What's your preferred hand position?

What's your preferred hand position?

• Total voters

OGputtnfool

Reaction score
Handicap
When driving an automobile, what is your preferred hand position? I read somewhere that "they" are getting away from teaching 10&2. Something about the airbags causing more injury there so "they" are shifting the teaching to 9&3. Anyway, I prefer a 11-1 o'clock position with the left hand more often than not. Sometimes, I'll ride at 7 o'clock with the left hand. Sometimes, 7&5 and once in a while, usually when really tired, I'll go to 9&3.

Last edited:
I will drive at the 12-1 or at about 9. I drove so much about 15 years ago that I lost all sense of what I was taught in drivers ed.

No hands. That way all of these new, great, awesome threads feel more like a roller coaster when I’m driving!!! Weeeeeee

I move from 10-2 to 9-3 to 9 only with the left hand and elbow on the window or arm rest.

I don’t have a preference. Between cigars, coffee, food, using my phone, and hand gestures from road rage I usually only have one hand on the wheel ?

One one the radio and one on my cigar. Where’s that option????

One hand at about 10:30

One one the radio and one on my cigar. Where’s that option????

About 8-9 O’clock because that’s where my thumb sits to constantly skip to the next song. My right hand is for my water/diet Mountain Dew!:)

Riding with one hand on the top part of the steering wheel might make you feel cool, but I hope you don't like your elbows if you ever get in an accident.

9&3 is the actual way you should drive, as it keeps your hands in the correct position and away from the airbag if it needs to go off. If you're going to go one handed, to say shift your vehicle (shocking that people can drive manual, I know), then it should be your left hand at 9.

I'm typically lazy with both hands and just go 9 with my left unless the roads are really bad, and then its 9 and 3.

Haha... knee planted firmly on the bottom of the steering wheel, left hand out the window and right hand chillin on the shift knob.

Haha... knee planted firmly on the bottom of the steering wheel, left hand out the window and right hand chillin on the shift knob.

I usually have my left hand at 10 o'clock, right hand resting on the console.

Seriously with this thread? :rolleyes:

Im somewherre between 7 and 9. The first car I owned had a manual transmission, so I got used to doing the steering with my left hand and reserving the right hand for shifting gears and I never grew out of it.

Seriously with this thread? :rolleyes:

Did I put it in the wrong forum? I went to look for the one described as "Got Something Outside Of Golf To Discuss?" and the one that included the "Happy Birthday" posts and the post about people getting shot. Figured that was the best place to put it.

I drive a manual, so normally one hand around 1130 and one on the stick!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Way back, long ago when I raced SCCA, it was 9 & 3 on a small wheel. Still keep that habit, even with my automatic, big SUV.

Left hand at 10 and right hand on top of gear shift knob. Probably from driving sticks the first 20 years of driving.

Left hand around 9:30ish, elbow on the door panel. Right hand is either grabbing something to drink or holding the phone.

It’s been brought up a couple of times but what would happen if we had to go back to the old Rand McNally to get places? I used to keep one in the driver’s door pocket when I was roping.

Back