenders for the State title in Texas) against the best the WNBA would have to offer. They could get to the rim effortlessly on every possession, would score on a lot of breakaways, would completely dominate the boards and would stifle the ladies offense - I have no doubt of that.

Maybe I'm wrong but that's one WNBA game I'd LOVE to see!

Don't know, and as an added bonus, don't care. F those millionaire babies.

Seems pretty straightforward, just watch hockey!

I will say, I was very impressed with MLB and their restart, nice to see the league stand for what is right. But the handling of the Marlins situation has been terrible.

I will say, I was very impressed with MLB and their restart, nice to see the league stand for what is right.
what do you mean "what is right"?

I will say, I was very impressed with MLB and their restart, nice to see the league stand for what is right. But the handling of the Marlins situation has been terrible.
Look at what’s going on with the Cardinals right now. There were several players that went golfing on Thursday. While golfing isn’t the issue, there is no oversight what the players are doing on those off days. They could have been golfing and then hanging out at the bar afterwards. I’m surprised they are even allowed to leave the hotel.

Baseball is done for. They cannot/won’t control the players and the players are going to act like invincible males in their 20s that have millions of dollars. Expecting anything else - well, they are just lying to themselves.

Look at what’s going on with the Cardinals right now. There were several players that went golfing on Thursday. While golfing isn’t the issue, there is no oversight what the players are doing on those off days. They could have been golfing and then hanging out at the bar afterwards. I’m surprised they are even allowed to leave the hotel.

Baseball is done for. They cannot/won’t control the players and the players are going to act like invincible males in their 20s that have millions of dollars. Expecting anything else - well, they are just lying to themselves.
Hope the NFL is taking notes....good notes too. I'm not sure how they'll control this without a true bubble, but no way that is possible for 4+ months -- and even longer those that make the playoffs.

No way it happens, but smart move would have been a shorter season this year...but no way the owners (and TV too...) would allow that.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Hope the NFL is taking notes....good notes too. I'm not sure how they'll control this without a true bubble, but no way that is possible for 4+ months -- and even longer those that make the playoffs.

No way it happens, but smart move would have been a shorter season this year...but no way the owners (and TV too...) would allow that.

Did you see the all glass shields that some college teams are going to use now. Players are saying how they can’t breath in em now. Sure that’s going to end well if used.

It may be that if they want to play any football, it will be a shorter season.

Did you see the all glass shields that some college teams are going to use now. Players are saying how they can’t breath in em now. Sure that’s going to end well if used.
I'm not concerned about the on field contact, as all players/coaches will be tested throughout the week and prior to games. The issue I see is monitoring where players go when they are not at practice or games. Hell, the NBA guys were trying to sneak out and were ordering food delivery...and one went to a strip club while attending his relative's funeral.

I mean, even with a bubble its been tough keeping control. As baseball is showing, leave it open to players to do the right thing and they're destined to fail.

I'm not concerned about the on field contact, as all players/coaches will be tested throughout the week and prior to games. The issue I see is monitoring where players go when they are not at practice or games. Hell, the NBA guys were trying to sneak out and were ordering food delivery...and one went to a strip club while attending his relative's funeral.

I mean, even with a bubble its been tough keeping control. As baseball is showing, leave it open to players to do the right thing and they're destined to fail.

I agree regarding the potential issues brought into play by the players activities outside of their football activities. I don’t know if there is any realistic way to contain or prevent this other than personal accountability.

I don't see either league finishing the season without major issues -- look at baseball in only a few days.

I don't see either league finishing the season without major issues -- look at baseball in only a few days.
Baseball players will either get their sh*t together or the league ends mid-August. Can't keep kicking the schedule can down the road and the owners/players balked at the hub city concept....so this is it with no alternative.

Please don’t try and derail things And turn this into another political thread.
No, not trying to derail this thread just didn't understand what you meant. If you make a statement and don't want to explain it maybe you shouldn't have made it in the first place. I still don't know what you meant by they did the right thing?

Last edited:
I just don’t see how the NFL can play if they don’t do a 180 and figure out how to bubble.

The NFL should forget about starting the season in September. Build between 2-4 bubbles for teams to play. Start the season in late October for 8 - 10 games max. Then playoffs.

You can bubble for that long.

only shot the NFL has is either completely ignoring those testing positive or creating bubbles.

I just don’t see how the NFL can play if they don’t do a 180 and figure out how to bubble.

The NFL should forget about starting the season in September. Build between 2-4 bubbles for teams to play. Start the season in late October for 8 - 10 games max. Then playoffs.

only shot the NFL has is either completely ignoring those testing positive or creating bubbles.
Only thing preventing this is the TV networks and NFL owners. If they BOTH are willing to take a little less they'll be able to keep the product on the field and playing.

For their sake, baseball failing might be the example they need.........

No way they bubble. It's a heck of a lot easier to do in the NBA with only 13 players on a team. In the NFL we're talking 70+ per team and that's not including staff.

It will be interesting to see how this shakes out and how many players opt out.

Pats had 6.
Chiefs lost their starting RB.

Interesting times!

Add that to the fact I'm all set with the NBA and MLB due to them pandering to BLM. Still waiting for a free Hong Kong jersey or a pro police jersey. I think I'll be waiting a long long time.

I'M guessing the NFL won't be far behind and I will have to Reevaluate my season tickets.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

No, not trying to derail this thread just didn't understand what you meant. If you make a statement and don't want to explain it maybe you shouldn't have made it in the first place. I still don't know what you meant by they did the right thing?
Wasn't him. Was another member.

I echo that post - almost every word of it. Well said! I've been a huge NFL fan since childhood, and an NFL Sunday Ticket holder for over 10 years - even switched to DirecTV from Dish just so I could get it. I cancelled my Sunday Ticket subscription last month and won't watch a single game going forward. We also dissolved our fantasy football league and Monday Night Football get-togethers.
I haven't followed MLB since the first players strike. Never played football (or basketball), so never followed, never cared. But I have both IRL and on-line friends that did. Did. They all say much the same thing: The players bringing politics into something they used to watch for entertainment--to leave the insanity behind for at least a couple hours every now and then, have utterly ruined it for them.

So, yeah, as somebody earlier suggested: Pro sports' problems may be way bigger than a pandemic that will eventually burn itself out.

No way they bubble. It's a heck of a lot easier to do in the NBA with only 13 players on a team. In the NFL we're talking 70+ per team and that's not including staff.

It will be interesting to see how this shakes out and how many players opt out.

Pats had 6.
Chiefs lost their starting RB.

Interesting times!

The Olympics can create a village for over 6500 athletes, the NFL can figure out a few bubbles.

If the NFL and TV want football, they need to recognize sacrifices will need to be made. Better to have half a season vs nothing at all.

I haven't followed MLB since the first players strike. Never played football (or basketball), so never followed, never cared. But I have both IRL and on-line friends that did. Did. They all say much the same thing: The players bringing politics into something they used to watch for entertainment--to leave the insanity behind for at least a couple hours every now and then, have utterly ruined it for them.

So, yeah, as somebody earlier suggested: Pro sports' problems may be way bigger than a pandemic that will eventually burn itself out.
My only issue with the league's political stances is that it really comes down to money.

The NBA is in bed with China where real human rights violations are going on and they pretend nothing is happening.

295f2e1a5b317d99b58eef2f8523468e.jpg

My only issue with the league's political stances is that it really comes down to money.

The NBA is in bed with China where real human rights violations are going on and they pretend nothing is happening.

^^^^^^^^^^
This

don't ask where your clubs are made :banana:

Back