"What's the Lowest You'll Take?"

Being a sales rep for a living, this is par for the course. If it's something you legit need to get rid of, flip the script. Ask them, what's the most they are willing to pay. Most will give you a figure and you can work from that. Rule #1 (#2 or #3 depending on which book you're reading) in negotiation is never be the first one to name a price.

This doesn't bother me as much as, "How much are you making on this?" Drives me absolutely bananas! I work in S.A.L.E.S! My job is to make money off selling you something...not to come down on my price because you think I make too much!

Yep, I pretty much hate this question. Only thing worse is the "whistling gofer" - you know, the guy who walks up to something and asks, "how much does one of these gofer?" and when told the price, they rock back on their heels and whistle.
With the whistle, are they're doing the "WOW THAT'S HIGH" whistle? If so, I didn't know those people still exist.

I always reply back "show me your bank balance first"

With the whistle, are they're doing the "WOW THAT'S HIGH" whistle? If so, I didn't know those people still exist.
The too high a price whistle is the best part. Usually accompanied by their hands tucked firmly in their front pockets. :)

I get this all the time when I try to sell something. This question drives me insane.

If you'd like to make an offer, I'll kindly respond one way or another, but dont ask me how low I'll go. I'll go as low as my asking price!

Why do people always feel inclined to ask this?

Anyone else feel this way?

It's like you read my mind. I've been trying to sell my Mustang for a while. I got that question all the time. I'm not sure if that's worse or if it's worse when someone low balls you with an offer ~20% of the asking price. My favorite reply was, yeah, I'll take that much. Then, after you give me another 4 payments like that, I'll give you the car.

People are idiots.

The too high a price whistle is the best part. Usually accompanied by their hands tucked firmly in their front pockets. :)
I'm so glad that doesn't happen to me. If I ever got the "high price whistle"...it would be from a supply chain manager or a department head who balances their budget. I assume it would be followed by some form of, "Get out of my office." and you can insert your favorite curse word where you think it would fit in best

It's like you read my mind. I've been trying to sell my Mustang for a while. I got that question all the time. I'm not sure if that's worse or if it's worse when someone low balls you with an offer ~20% of the asking price. My favorite reply was, yeah, I'll take that much. Then, after you give me another 4 payments like that, I'll give you the car.

People are idiots.
Not a fan of "5 easy payments"?? I wouldn't be either with a 20% low ball.

Always enjoyed the line from Mitch Hedberg, "I want 4 easy payments and 1 really difficult payment!"

HA ! this is exactly what my usual answer is, "My lowest is higher than the starting price"

Being a sales rep for a living, this is par for the course. If it's something you legit need to get rid of, flip the script. Ask them, what's the most they are willing to pay. Most will give you a figure and you can work from that. Rule #1 (#2 or #3 depending on which book you're reading) in negotiation is never be the first one to name a price.

This doesn't bother me as much as, "How much are you making on this?" Drives me absolutely bananas! I work in S.A.L.E.S! My job is to make money off selling you something...not to come down on my price because you think I make too much!

What I was going to say as someone on the Procurement side of the table.

I just had this very question when I posted an old Honda mower on Craigslist. I said, "It's listed at X. Make me a reasonable offer." Haven't heard from him.

I have had success with listings that say "First $XXX." Seems to cut through a lot of clutter.

This whole thread is giving me negotiation anxiety. I hate it. I know I've overpaid for some things and walked away from others just because I thought the price was too high but didn't feel like haggling. If it's reasonable I buy, if not, I pass.

This whole thread is giving me negotiation anxiety. I hate it. I know I've overpaid for some things and walked away from others just because I thought the price was too high but didn't feel like haggling. If it's reasonable I buy, if not, I pass.
I think if you're not in a profession where negotiations tend to be the norm, this sentiment is probably shared by most. Probably similar to public speaking/talking in front of groups.

Don't be anxious. Something is worth what two people agree it is worth. Two people may think something is worth $100, and a different pair might agree on a price of $125.

Don't be anxious. Something is worth what two people agree it is worth. Two people may think something is worth $100, and a different pair might agree on a price of $125.
And some people expect to buy that same thing for $25.

First rule of a successful business

Your customer must be able to make a profit......otherwise he can not pay you.

Second rule

Your supplier must be able to make a profit , otherwise he will not be able to stay in business and supply you.

So many people forget one or other.

4152E578-E4F4-4081-BB59-402B39C476E8.jpeg

Ugh, had that today . Selling an iron which was hit a handful of times. Was told “it’s well used” . Dude if you want your clubs spotless do not hit them on keep on display. You could barely tell they were hit. I held my ground for mac price . They think your weak or dumb and fall for it. My prices are already low compared to others in less condition

Back