"What's the Lowest You'll Take?"

I dislike his question as well. My items are already priced very well compared to others and most of the time they are much better condition as well. Even if I’m wanting to offload I will not go below my asking price

I had a guy try to tell me the shaft I was selling was not worth the asking price and gave me reasons why not. Well just don't buy it, he then starting making offers and asking questions a lot. He then TOLD me I had to take his offer but had to reduce my price to include the shipping, yeah sure.

I got sick of him and told him my price is the price and took off the offer option and sold it for my price the next day.

Doesn't bother me most of the time. Haven't really put much thought to it.

I've both bought and sold things with something similar to that as the starting question.

If someone gets offended by a offer that is low and comes back with a snarky response I think of them as someone who would not be helpful if something went wrong with the sale. If someone politely makes me an offer that is too low I will politely decline. I will not be rude unless they have proven them self to be a waste of time.

#ChoosingBeggars

the best is when they need a deal because they have a sick kid and it’s their birthday and you’re going to ruin their Christmas. Why are you such a monster?! Accept a deal for half your asking price !! :LOL:

I get this all the time when I try to sell something. This question drives me insane.

If you'd like to make an offer, I'll kindly respond one way or another, but dont ask me how low I'll go. I'll go as low as my asking price!

Why do people always feel inclined to ask this?

Anyone else feel this way?

i ignore those messages...unless, I've been drinking then i'll reply with a price above my asking price.

I look at this "how low" question as a form of "haggling" over the sale price. It's sort of an art form. Two individuals trying to out fox the other.

I very seldom pay the seller's asking price. When selling something, I always ask for more than I will actually take. Very seldom do I get my asking price, but I am always happy with what I do get. It's a friendly game for me.

Although when buying, I don't usually ask the seller for their best price. What I usually do is just offer my best "cash" buying price instead. Saves time.

When I sell stuff, I always answer the buyer's "how low" question, with a "just make me your best offer" reply of my own. If we can do business, fine. If not, we tried.
This pretty much sums up how I feel about the question. I feel that it's a quick way for the potential buyer to gauge the seller's flexibility/willingness to bargain on the item.

Nobody wants to pay any more for an item than they have to. Perhaps a better way would be to ask the seller "is that the lowest you'd accept?" Personally I don't really want to offend somebody by making an offer on an item that's lower than what they are willing to take, but at the same time I'd like to get the most value for my dollar. I guess that's why I don't normally haggle much - if an item is for sale and I feel the price is reasonable then that's what I pay. Sure, I might have been able to get it for less, but like I said I felt the price was reasonable. It's kind of like driving 20 miles out of your way to save 3 cents on a gallon of gas. It doesn't make good financial sense

I had a guy drive 5 hours (one way) to check out my 3 series bimmer. It was a manual transmission and perfect, a desirable ride. Dude took it for a test drive, drove it like an a-hole and then offered 60% of ask. When I countered he offered the same figure and I said “have a safe drive home”, hopped in the car and drove off. I texted him the next day with “car sold at asking price”, which was true.

A bit off topic, but along the lines of “I hate people that lowball and are douches”.

I get this all the time when I try to sell something. This question drives me insane.

If you'd like to make an offer, I'll kindly respond one way or another, but dont ask me how low I'll go. I'll go as low as my asking price!

Why do people always feel inclined to ask this?

Anyone else feel this way?
Being in sales, this question is not really a bad one for many. Some don’t like trying to haggle or negotiate, so they rather just ask what’s the lowest you will take. That’s better than hitting the person with a super low number that starts out the sale in the wrong way.

Would you rather I say how about 100 on an item you are selling for 250 or just ask what’s the lowest you are willing to go?

I had a guy try to tell me the shaft I was selling was not worth the asking price and gave me reasons why not. Well just don't buy it, he then starting making offers and asking questions a lot. He then TOLD me I had to take his offer but had to reduce my price to include the shipping, yeah sure.

I got sick of him and told him my price is the price and took off the offer option and sold it for my price the next day.
My favorite was a guy who told me he could get the same item for less on the same site. I told him to take the offer if it was there because to my knowledge I was the only seller in North America. If you’re gonna BS, make sure you’re not holding the cards face up.

