What's your nemesis shot?

OldandStiff

AlsoBald
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
+
What's the shot you don't love, but run into CONSTANTLY? Or seem to.

This one bugs the daylights out of me, and there are two courses here where I see it on what feels like every other hole. Short iron, 8 or less, ball above my feet, wind from right, trouble left. Seriously, all the time. I make adjustments, and hit some good shots, but as a 1 or 2 flat, natural draw player, who fights left when struggling, it can get old fast.

This hole in particular I seem to struggle with, like here ^. 477y par 4. 334y drive to good position, gap wedge from 141, above my feet and wind from the right, everything bounces left, and ended left of the pin as usual. Bounced into the bunker. Seriously pisses me off, and some days I feel like I'd have to aim OB right to stay on the right side of the flag. Especially from further back. It's infuriating.

Maybe it's one you can never pull off. Maybe it's one that just seems like it should be easier than it is. Maybe it's just a bad match for your swing/flight. Maybe it's one you used to be good at, but now it's in your head. What's your nemesis shot, and how do you deal with it?

punch outs that have to stay low for a long time

Tequila

I love how specific your nemesis shot is. My goal is to have one so specific some day. 😆.

My nemesis is prob my creativity at times. I have a bad habit of trying to work the ball when it really isn’t necessary. I enjoy the challenge of hitting shot windows and shapes, but the reality is…I’m not good enough to consistently hit those windows and patterns. I’m especially guilty of this off the tee.

punch outs that have to stay low for a long time
You ever tried using your driver?

As for me it's currently 100 yards. Just not sure what's going on when I hit that shot with my GW. Really tough to get the ball to launch powerfully instead of fluffy, too high, and short of target.

Side hill lies. Ball above my feet, below my feet, down hill or uphill. These are shots I can’t practice. I’ll hit them fat almost every time.

The shot I fear is a downhill lie, especially if it is also sidehill, with water in front of me with anything longer than about an 8i. It also doesn't help if it is into any kind of wind/breeze

The course closest to me that I play a lot, the first hole is up the side of the mountain. You have to keep your drive up to the left or trees block the green. This makes it so your second shot is always 4-6 inches below your feet and still going uphill. With my bad knees, staying down and keeping my weight off my toes, my second shot never turns out well.:(

I've managed to hit a push fade off a hook lie, so whatever...

Honestly it’s the 50-60 yard pitch shot…. Rarely do I hit it the way I’d like. It’ll either be blasted over, bladed, or I become so tentative that I’ll leave it 20 yards short….

#2 in league is a sloping fairway right to left towards a pond the entire length of a Par 5 but levels off an severely narrows 100 yds to the hole. My fade hits the slope but prevents it from rolling in the water every time which sets me up great but my severe uphill lie I always push my shots right somehow from a severe hook lie.

Mine is similar to OP other than the wedges into 477 yard par 4s part. Ball above feet, R2L wind, green or desired landing zone slopes R2L, all feeding the trouble or penalties lurking on the left. Rarely play them well. Often find the trouble and probably even more often miss right or badly mishit one by overcompensating to avoid missing left.

Last edited:
First hole, par 5, home course, second shot is a downhill (and sometimes side hill) lie across a creek to an uphill fairway. You better not come up out of the shot. Helluva way to start a round.

20 yard pitch shot off a tight lie.

Last edited:
The shot I fear is a downhill lie, especially if it is also sidehill, with water in front of me with anything longer than about an 8i. It also doesn't help if it is into any kind of wind/breeze
This is my nemesis too. I've gotten a little better with my new irons, but I still sometimes struggle.

Approach shot from an extreme downhill lie into an uphill green with a mid-long iron or FW. (It's hard enough with a short iron.)

A fade with my irons. So many scenarios where I would just love to hit a fade into the green but my natural shot shape is a draw

A fade with my irons. So many scenarios where I would just love to hit a fade into the green but my natural shot shape is a draw
I was going to write this one. When I try to fade an iron in it has a tendency to be a pull left.

Any shot that requires a draw.

1. Side hill fairway where ball is above my feet yet I need to hit a long iron or hybrid. I have to stand upright and try not to push it. Just a very awkward shot for me.

2. Steep downhill chip. My mind says "don't skull it!" But still seem to thin it more often than not.

3. Hardpan bunker at the end of the season in the fall/winter. Have to square the face and pick it clean off the ground. Low confidence shot.

Back