Whats you favorite putter style and .....

donny475

I’m not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Why,
I have always gravitated to a mallet "style" currently a Spyder, how did you decide, have you tried others lately, blades and go back, tried a mallet and go back to the blade?

Whats your poison?

Blades or 1W style putters. The Chicago is a perfect balance between the two and has been wonderful for me.

FACFCFE2-9D3D-4BBC-93B9-86758D36C3FC.jpeg

I love the way blades look, but I when I was putting decently, it was always with a mallet. Now I cannot hit the broad side of a barn from 5 feet and in, so it truly doesn't matter what I use.

Why,
I have always gravitated to a mallet "style" currently a Spyder, how did you decide, have you tried others lately, blades and go back, tried a mallet and go back to the blade?

Whats your poison?
Anser style, 2>1 slightly.
Grew up with it. Tried several since THP. Can't do speed control with mallets -> too many 3 putts.

Have an original 2 ball blade that I still use from time to time. Went to a Scotty 2.6 putted ok with it. Then my son shows up with a Taylormade Spider. I liked it enough that I bought myself a new spider x. At this time it’s point and shoot.

I'm a mid to mallet kinda guy. Nothing has kicked out the 2ball.

I've tried a couple blade styles but just don't feel right over it. If I could find one to fancy my eye in a double bend, I might take an adventure.

Double bend is key here, don't like mallets without that either.

Blade but it has to be wider than a normal blade. Like Snicks, the Chicago is absolutely perfect and my favorite shape I've ever used

I want to like a blade and I've tried a couple at the store but my mallet I got when I started just out performs everything else I've tried. I'm just used to it. I do want a nice fancy one though.

The 7 style mallet has my eye.

Mallet. I have better distance control and am more accurate with a mallet than a blade. I could probably get along with a double wide blade, but I've never tried one to see.

Last edited:
Blade for me

But I took a very winding route to a blade putter. I started playing golf with mallets (was told that mallets had higher MOI and more forgiveness and thus better for beginners) but struggled quite a bit. Went through different variations of mallets, from mid mallets to large mallets to fang-shaped mallets. One day just for kicks last year I borrowed my cousin's old Taylormade Daytona Ghost blade putter for a round and for some reason I putted amazingly. And since that day I've been using a blade, and have felt much more comfortable with my putts.

To this day I regret selling this one.

3B3C2E98-49D2-45F6-A874-B98A8B22D8EC.jpeg

It's my favorite blade shape, I putted extremely well with it yet moved on and sold it. Of course you can't recreate that magic even if you buy another one.

Tied with this is the Odyssey Rossie. If Toulon would make a milled version of might be perfection for me.

Anser for me. The plumber’s neck and blade is a style that I have had success with for more than 20 years.

Rossie

Wide blade for me.

Blades. They appeal to my eye more and quite often come in at a lighter head weight. Never really had any success with anything heavier than 350 grams.

I love the Del Mar shape!

Blades or 1W style putters. The Chicago is a perfect balance between the two and has been wonderful for me.

That and the Long Island are the two Toulon head shapes that have really caught my eye.

Mallets for me, but was the Newport style for many years

Why,

Whats your poison?

I use a 16 year old Odyssey two ball, white steel centre shafted mallet. Can’t see me changing any time soon.

In fact, such is the decline in popularity of centre shafted putters, it led me to check with our pro to see if they’d been banned!

Used a Ping Zing for about 15 years before that.

Back