Whats your favorite club from the fringe?

jdtox

Lord Tox
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
I still see a bunch of people using SW and the old timers will still use a 7i which is a shot I don't have. For me its typically it depends on how far I am from the flag but my go to club for little chip shots from the fringe is my set GW. I get a little more run out than my 54 yet still plenty of spin.

Usually going putter unless the fringe is unusually long. If long, I would go 54 or 58 for a short shot and 9 iron for a longer shot.

This is what I have been working on recently and AW or 9i seems to work best when I have plenty of green to work with.

More depends on where the hole is and what’s in the way vs what club I use. If there’s a lot to go over or it breaks a lot, I’ll use more loft and try and take that out of play. If it’s pretty flat, quicker it can roll the better and with hopefully not a lot of spin.

Depends on how much I have to the pin. If it allows for run out I'll use my 50*, if not my 54 or my putter if even less.

Depending on the shot, I use a 50 to a 56. That being said there is a lot to be said for putting from the fringed areas with a hybrid which gets the bal up on top of the grass a lot better than a putter and ha a fairly true roll.

I don’t usually play enough to feel confident with those touch shots on firm short grass so I use a putter.

100% dependent on distance to the pin and how the green slopes from where I am. Could be any one of about 4 clubs.

I will always grab putter first if possible, if I need to chip it will be with a 50* so I can play a low runner that will check and get just a small amount of roll out.

100% dependent on distance to the pin and how the green slopes from where I am. Could be any one of about 4 clubs.

I was coming in to say the same thing. Distance will dictate

It is either 60* or putter with 60* being the choice majority of the time. I use 60* for all shots around the green and am comfortable hitting a variety of shots with it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The fringe at my home course is very tightly mown so putter. I use 4 wood 90% of the time when I'm more than a couple of yards off the green in the tightly mown collection areas around our greens.

Depends .... how far away is the flag? how much fringe do I have to go thru? Is it bumpy fringe or smooth? what is the contour of the green like between me and the hole? do I need to stop it with spin or can I run it up?

This can be anything from a putter to a 5 iron or even a hybrid (y)

Depends .... how far away is the flag? how much fringe do I have to go thru? Is it bumpy fringe or smooth? what is the contour of the green like between me and the hole? do I need to stop it with spin or can I run it up?

I agree on the depends statement but my club selection is not as broad. I'll use an 8 to a putter. But I won't use putter if there is more 3-4 feet of fringe and a decent amount of green to work with..

I’ve recently been working on this exact situation. What works for me is using a set and exact chipping swing, but varying the club to produce different distances. I’ve narrowed down my average distances from my 60* LW to my 7i. (IE my PW averages 10 yds, my 7i averages 18 yds, etc)

So far it works. I played 9 yesterday and had three scrambling fringe shots I was able to chip very close and 1 putt to save par.

Almost always putter, unless there’s a lot of fringe to go through. Then I typically reach for my 54°, but I’ve been known to use just about every iron in my bag up to and including hybrids.

Similar for me, I also take note if the pin is cut near a dangerous shelf. Since I no longer carry a conventional hybrid, anything from putter up to my GAPR Mid 3 could be in play. No true 'favorite' but I'd guess GW on through 8 iron are called upon most.

Putter if I'm really close to the green but will then start my progression the further I go back from the pin; ususally no deeper than a 9i and all the way up to the 60 degree.

I guess I'm weird that I feel more comfortable with a wedge than a putter from the fringe. I feel like I have better chance chipping in that chutting in haha. Chutting is not in my vocabulary typically :LOL:

It is either 60* or putter with 60* being the choice majority of the time. I use 60* for all shots around the green and am comfortable hitting a variety of shots with it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
^^^ Same for me.

Depending on the shot, I use a 50 to a 56. That being said there is a lot to be said for putting from the fringed areas with a hybrid which gets the bal up on top of the grass a lot better than a putter and ha a fairly true roll.

I was at the Senior PGA this year and I noticed several players playing a hybrid off the fringe. I don't have enough confidence or practice with it to rely on it. As for me, I will use a putter mainly from the fringe. I have more confidence that I can get it closer with the putter than with any other club.

By fringe, do you mean the first cut right off the green proper? That's what I would call the fringe. If so, then, putter. If in the longer, rougher cut, then usually a sand wedge. sometimes A wedge.

Used to be mainly my 54 but been enjoying using my AW more lately, and sometimes will go putter since it's worked so well for me on the green this year. A lot depends on the distance, slope and amount of grass around the ball too.

putter mostly or a 5/7 iron depending on slope of green

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back