Whats your punch club?

jdtox

Lord Tox
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Guess it depends where you live but around here I often find myself hitting punch shots. Actually pretty decent at it most of the time. I have found that I enjoy using my 5i much more so than my 4 iron right now because it has a thinner sole. I don't know why but it seems to work for me. Whats your club of choice for those under the tree shots?

Guess it depends where you live but around here I often find myself hitting punch shots. Actually pretty decent at it most of the time. I have found that I enjoy using my 5i much more so than my 4 iron right now because it has a thinner sole. I don't know why but it seems to work for me. Whats your club of choice for those under the tree shots?

usually 5i if it just needs to go straight and forward
4 utility if i need to move it L/R aka hero shot time.

Last edited:
5 iron. Even when I carried a 4 iron, the 5 iron off the back foot is mostly the go to.

4-iron is my go-to for a standard punch.

Somewhere in the 5-6-7 range depending how low it needs to be. By the time I am punching a 4i I have probably already made some bad decisions about how risky the shot is and how far I am trying to advance it.

Either a hybrid or a 5 iron.

• Admin
usually 5i if it just needs to go straight and forward
4 utility if i need to move it L/R aka hero shot time.
See I think the wider sole makes it harder and I ALWAYS go for the hero shot :cool:

7 usually. Sometimes something else depending on the situation and distance. Have been working on some flighted down draws with the 7i. Not a complete punch shot but flighted way down. Most of the time it is plenty low enough to punch out.

I'll join the club and say 5 iron. Sometimes I'll use 4 hybrid but it tends to jump up more and since the goal is to keep a punch low, I generally go with the iron.

High loft 3-wood. (16.5 degree.) Off back foot, choked down, hit a little slapshot, hope for the best.

Depends on how far it can run for me. My go to bread and butter used to be my 19* hybrid. No hybrids in my Morgan Cup bag though. I have been using the OL 5 iron from that bag, but I had plenty of room to run the other day and used my 3 wood. I think I ended up getting about 150 or so yards out of it. I have punched with a driver before too and once ran one up onto a green from 210 out with a punched driver 😂

All of them. Different distances = different punch club

What irons are you gaming? My 2U has a way bigger sole than my 5i.

x forged ut 18 is back in the bag.
It's probably pretty close but the radspeed 5i is a bit chonky, and loves to fly high and straight no matter how I swing it.

7W for me. It works ptetty well for most of the situations I find my ball in.

From a good lie, I can get a straight, 130 yards out of it with an abbreviated swing.

yep 5i here too. Only reason it is in the bag is to get out from under trees. I never use it for full swings.

Generally it's my 5i or 6i but it all depends on the shot and distance. I may use anything from the 4i to the pw.

Typically I'll go for the seven. For some reason I'm able to hood it and give it a draw if it is needed, but that's the only club I can do that with. I should give the five a try sometime.

6i for me more often than not. I can usually keep it pretty low without getting hooky like I can with a 4 or 5 iron.

Could be anything from 7 iron to a 3w choked down.

I carry a 19 degree 4-iron that serves as a great stinger/punch shot club. Ball back in stance, choke down, let ‘er rip, abbreviated follow through.

4 hybrid. Keeps the ball low, and is chunk proof.

It depends on the lie, how far I need to punch it, and what I have to go over or under - it could be anything from a 4h to a 58° wedge.

Lucky 7

Back