What's more demoralizing as a golfer?

What's more demoralizing on a golf course... ?

• A topped tee shot on a long par 5

Votes: 14 17.1%
  • A missed, short birdie putt

Votes: 17 20.7%
  • A flubbed chip

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • A three-putt from an easy location

Votes: 21 25.6%
  • Something else

Votes: 8 9.8%

• Total voters
It's either a topped tee shot or a flubbed chip.

My most demoralizing moment was when I hit a bomb drive on a shortish par 4 that left me 50 yards from the green. I proceeded to shank, back to back sand wedge shots. I only moved the ball about a total of 20 yards forward and 25 yards sideways. :mad:

Missing a short birdie putt.

When you don't have many of them of any length to begin with, missing the short ones are even tougher to accept.

All of the above shows up for me on a typical round.

Three putt for me. Most of the others still give you at least a chance to recover for par - a three putt is just about always a bogey or worse.

I hate all of them, but chipping twice or 3 times only slightly deflates me more than the others

My "something else" is a fat shot... Unfortunately, when my back is hurting, I'll hit several fat shots after good drives and it just irks the Hell out of me!

Three putt for me. Most of the others still give you at least a chance to recover for par - a three putt is just about always a bogey or worse.

x 2 here...

3 putts are just devastating to me. I’m at the point now where I don’t care if I make a long putt. I just want to get it close enough for a tap in and get off that green in 2 putts or less...if I’m lucky.

I hate the tipped tee shot in a long par 5. I tend to do that to often.

I hate the tipped tee shot in a long par 5. I tend to do that to often.

that used to crush me...but eventually, I learned that I could recover from that with a decent 2nd and/or 3rd shot...I mean, I'm definitely behind the birdie/par power curve but there's hope...not much...but hope, nonetheless

It's not any one thing for me, it's more the frequency at which the myriad of failures occur, and the cumulative effect they have on the score.

It really seems to hit home when I set my self up for a par or better, and walk away with a bogey. The bogeys and doubles come with my skill level. I can handle that. It's the fact that I rarely have the game to offset them with enough pars or occasional birdies to shoot in the low 90's.

A breaking birdie putt with the flag in and it hit’s the pim and deflects off. If the pin was out, it goes in. Happened to me twice now. Happened to a buddy twice as well and another buddy once.

that used to crush me...but eventually, I learned that I could recover from that with a decent 2nd and/or 3rd shot...I mean, I'm definitely behind the birdie/par power curve but there's hope...not much...but hope, nonetheless

Yeah, last week I crushed the 3W about 250 and left myself 100 yards out. Dropped the wedge 2.5 ft from the pin for birdie. Ha! I figured this game out for the week. It was the 18 th hole so I’ve been hanging my hat on it all week. :p

I had a flubbed chip today after piping a mighty drive within 20 yards of the green. I saved par but I was bummed because I never can put it all together.

Going with the 3 put from an easy location, nothing more frustrating

Have to say that it would be a three putt for me, especially when I manage to get on a par 5 in 2. I don't reach too many Par 5s anymore in 2 and then to 3 putt really is demoralizing.

First of all, what league are you playing in that has that kind of cash for closest to the pin & birdies? Damn! I need some of that action. (y)

Flubbed chip for me. Nothing else quite ruins a good hole in the same way. I almost landed on the missed birdie putt, but I'm happy with a par.

There's nothing like a top, especially off the box when 3 seconds before you were hoping to make a par at worst.

Flubbed chip. It's especially annoying because I know when to use putter/hybrid off the green and in situations that I think I can chip it and flub it I scold myself for not trusting the putter/hybrid to give myself a look at saving a score.

Missed short birdie putt...…. when you don't have the opportunity very often, it's hard to leave them out there :rolleyes:

For me there needed to be an all of the above.

All on the list are demoralizing but I voted other: drive blown OB.

Not a solid shot maybe biting off too much while hugging a side or dogleg that finds OB. More that "what in the heck was THAT?" slice or hook.

Especially such shots blown right, they get in my head. Struggling through a spell with them right now.

The rest on the list, I can mentally shrug off more easily and approach the next shot/putt with less apprehension. But not that tee shot, my mind is usually swimming with thoughts. ?‍♂️

The Three-Putts are the worst for me. I feel like if I'm not able to get the flat stick to work for me, there's no chance of scoring this round. I'd may as well just change my focus to having a good time.

Back