The easiest response is “the asking price, but if you’ve got a number in mind I’ll let you know if that works for me.” I can appreciate a good haggle but don’t disrespect me by asking me to take a bath in any deal. There needs to be give and take.

I remembered something while reading through this thread.

About 13 years ago, while getting ready for retirement, my wife and I decided we needed to buy a travel trailer, tow truck, and go see America.

I found an ad in the classifieds about a like new, used trailer for $17K. We looked up the model floor plan on the web, and decided it was one that would suit our needs. We set up a "look see" appointment with the seller.

After checking things out, in a driving desert thunderstorm no less, we decided to make an offer.

We knew we couldn't afford $17K, because we still needed to buy a tow truck for it. I told my wife I was going to offer the some stupid low price to start with, and that maybe We could get it for under $14K. This would give us enough left over to buy a truck.

I told the guy the best I could do was between $10K-$11K. His first counter offer was $10.5K.

We shook hands, done deal.

I had heard the term "impulse buying" before. However, the term "impulse selling" was very new to me.

It seemed the seller, and his wife were in the process of adopting a baby from some agency. He needed to get at least $9K from the sale to complete their adoption process.

It was a "win-win" deal for both of us.

Being in sales, this question is not really a bad one for many. Some don’t like trying to haggle or negotiate, so they rather just ask what’s the lowest you will take. That’s better than hitting the person with a super low number that starts out the sale in the wrong way.

Would you rather I say how about 100 on an item you are selling for 250 or just ask what’s the lowest you are willing to go?
If you ask me how low I'm willing to go, and have no interest in making an offer, my response will simply be the asking price. As I mentioned before I don't price things at inflated prices to be talked down. I price things to sell. Sure, there is usually wiggle room, but if I don't sell anything at my asking price, I know it's priced too high and I lower the ask.

About 13 years ago, while getting ready for retirement, my wife and I decided we needed to buy a travel trailer, tow truck, and go see America.

I found an ad in the classifieds about a like new, used trailer for $17K. We looked up the model floor plan on the web, and decided it was one that would suit our needs. We set up a "look see" appointment with the seller.

After checking things out, in a driving desert thunderstorm no less, we decided to make an offer.

We knew we couldn't afford $17K, because we still needed to buy a tow truck for it. I told my wife I was going to offer the some stupid low price to start with, and that maybe We could get it for under $14K. This would give us enough left over to buy a truck.

I told the guy the best I could do was between $10K-$11K. His first counter offer was $10.5K.

I had heard the term "impulse buying" before. However, the term "impulse selling" was very new to me.

It seemed the seller, and his wife were in the process of adopting a baby from some agency. He needed to get at least $9K from the sale to complete their adoption process.

That is an awesome win win - I definitely see the point in selling for as much as you need just to facilitate a quick sale. I won't sell if I'm going to lose money, but if I need something gone quickly, I will most certainly consider lower offers from the start.

For that question, the answer would be ”my asking price”. At least make an effort and make me a real offer

That sounds like Richard Ralwings type negotiation right there! But hey, great job on the deal. Like you said, it was win-win.

I always reply with a snarky comment, or just lead them on for a few days before I stop responding.

These people are imbiciles and not even worth the battery usage on your phone to deal with them. Its lazy pretend haggling.

Had a friend that when selling something and would get the "What's the lowest offer" question, would reply, "I'm not in the business of bidding against myself". Tell them to make their offer and would go from there. If the item has a OBO and if the buyer isn't willing to make an opening offer, they just kicking tires, give them a price and let them roll on by.

Haha I love it, worst question to ask a seller ever.

Have you tried including your feet in the product photos? Could prevent this question from being asked...

Most people list things at a price that leaves room to negotiate. I do agree that I hate the what is the lowest price you will take question and would prefer that the potential buyer leads with an offer. If someone asks me what is the lowest I will take I also respond with my listed price and say if you are interested make an offer I am not negotiating against myself.

I usually just double the price when they ask and never hear from them again.

Yep, I pretty much hate this question. Only thing worse is the "whistling gofer" - you know, the guy who walks up to something and asks, "how much does one of these gofer?" and when told the price, they rock back on their heels and whistle.

Back