Whats your bad golf habit you are trying to break?

3 putts and also losing focus on shots

I don’t have any. Genuinely. That’s not to say there isn’t room for improvement, because there is. It’s not because of bad habits though, it’s because I’m a bit shite LOL.

Coming out of a shot/early extension. I know this is an issue and sometimes it’s like I can’t control it. I always want to look up and see a pretty shot. But anytime you do this you are all but guaranteed to see a terrible shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hit a bad shot and look down in disgust instead of following it out and not having to take a penalty.

After hurting my back and missing a few months on the course, I'm trying to make it easier on my back when playing. I'm really trying to make a less aggressive move in the down swing thru the finish. I've noticed more fairways and greens hit. I will take 1 extra club if needed and swing easier. So far it seems to be working for me. This may just become my new norm as myself, nor my back are getting any younger.

Tempo. My backswing gets quick at time which makes me wildly inconsistent.

The too long backswing. Was gone for a handful of years, my best golf ever, but reared its ugly head again over the last 2 years.

Maddening. Last time, a bad back and endeavoring to avoid that colossal shot of pain, was a natural limiter. But since receiving epidural shots, with pain gone, that limiter has (subconsciously) been removed.

I'm a slave to my fickle brain.

My worst one is when I blow a putt past the hole, I get mad and look away instead of watching the line past the hole.

Just playing like rubbish

Losing focus when the course is backed up and/or play is slow.

Randomly losing my driver swing at some point during a round and not finding it again for a few weeks. Seems to happen to me all the time. With the shoulder in recovery mode atm I have not really been trying to swing a driver in the last couple weeks. I have learned though that I can play most holes hitting a driving iron off the tee and still be longer then a lot of people. I find more fairways with it too. I am totally rethinking my approach to attacking the course from the tee now.

Need to stop my 2 way miss

leaving a club on a green and having to go back to get it ...:(

I need to keep my emotions in check, and I need to make more putts inside of 5 feet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swinging like a gorilla.

I’m 50 and want swing like did when I was 30 but really want to work on building my 70 year old swing.

Getting fed up with bad contact and loosing it. I stay really calm after bad bounces, slices, etc but an untimely chunk really tests my mental game.

Physical - Swaying back rather than rotating in backswing

Mental - List could go on forever but I'll say dwelling on poor shot(s) rather than focusing on the next one

I still can’t break the reverse C on my swings many times.

When I stay in control and swing with a good tempo, I start thinking I can get more and swing too hard. Then come the over the top pull hooks.

Really working hard on keeping my trail elbow in to p recent the over the top. Also I need to really focus on each shot one shot at a time!

playing different types of golf balls, going first when it isnt my turn.

I have a tendency to sole the club on the ground a little too heavily when I'm lining up my shots. I do it to different extents with every club in the bad at times. This leads to a poor take away. When I do it with the putter, they always come up short.

I have 99.9% eliminated my all-time worst habit which was losing my temper frequently on the course. No more yelling or club tossing or stomping around working myself into a rage about simply playing bad golf. Can't remember the last time I did that, maybe a year or two. Used to be every couple rounds, at least.

So I'm working now on my other worst habit which is cursing out loud. For that one I've adopted the rather silly approach of replacing expletives with unoffensive alternatives. When I have the urge to complain after a bad swing I say "Aw, shoot" or "Oh my" or some other anodyne exclamation. If that doesn't scratch the cursing itch, so to speak, I will just mutter a little stronger imprecation under my breath. But usually just "Doggone it" or whatever serves the purpose.

A good and very smart friend pointed out to me that it's very, very hard to make yourself NOT do something in the heat of the moment. After years of dropping F-bombs or worse after vexing shots you can't just tell yourself "keep your mouth shut, don't say anything". It's too hard. But it's easier to practice just saying "Oh boy" when you really want say something really nasty.

Last edited:
Back