Whats so great about the people at Callaway?

Badger_Golfer

Reaction score
Handicap
Forgive my ignorance here but I see so many times when people talk about Callaway and why they choose to support or use Callaway products that they do it partly because of how great the people behind Callaway are. So much question is, why and whats so great about them?

Are you familiar with The Grandaddy?

Forgive my ignorance here but I see so many times when people talk about Callaway and why they choose to support or use Callaway products that they do it partly because of how great the people behind Callaway are. So much question is, why and whats so great about them?
This past winter a guy in my league posted on Facebook that the crown of his Epic driver cracked. I gave him the customer service number. He called and in less than 2 weeks he had a brand new Epic Flash at his home.

I’ve been fortunate to meet people at other OEMs and they have been great too. But there is something unique and special about the Callaway crew. Does that mean every single one of them is my bestie? No. But overwhelmingly they are a special lot.

Callaway is a big sponsor here and they do some amazing things for average hackers like myself. It would be hard not to get behind people that actually want to help people in this world.

I’ve met some of the staff at different OEMs yet Callaways just stands out. Their CS has always been the most willing to help me out on whatever issue or problem I was having with their equipment.

Also, the grandaddy is unlike anything else and Callaway absolutely lays out the red carpet for a bunch of random internet golfers.

It’s easy to treat your tour pros with such high praise but to invest so much in THP and the average joe golfer speaks volumes.

Callaway is a big sponsor here and they do some amazing things for average hackers like myself. It would be hard not to get behind people that actually want to help people in this world.

Actually the sponsorship is not what people think. Every one of our sponsors is listed at the bottom of the forum for transparency and most companies are involved here.

I think many of the Callaway people as THPers who happen to work for a golf OEM. I can relate to them, and that's really cool. Callaway and THP are also very closely connected through years of events/experiences. My opinion (please don't beat on me too hard for having an opinion) is that because of that long and consistent relationship with THP and THPers, Callaway does get a little extra love here for their equipment. And I think that's fine. They make outstanding golf equipment. They engage. They listen. They contribute. They are very generous. It makes sense. Nothing about humans and golf is purely objective. I have a developed a fondness and big respect for Callaway through THP. They earned it.

My experience with Callaway has been awesome. Call them and you can talk to a live person. They have always been helpful and accommodating. Great advice as well when making purchases. Not to mention I’d say they are more involved with the golf community than any other. Podcasts, live forum, and a chat room on their site. The list goes on.

I have no experience meeting people from other OEMs, so take that in stride. However, whether it has been my dealings or those of my golfing buddies, I've seen Callaway's Customer Service do some incredible things for issues to clubs that other OEMs would refuse to address because the club would be considered way out of warranty. Add to that my experience with the people I met at #TheGrandaddy. Every one of them was just a genuine person. They are friendly, approachable, and sincerely welcoming. Every single employee, from marketing people, to executives to even people behind the scenes, the administrative assistants, were truly interested in seeing us have the experience of a lifetime. No aloofness, or looking down on us because we weren't part of the industry or because we were just "average Joe's". To this day I can email any one of them and get a response. No gone and forgotten.

I think it has to do with their culture. They really want every single golfer to enjoy golf so they make equipment that makes it as easy and fun as possible and then they serve their customers in a manner that makes them easy to trust giving your money too.

I've never been lucky enough to be part of a THP Event, but Callaway (along with THP) puts on the Grandaddy every year, where the attendees enjoy a tremendous experience. If you take a read through some of the past Grandaddy threads, you can see for yourself what an unforgettable experience it is. This year they're also doing the Grandmama, a parallel event which promises to be amazing. A number of Callaway employees are members here and engage regularly in the forums, answering questions and providing information for other members. They also regularly participate in livestreams and podcasts, where they engage with the community, take questions and discuss various topics. And then there's the great customer service they offer, as several people have already talked about.

