What's your "go to" yardage?

robrandalgz

2023 Budget Championship #CanyonCowboys
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I've been working more on my course management this past season trying to hit to a yardage if I can (mostly on par 5s). I try to get myself to right at 100 yards, which is my full swing 54*,

How about you, what's the shot that is ideal for you to attack a pin?

I shot for 110 yards.

If struck perfect a Pitching Wedge.

If I get a Flier to 100 yards out. A Gap Wedge.

If I hit it Fat. To 120 yards away. A 9 iron.

This way I have three go to chooses to chose from. (y)

I like 125 yards. Couple club options depending on lie and such...

I advance as far as possible and not play to a distance. Is that correct? I think so. But I play most often at a more target style course. So it dictates a lot of management choices.

I try to get right in that 100yd range for my layups as it gives me a couple options club wise.

I’m comfortable from 50-155. It’s the short ones 30 and under that give me fits.

105 is a nice comfortable shot for me, can hit a smooth 55* or a soft 51* to knock some spin off the shot.

I've been working more on my course management this past season trying to hit to a yardage if I can (mostly on par 5s). I try to get myself to right at 100 yards, which is my full swing 54*,

How about you, what's the shot that is ideal for you to attack a pin?

I like that yardage, anywhere between 100-115 is a good easy yardage for me. If I can’t get there, I’m looking for 150 probably.

Anything inside a 100 yards and I am comfortable.

While I enjoy my chances at around 110 and 145 I will generally play get as freaking close as possible. Plenty of stats out there that support getting closer is better than laying up to a distance. Now that does change with hazards and what not. So it’s more like, get as close as possible that doesn’t invoke a penalty such as OB or water. Sand doesn’t bother me.

40 - 70 yds.

88 yards is ideal for a full LW.

I don’t really have a go to yardage. Maybe that is my problem. My full swing 56* is 80-85 yards. I can take less off of it to play it down to 70 yards.

100-110

I've invested a lot of time in learning how to dial in a specific distance using different clubs, full, 3/4, 1/2 swing length, and shot types: standard height, knockdowns, spinners. As a result, I value where the ball sits more than a specific length. When you've got those shots in your arsenal having a good lie in the fairway without some odd stance means a lot more than a specific distance.

120 to 130 is my go to. Full GW or PW depending on wind conditions.

80-90 yards because it gives me several options with different clubs.

I'm aiming for a couple. 60 yards is a half 60 degree, 75 yards is a half 54 or 100 is a 3/4 GW, all of which I'm reasonably confident of getting within range of a potential one putt.

Closer the better. I will never layup, other than avoiding hazards etc.

My stats. show that I am better as I get closer to the green, so I will always take the club that gives me the best chance of being in the fairway as close as possible to the green.

100-140 I am perfectly fine with. Most of the time though I don’t worry about laying up to a yardage. I just look for any hazards and lay up short of them and go from there.

Back