What's the best way to be active and not annoying in the forum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankA

Catch ya on the flip side
Reaction score
Looking for advice from those who have been around for a while.

Tap Tap Tapatalk

Being active is just that, being active. Being annoying is subjective. I don't believe in "stupid" questions and I like it when people make the effort to answer questions or get involved. My best advice: be yourself.

Looking for advice from those who have been around for a while.

Tap Tap Tapatalk

Just talk about stuff that interests you. If you like equipment, talk about it. Talk about your rounds and range sessions. Pop into the banter thread every once in a while. This is a very easy place to have a good time without fear of someone jumping on you.

Being a female, I really felt awkward at first because this forum is 99.9% men. Luckily for me, my husband was already an active member so it made it a little easier for me to jump in. Just read all the threads that interest you and post when you have something to contribute. I occasionally start a new thread when there is something I want to discuss and I have always received great feedback from members. Just be sure to do a search first to make sure there's not already a thread on the subject.

The most annoying thing for me is when someone thinks their opinion is the only opinion and they are rude to others who disagree. Be respectful of others and you will be respected.

Id agree with using the search function and just being yourself. People get annoyed when people start new threads when theres already threads that answers the question.

The most annoying thing for me is when someone thinks their opinion is the only opinion and they are rude to others who disagree. Be respectful of others and you will be respected.
Amen to that, sister! People tend to get brave on a forum and say things they never would in real life though because they can hide behind their computer.

Being a female, I really felt awkward at first because this forum is 99.9% men. Luckily for me, my husband was already an active member so it made it a little easier for me to jump in. Just read all the threads that interest you and post when you have something to contribute. I occasionally start a new thread when there is something I want to discuss and I have always received great feedback from members. Just be sure to do a search first to make sure there's not already a thread on the subject.

Follow this wisdom. KB is the bestest person on the whole forum. I would also say to always reread before posting. If you wouldn't say it to the persons face, delete it

Using the Search function is important to me too. I hate the constant regurgitated thread topics. Does everyone know who to conduct an Advanced Search?

-in the upper right hand corner of any screen is a search box, click on "advanced search" underneath it.
-change box (next to Keyword Search) to "Search Title Only"
-type in topic or words you are interested in

Just talk about stuff that interests you. If you like equipment, talk about it. Talk about your rounds and range sessions. Pop into the banter thread every once in a while. This is a very easy place to have a good time without fear of someone jumping on you.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. I will add that there have been a few times where a post I made was criticized and it might appear that someone was "jumping on me". But they weren't really. It's just that my level of golf expertise isn't as great as some others on this site, and my thoughts are geared towards someone with a high handicap because that's the game I'm familiar with. So I've actually learned a bunch when others have added or corrected something I might have stated in a post of mine. So just post and have fun, and don't sweat it wondering if you're "saying the right thing". Hang around here enough and you'll make some new friends and your game will improve, that's practically a guarantee.

Amen to that, sister! People tend to get brave on a forum and say things they never would in real life though because they can hide behind their computer.

Not on topic, sorry Frankangotti, but your avatar is hilarious.

Just hop in and join in the discussions! So many topics are entirely based on opinion so feel free to share yours. Try to avoid the +1 or a bunch of one worded posts - you will then look like a post *****.

Like you, I joined out of the blue and just made myself involved; everyone has always been EXTREMELY welcoming!

Tappin' from my iPad!

Well that's just stupid! hahaha

Seriously, as has already been said, just be yourself and join in on coversations that interest you. If you have trouble finding something in the Golf forum, there are other forums that discuss things other than golf. It's hard not to find something to talk about here.

RE: The search function. Yes, and advanced search is the better method. Check to see if something has been brought up before. This place is almost three years old and has over 22,000 threads. Odds are pretty good that if someone wants to ask about rangefinders or GPS, that it's been brought up a time or two or fifty before! hahaha Searching within titles is the way I do it instead of searching through posts. You can also go to each forum and sort by title, I do that a lot.

A lot of new members came originally because of a contest, or a testing opportunity. Remember that THP is more than just that. Just jump in and have fun. As KB alluded to, it's OK to disagree (this place would be really boring if everyone thought the same and had the same opinions), but being rude is what gets you in trouble.

+1 to all of the above. Just be careful about response bombing every thread though. There's a fine line between responding and spamming. Spend enough time here you'll know the "regulars" and be part of the convo instantly. Have fun with it and there's nothing wrong with a little intellectual discussion here and there.

Plus you should find someone really cool who lives in your area. Pay for his round and just bask in his awesomeness. I do happen to live in NC:beauty:

Plus you should find someone really cool who lives in your area. Pay for his round and just bask in his awesomeness. I do happen to live in NC:beauty:

But you are assuming you're awesome.

I'm thinking maybe get you a Season Pass to Lonnie Poole...is that sufficient?

Priceless!

I'm thinking maybe get you a Season Pass to Lonnie Poole...is that sufficient?

That sir might even get you invited to Case de Chunky for Sunday football. I just happen to be playing there tomorrow:golf2:

I actually find pleasure in just being annoying...lol

YOu're assuming the Razr Hawk is the answer when perhaps it's the Octane.

Hmmm. You are right with that. Must take this to the ponder thread

That sir might even get you invited to Case de Chunky for Sunday football. I just happen to be playing there tomorrow:golf2:

This may end the friendship before it even begins.....who do you pull for on Sundays?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back