What's the craziest thing you've ever seen on a golf course?

I saw a guy fall out of a cart and into a pond at a corporate golf outing, absolutely plowed... at 830 am..... how he got that hammered that early in the day is beyond me. How, the cart didn’t go in the drink is beyond me....

Also, watched a guy helicopter his driver about 20 feet up, into a tree, at a charity event after a particularly nasty drive.... that thing never came down... funny stuff. Lucky for him, he was midway through the back 9. Considering he played golf once or twice a year, he had absolutely no business thinking his tee shot was going to be a 300 yard poke, with a little baby draw. None.

EDIT: Oh, one more... it was a morning tournament at our club, our first hole was 18 and we had reached the green, adjacent to the 1st tee. One of the guys was late, his group left a cart for him. He runs up, throws his clubs into the passenger side of the cart (to this day, still no idea why) the clubs hit the gas and the cart blasts off of the top of a stone wall about 4 feet up...RIGHT above the bag drop... the cart teeters on posts extending from the bag drop and just as i thought it would flip on its’ roof, it sort of rights itself off the thing and lands on its wheels. He jumps into the cart and drives off.... ended up doing about $1200 damage to the suspension of the cart along with some body damage. It was NUTS...

Last edited:
I was playing by myself in the middle of the day as a teenager. I was using one of the old pink Bridgestone B series ball and when I hit it onto a green, a coyote ran out and picked up the ball. It dropped it after walking about 10 yards off the green.
Animal control had to come out and try to find it bc they were concerned it may have been rabid.

I didn’t know that was still going on. I knew a guy who used to go and he was one of the biggest creeps I’ve known.

Yeah, it goes on here in the STL area.

Not my scene. I enjoy the game enough as it is; I don’t need all that.

I posted it in the memoable rounds thread in the last couple days. But my roommate from college was the first to get marred after college. He had a huge group of friends and and groomsmen and a huge family. He had a scramble the day before the wedding and there was at least 7-8 groups of 4. I was in the last group and the grooms brother didn't get past the lady tees and they were enforcing the d**k out rule. He putted on the 18th with all the other groups watching. It was so funny.

Golf course parking lot. I'm just putting my clubs in the car when this REALLY nice car pulls up. Man and woman enjoy a passionate kiss and he gets out of the car and heads to a ratty old pickup. Just as the woman is pulling away another car comes screaming to a halt in front of her. Angry woman jumps out the the car and starts screaming at the first woman and the man. First woman calmly backs up her car and as she is leaving yells out "you can keep him, he's not that good".

Company golf tourney at Chardonnay golf club in Napa. We had specialty holes. Like the margarita hole, the jello shooter hole, etc. Pull up to the green on the absolute hole and my bosses wife and her girlfriend are getting it on behind a tree 15 yards off the green. We had to serve ourselves the absolute!:ROFLMAO: Needless to say, the company golf tournament had a major change after that year.

This year at Banbury in Idaho. 4 some behind hit into 4 some in front one too many times. Front 4 some finally teed one back at them. Boom 4 on 4 brawl. :oops:

We were standing on the 9th green when an ultralight made an emergency landing on the 9th fairway right behind us. Came to a stop a few feet off the green. Pilot and one passenger aboard - once we determined they were okay (other than the passenger being pretty shook up), I reminded the pilot that carts had to be kept a minimum of 35 feet away from the green.

9 Ultra.JPG

Nowhere near on that scale, but last Friday we were standing on the 5th tee and had a wild burro walk across the 4th green, stop between the holes and look at us, then walk across the 5th tee box right in front of us, heading toward hole #7. I was a little late with the camera, so only got a hindquarter shot as he was walking away.

Burro.jpg

When I was working on the golf course, I was setting the course up one morning and as I was driving down the 9th fairway toward the green to change the cup two huge bull elk came rambling out of the trees. These boys were in the midst of a big boy brawl. Neither would back down. I hit the radio and let the crew know what was going on. These big boys went at it for 10 minutes+. Finally the smaller of the two got his lucky "puncher's chance" shot in. He gored the bigger bull in the lung. They were both so exhausted. The gored bull stumbled to the lake and died right there. The younger bull wandered back into the tree line where (unbeknownst to us) his harem of about 6 cow elk were waiting it out to see who would be the victor and the bull that would lead them from there on out.

We called the Game and Fish. They gave us a tag for the fallen elk. We loaded him into the back of a truck with a tractor and butchered him behind the shop. Oddly, only about 4 of us wanted any of the meat. I had elk meat in the freezer for about a year after that. Backstraps were had that evening though. Yum!

A public course we played this past fall in a tourney has a friendly fox that comes out of the woods looking for food on one hole.
That's the first time I ever saw that. We looked like knuckleheads driving the carts away from it screaming thinking it was crazy or rabid.
I have a fox come around the house every night. In the spring we had 3 young pups that would play around on my hitting mat at night. To see one during the day we thought the worst.

Almost forgot about this one. Sad really. About 5 years ago a guy put a yoga mat down on the 5th green, doused himself with gasoline and set himself on fire. John, one of the starters at our course--a great guy--was alerted and sped over there as fast as he could and with a blanket got the fire out. But not before he had second and third degree burns, some still getting worse as some of the mat melted on him. John zoomed back to call an ambulance, but by the time he came back the guy had left.

We think he was a homeless person. There is an encampment along a creek that borders the course. Don't know what happened after that. We never saw the guy.

