What's Your Highest Wedge Loft?

I have a 58 I use for some short approaches but mostly use around the green for loft on shorter shots I want to bite, etc. I use out of sand as well with solid results and also have become pretty good at short-sided play with it. If I have a ball on the fringe, I'll use an iron to chip....but if it's in the rough and around the green anywhere...I am pretty confident this club will get it up out of the grass and leave me in solid shape.

I currently have 45-49-52-56. The A wedge and sand wedge will probably need to be replaced in less than a year from wear, so I am thinking maybe going 54-58 instead of 52-56.

Any thoughts? I hit all 4 wedges around the green depending on my lie, and the 56 in the sand. If I switch lofts I am guessing the 54 will be my sandy and the 58 my lob wedge.

Last edited:
59, My iron set has a 44 and 48 degree iron then I add a 52, 55, and 59. though I am interested in how others play these clubs.

I am considering pulling the 52 and 59. I am a chipper and bump and run guy and my favorite is the 9i or PW. chipping with the different loft wedges can often make it harder for me to guess rollout.
I’m waiting for my T200/T100-S blended set to arrive, they will join my 54 & 58 Vokey.
The T100-S pitching wedge is 44, the set gap wedge is 48. So I’m going to get my Pro to bend my 54 Vokey, 1* strong to 53. This will give me even’ish gapping in my wedges.........

44* 48* 53* 58*

That set up, helps me out at the top end of the bag. I’ve played 5 wedges in the past and there was too much choice, and I often chose the wrong shot/club option!

A truly magical club.

It can also be a nightmare if you’re not careful with how often you use it.

I probably use it about three times per round, maybe two, but when I do it’s because it’s the only club that will give me the desired outcome.

So, the circumstances that I will use it are:

- Only under 40y, never a full shot, really never. If you were to use it for a full shot and are anything less than stunning with your wedges then this will cause way to much variation in distance.

- Pitches where you need to stop it quickly, usually square faced, over a hazard or rough it’s great. BUT, if you can get another club to do this, then use the other club. If you can’t, then this club works for me.

- Short flops over problematic areas, for instance I can chip my golf bag from a yard in front of it. I can chip over a bunker and get it to stop, often the shot will go two to three times as high as it does it length. You can even chip it over a tree or bush from very close (not a Redwood clearly)

- Very short-sides bunker, you can flop it onto a yard of ground.

It’s also not that difficult. I don’t go to the range that often, but when I do I spend about 10 shots flopping. I also flop a few from time to time when play is slow and I’m standing on the tee waiting.

As I said, a magical club if you can use it, but you absolutely have to commit to the shot with a swing, any hesitation will totally screw up. Practice is key, but the rewards are huge. I really don’t think I’ll ever not have a 64 in my bag.

58 LW, 54 SW

Back