They're not the only OEM involved in the THP community by far, but they're probably the most involved and most prominent one, and that's purely by their choice.

i know it is easy to think it’s the Grandaddy and free gear. It’s more than that. Many of us from my 2018 Grandaddy team still have contact with the ZooCrew members. It’s nearly two years after the fact. Those guys don’t have to reach out to us or respond to us. They are just good people. I think they enjoyed our company too so it’s natural to stay with in touch.

They engage, they listen to what golfers want (Except for the Mavrik orange. No one wanted that.), they make great products, and they stay accountable on all fronts. That's all I'd ever ask for.

I’ma fan of Callaway because they push the ball forward, so to speak, with R&D. Drivers and irons are rock solid for my game. But the real interest I have in the brand has been the openness of the people involved. There are plenty that do it well here and Callaway does it well

Last edited:
I could write a novel on why their crew is so great but it comes down to some pretty simple things. 1. They care. They care about the consumer. They care that their equipment actually performs year after year and they want their customers to enjoy the game whether it's with their equipment or not. 2. They're just good, fun people. Most of the crew are people you would like to hang around with, play a round of golf with or just have a beer with. It's just enjoyable to be around them.

I'll also say I've had the opportunity to meet a few other people from other brands and they have been awesome as well. It's experiences like those that lead me to give those brands first shot in my bag year after year.

Actually the sponsorship is not what people think. Every one of our sponsors is listed at the bottom of the forum for transparency and most companies are involved here.
I was just trying to be brief with my answer.
I realize the list at the bottom and a lot of those sponsors put on events throughout the year that members here get to go to or be apart of somehow.
👍

It is how they respond when questions are asked, it is how they are willing to take time out of their day to do some of the live chats, it is responding to an email when the question is just something simple, it is being able to banter with them and it them throwing it right back at you.

maybe it’s the booze talking but i’ll give you my $0.02

through thp events, i’ve met oem reps from cobra, titleist, snell, project x, and callaway. there are great reps from all, but not all of them are great if that makes. but i didn’t connect with everyone from callaway.

for those with whom i did connect, callaway and cobra are tied for my favorite. those with whom i connected are geniuses, giants among men in the industry, incredibly approachable, graciously engaging, and incomparably entertaining.

it’s one thing to have unfettered access. and don’t get me wrong, that is AWESOME if you make the effort to take advantage of the opportunity. but it’s another thing to be with someone who is such a big deal, yet is just like you: a family man who loves golf and golf gear and talking about golf yet has forgotten more about gear and the game than you will ever know. and convinces you there is nowhere they would rather be than by your side, engaging. it’s those moments when you simultaneously find yourself similarly connected yet miles apart. it’s a wonderful moment only possible through thp.

Lookk up The Grandaddy and every event they’ve held with THPers and that will give you a good start.

Then follow that up with how they handle engagement on social media and how they handle customer service. They understand golfers have choices and do their best to make sure your hard earned dollars return value if spent with them. If that’s not enough, they have some of the best golf equipment available to help amateur golfers play their best.

I spent a few days at Callaway HQ in Carlsbad, met and talked to a lot of folks, including the CEO. They have a great corporate culture, and really do strive to provide a quality product and great customer service.

ps: had lunch with Amanda Balionis too. :)

Last edited:
I have been fortunate enough to be involved in a couple of events with the guys from Callaway and they are as advertised. They all all very personable. Very approachable and will go out of there way to make you feel as comfortable as possible. There love of the game is just as crazy as ours.

I think the main thing that has set Callaway People apart is their willingness to put themselves out there, and stay out there. Not everyone will mesh perfectly with them or bond as quickly as others, but they are out there for those that want to.

I think spectacular service is just ingrained in their culture. Everything from customer service to engagement and follow up is stellar. Add to that, they’ve done really well at putting together teams of people that are cohesive and buy into the vision. It comes across so clearly in The Grandaddy every year.

I’ll take it one step further. Recently, many of the key personnel at Callaway was let go for obvious reasons. Reading their posts on LinkedIn & the responses from people is all you need to know. Good people.

Back