Almost forgot about this one. Sad really. About 5 years ago a guy put a yoga mat down on the 5th green, doused himself with gasoline and set himself on fire. John, one of the starters at our course--a great guy--was alerted and sped over there as fast as he could and with a blanket got the fire out. But not before he had second and third degree burns, some still getting worse as some of the mat melted on him. John zoomed back to call an ambulance, but by the time he came back the guy had left.

We think he was a homeless person. There is an encampment along a creek that borders the course. Don't know what happened after that. We never saw the guy.
WHAT?????

Some doozies posted already...

Oddest thing I saw was a dead groundhog in the tree at a tee box about 6 feet off the ground with a cigar in its mouth.

Last year playing an afternoon round on our local 9 hole course. They have foot golf as well :( and there was a group of about 10 young girls playing behind us. While waiting on the fairway at the 5th hole for the group ahead to get off the green we hear a scream. One of the foot golf girls had gone across the bridge from hole 5 to 4 in her cart and somehow drove the cart down the steep bank into the creek. There were two of them in the cart but fortunately neither was hurt. Just scared. To this day I don't know how she could have done that.

Last year playing an afternoon round on our local 9 hole course. They have foot golf as well :( and there was a group of about 10 young girls playing behind us. While waiting on the fairway at the 5th hole for the group ahead to get off the green we hear a scream. One of the foot golf girls had gone across the bridge from hole 5 to 4 in her cart and somehow drove the cart down the steep bank into the creek. There were two of them in the cart but fortunately neither was hurt. Just scared. To this day I don't know how she could have done that.
There's a local course not far from my house that's a beginner course. Par 3s and short par 4s. Hole #7 sits on top of a very steep, long hill. It's a 360 yd par 4 where the tee box has got to be 100' above the green in elevation. You occasionally get high school kids that put their golf cart in neutral and try and ride it to the bottom. It always ends up bad. No water but enough dips and ridges to launch a cart airborne.

I think you win the thread. It's going to be pretty hard to beat a guy lighting himself on fire!

I think you win the thread. It's going to be pretty hard to beat a guy lighting himself on fire!
Yeah. I mean....I've thought about lighting myself or my clubs on fire after some suspect golf swings, for sure. Never done it.

Today I heard some fire trucks going down the highway. Not too unusual as the course sits between to major roads. I get to 9 and see the trucks in the parking lot. Turns out someones car caught fire just sitting in the parking lot.

Back in the mid 90s I was on a long par 5 and then I hear this noise behind me. I turn around and it is a fire truck driving down the cart path. Apparently a guy had a heart attack on the green of the hole I was playing. Found out later he didn’t make it. There are worse ways to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Years ago, my wife and I were playing a local executive course. On the par 3 17th, she hit her tee shot and it's heading towards the woods along the right hand side. We waited a second and heard a huge "WHACK"; the ball comes screaming out of the trees and lands on the green. She was out of there with a two-putt par just like we drew it up.

Back in Summerlin Las Vegas, at a course I frequented we had a fella that came out a lot and dressed like a pro golfer. Always in pants, high end gear, and large bag, etc. He even had embroidery on his shirts and bag. The funny thing is that you could tell he was probably a mediocre golfer.

Anyway, one day he was doing ‘drills’ on the chipping green. He took up the whole green with hundreds of his own ProV1s. Hundreds. He monopolized the chipping area for hours until finally some old man came over and proceeded to light mr pro wannabe up for taking up the whole chipping area. Verbally accosted this guy and the whole course could hear it!

It was both awesome and scary!

I was playing by myself in the middle of the day as a teenager. I was using one of the old pink Bridgestone B series ball and when I hit it onto a green, a coyote ran out and picked up the ball. It dropped it after walking about 10 yards off the green.
Animal control had to come out and try to find it bc they were concerned it may have been rabid.
The ball or the coyote???

When I was playing in SC with a few of my kin folk, I watched a ball driven off a tee, land in the fairway take one bounce, land on the back of an alligator, bounce around like a plinko board until it finally came to a stop still on his back. The alligator a few seconds later decided to go take a tip in one of the 2 ponds that flanked the fairway and took the ball with it to the watery depths.

I got one, from my Dad, who passed away about 10 years ago. He was the original Walter Mitty - in that he has stories to tell - and while they were not made up - in any way, he was frequently at the right place at the right time - not for fame nor fortune, but for stories. So here goes.

Dad once he was an adult lived in DC. We are talking the 1920-30s (I think). He and my Uncle Lou used to golf any time they could, usually walking to Haines point with their clubs. Once the reflection pond was frozen over so Dad and Lou decided to walk across it to get home. You guessed it, Lou made it over, Dad had 1 step left to do the same, but, the ice won that day, Dad, clubs, all in the water - fortunately the reflection pond is not that deep, just deep enough to have Dad be miserable the rest of the walk home.

Another time - this one is better. They (Dad and Lou) were playing Rock Creek Park - same era, They were on the 18th green getting ready to putt, when an uninvited guest joined them. A bi-plane made an emergency landing on the course the wings were sheered off during the event, and the remains of the plane and UNinjured pilot came to rest - you guessed it, on the 18th green. For a while there was a photo of this, with pilot, Dad and Lou in the clubhouse.

Me, the only thing I had seen was a kid walking along with his playing dad, the kid bored to death, starts throwing stones at nothing in particular, sees a rabbit, about 5 yards away, side arms a small stone (like a skipping stone size) hits rabbit in the head and kills it (apparently) instantly. Kid grew up to be Kent Tekulve (kidding about that part). Never saw the kid or his dad again. I was not happy about seeing this all happen - but jeez, had to a million to one shot - kid was maybe 12?

Back