• Easy course

Votes: 7 17.1%

• Total voters

Qwkz51

El Conquistador
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Would you rather play a challenging course where you shoot 5-10 over your normal score. Or an easier course where you shoot 5-10 under? Some people prefer the grind and the challenge, others will take a win wherever they can get it. What's your preference?

Is any course really easy? 😂

that being said I’ll take the challenge but in the end golf is golf and I’m happy just to be playing it

I like a challenge so bring it on

All the courses within a 45 minute drive from my house are sub par and short. Give me a challenging course any day of the week.

I don't mind a challenge as long as the challenge is not just long and tight. Make it interesting.

Challenging. I want to think about the golf I'm playing and how I'm going to approach each hole.

Both! When I’m off, or coming off a break, I prefer to get into my groove (after a lot of range time) on an easy course. Once I’ve hit my stride and all 8 cylinders (well, let’s be honest, I probably only have 6 cyls these days) are firing... I do prefer a more challenging course.

Is any course really easy? 😂

that being said I’ll take the challenge but in the end golf is golf and I’m happy just to be playing it
I haven't found one yet, but I'm always looking :ROFLMAO:

I’ll take the challenging course any day.

Challenging, there is something to be said for a course that doesn’t instantly make you think to pull driver on all par 4/5’s.

I honestly feel like the title question and answers to it maybe aren't answers to the true question described in the OP. On a quick reaction most people are going to say challenging, but if the ratio continues as is I think there's some kind of disconnect between the answers and all the people that say they don't want/enjoy playing beyond their length, or around a ton of hazards, or on greens that don't hold anything. That's a pretty common theme that doesn't seem to jive so far.

Just me?

Whoever else joined me in “easy course” the rounds on me. We’ll play a simple one that I feel is way overrated (stroke and slope) that I feel is more a 71.4/115 not 72.0/130.

Maybe once all the trees grow up? Probably not even then. There are about 6 birdie+ holes. 6 par type holes. And 6 holes that par isn’t a bad place to be. The front is a pretty lily in a pond until you hit 8/9. 8 is a 488 yard par 4. It’s a beast, even for me. At best I’m hitting PW in. At worst it’s spring and I have a 1/4” of mud on my ball and I’m still 230 out and hit a 3w into the wind that comes up short....

9 is the ultimate risk/reward hole. It’s a par 5 of the same distance as 8. You pipe a draw (has to be a hard 20-25 yard draw or you are OOB) and you’re good. Good luck controlling that. I can reasonably hit a hard draw like that. I don’t even try anymore. 7i/7i/W. I probably play it to about a 4.8 now. Prior I had a lot of eagle looks. I also hit 3 off of the tee at least as often. Probably still average about the same but damn there were a lot of ruined 9’s on that hole. Lots of miracle finishes but some ⛄️.

I like golf more with an easy par. Damn I’m getting old.

Al long as a hit an acceptable amount of good shots per round, I could care less what my score is so I would pick the better/tougher course!

I honestly feel like the title question and answers to it maybe aren't answers to the true question described in the OP. On a quick reaction most people are going to say challenging, but if the ratio continues as is I think there's some kind of disconnect between the answers and all the people that say they don't want/enjoy playing beyond their length, or around a ton of hazards, or on greens that don't hold anything. That's a pretty common theme that doesn't seem to jive so far.

Just me?
I want the challenge at my length (5800-6200). If the course is set up properly it shouldn't matter which tee box is played as those issues should be there.

I want to know where the easy courses are that i can shoot 5-10 under my normal score; haven't found one yet. The only way i know to make a course that easy is to move the tees way up so you're hitting wedge or 9i into all par 4's, you can reach all par 5's in two with 4hybrid or less, and all par 3's are no more than 150yds. I could shoot 5-10 under my normal score on that course, but why? Where's the challenge?

I want to know where the easy courses are that i can shoot 5-10 under my normal score; haven't found one yet. The only way i know to make a course that easy is to move the tees way up so you're hitting wedge or 9i into all par 4's, you can reach all par 5's in two with 4hybrid or less, and all par 3's are no more than 150yds. I could shoot 5-10 under my normal score on that course, but why? Where's the challenge?

I was thinking the same thing. At 68 years old, I guess I'd have to hit the local putt-putt! FWIW, I can't stand courses where every par 4 is a Driver-short iron. Boring! Even with the current state of my game (I kind of let it slip last Summer), I enjoy a challenge and vow to be back on point this year.

First rounds in the spring after not playing for 5 months I will seek out a couple of easy courses. After that, bring on the challenge! 😎

Give me an easy course!

Depends on how I’m playing that day, lol. I played a new to me course the other day, and was a little off my game on top of that. It was a long day for me. It was still better than being at work. But a round is always more enjoyable for me if I’m having bird/ par chances frequently. Even if I mess them up, lol.

Just me?
I agree. At my age, I enjoy length, which does not typically add too much difficulty. However, golf is challenging enough as is, I would rather have wide open fairways and big greens with a fun course layout. At my skill level, punishing is not fun. It's not fun losing balls and taking strokes when you're only offline by 20 yards with your driver. I would also rather have a chance at beating my own personal best. "Hard" is slightly subjective so I'm sure I would work my way up over time to a new hard.

I watch others play easy courses and score 5-10 under their normal scores... I like to buck that trend and shoot higher... Like higher higher :cautious:

I don't think there is a course in existence that I can expect to shoot 5 - 10 strokes under my normal score. Even on an easy course, you still have to execute to score. With that said, I chose the challenging course option.

Also 5-10 strokes better than HDCP or even avg. is a big stretch, 10 especially. 5-10 strokes worse is easy depending on the course.

Harder the better! Need my stroke per dollar ratio high!

Back