Whats your bad golf habit you are trying to break?

I let bad play poor etiquette slow play etc ruin my round. Need to pay more attention to my game and less to other people.

and stay very well hydrated (i tend to not drink enough water early in the round).

seems at about hole 14 I start to let my hips slide vs turn in my swing. makes for some terrible driver swings on closing holes

I have 99.9% eliminated my all-time worst habit which was losing my temper frequently on the course. No more yelling or club tossing or stomping around working myself into a rage about simply playing bad golf. Can't remember the last time I did that, maybe a year or two. Used to be every couple rounds, at least.

So I'm working now on my other worst habit which is cursing out loud. For that one I've adopted the rather silly approach of replacing expletives with unoffensive alternatives. When I have the urge to complain after a bad swing I say "Aw, shoot" or "Oh my" or some other anodyne exclamation. If that doesn't scratch the cursing itch, so to speak, I will just mutter a little stronger imprecation under my breath. But usually just "Doggone it" or whatever serves the purpose.

A good and very smart friend pointed out to me that it's very, very hard to make yourself NOT do something in the heat of the moment. After years of dropping F-bombs or worse after vexing shots you can't just tell yourself "keep your mouth shut, don't say anything". It's too hard. But it's easier to practice just saying "Oh boy" when you really want say something really nasty.

Drop those "F bombs"... https://www.sciencealert.com/swearing-is-a-sign-of-more-intelligence-not-less-say-scientists

Lifting up out of the shot. I blame it partly on my bad back, but that is just an excuse. More concentration on my part is needed to break this habit.

Not shifting my weight properly on my downswing.

I need to keep my emotions in check, and I need to make more putts inside of 5 feet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Today I did both of those things on my morning 9. I initially was very frustrated after a rocky start. But I calmed myself and actually played pretty well. 17 putts for 9 holes with one 3-putt hole, several near misses and one lip out. I am starting to putt a little better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’m sure I have a ton of them I don’t even know about. A few of the ones I do know about:

Not really trying on long putts. Just whacking it in the general direction of the hole and hoping for the best.

Swinging too hard on par three tee shots over water resulting in pulls to the left.

Not eating anything before or during rounds that start before 9:00.

Letting one big number impact the rest of my round.

Hitting driver when there’s trouble on the right.

Trying to help the ball into the air with my wedges. Nothing like hitting a great drive, lining up a wedge and then hitting it 2/3 of the way to my target:mad:

Right now thinning shots... I blame the mat range session

Gotta stop coming over the top and pulling my driver and hybrid. Cost me a bunch of shots Friday 😑

The Impulse to "Hit" the ball instead of swinging through it, mainly with my irons. Not really a problem with Driver, FW and HYB.
This is sort of new for me since an injury.
Taking lessons to remedy it.
Any suggestions are welcome.

Failing to pick a very specific target. I know that it's important and that good things happen when I do it; but I'll go whole rounds forgetting to do it, or remember it late in the round on other days. I just can't seem to make it an ingrained habit.

Blatant mental errors/awful course management. For example, missing a shot right when I have the whole course to the left to miss.

My OTT issue bit me in a big way last weekend. I hit nothing but smothered hooks with my driver, and basically hacked my way through the course. This might have been the wake-up call to finally use the PlaneMate trainer that’s been collecting dust!!

The backswing sway. I’ve worked so hard to eliminate it. But a few times a round it seems to return. And inevitably causes me to hit a fat shot. The other is def the deceleration of short game shots. It’s a killer.

Flipping my hands with the irons. It started creeping in last season and has become an issue as of late.

Poor hip turn leading to early extension and the dreaded two-way miss, I fire my hips towards the target and then spin out often, it's really the result of bad advice early in my learning that getting the weight forward was something that required an exaggerated shift, it doesn't.

But I've been working like a dog at the range on Monty Sheinblum's deep hip turn, which is not his invention of course, he just explains it really well, and hopefully I'll see some results soon.

I can get a bit wristy on chips around the green. I usually catch myself after I hit a bad one.

Pulling driver on narrow fairways just because my friend did even though I know the correct choice for me was to hit 3w and keep it straight.

Got a bunch of terrible habits:
- Negative self-talk
- Drinking too many beers before the back 9
- Not focusing (randomly happens multiple times around. Usually the difference between a 72 and 78)
- Sometimes I just stop moving my lower body through my swing
- Not extending through the shot (t-rex arms)
- Last but not least, I often press a bet at absolutely TERRIBLE times :LOL:

Stay down threw the swing.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Poor swings with an iron in my hands.

swinging too fast. I get anxious and quick.

Sooooooo, im supposed to list my bad habits in 10,000 or less characters?????

Actually the whole managing the course thing mentally. As a high Handicaper i put pressure on myself to hurry, so I'm not that guy guilty of holding others up with slow play, and this results in either poor shot choices or inadequate pre shot prep.

Back