What's your style of play?

I was pondering a round the other day, and started to think about how I approach each round. It was fun trying to put myself into a category of player, so I got curious about what others thought about their games. So...

How would you describe the way you approach a round of golf? Are you aggressive, conservative, calculated, or some other adjective? Go for hero shots, or take your medicine? Does it depend on the situation or who you're playing with? Let's hear how you would describe your style of play!
Calculating. Im always considering where the trouble is and how I can best set myself up for my next shot.

Things have changed for me in the last 10 months or so. I used to play more conservatively in an effort to lower my HC and be more consistent round to round. I became involved with a big skins group about 10 months ago. About 40% of my rounds since are now focused mostly on cashing in some skins. I was probably only playing for skins about 10% of the time prior. So now I'm much more aggressive because it almost always requires at least birdie to have any chance. It's a lot more fun to play that way. I used to be a birdie every other round golfer but so far in 2021 I'm averaging well over a birdie per round.

I'm conservative off the tee because I'd rather keep the ball in the fairway than get extra distance and risk being in the rough. That is changing though as I get better (as in more consistent) with the driver. Approach shots and around the green it's a mixed bag depending on how I'm playing. Putting I'm more aggressive because there's nothing worse (to me) than leaving it short.

safely aggressive...i know the "hero shots" i can make.

I 've been playing for some time and I know my game very well so I play conservative and since I play the same course over 90% of the time I play the same way every time out.

Last edited:
It's situational. But too many times I tend to go for the low percentage shot even when I know I shouldn't. Especially when I am on a long hole and want to go for as much distance as my meager drive can carry me. Typically it's my second shot that I blow up on.

I didn't come all this way to lay up.

Seriously, though it depends on how the round started and how I'm feeling that particular day. If I'm off to a good start and know that I have a good round going I'll play fairly conservatively with the hopes of posting a score (for no other reason than personal satisfaction) If I start off without making par over the first 4-6 holes than all bets are off.

I have started to embrace what I like to call "Old Man Golf".
I just try to keep it in play and don't try to kill it.

I have a more conservative style now. I hardly ever aim at pins anymore unless they are in the “fat” part of the green or in the way of the best approach. I also hit the driver less off the tee, which has some to do with the course I play now.

There is not much hero in me and I’m not the most consistent ball striker. However, shot wise; I’m an underachiever. I usually have some of the best shots in my foursome. I can dribble one off the tee box just as easily as hitting the green from 240 yards out (Sometimes on the same hole). I could call my style “crazy bling,” flashy but of no real value.

I am working on being more boring.

I used to be the hero shot guy. I am more calculating now. By that I mean I think about the percentages for me and determine the best option. Only takes a second or two but I will go for par 5s in two given a distance I feel confident in and no major trouble. Major trouble though and I am more likely to lay up. That is just one example but it might be aim middle of green vs pin hunting depending on situation etc. I play now more thinking about managing my misses. I want to hit great shots but I typically know if I don't where the miss is going to be and plan accordingly.

I play now more thinking about managing my misses. I want to hit great shots but I typically know if I don't where the miss is going to be and plan accordingly.

This is how I want to become boring (managing my misses). I'm trying to think of it as putting a scope on an open choke shotgun. I want to put as much shot pattern onto the green, out of the trees, or other target as possible. Dead aim with a realistic expectation of a few flyers, and not so much worry about hazards (or pins) other than adjusting my spread.

This is how I want to become boring (managing my misses). I'm trying to think of it as putting a scope on an open choke shotgun. I want to put as much shot pattern onto the green, out of the trees, or other target as possible. Dead aim with a realistic expectation of a few flyers, and not so much worry about hazards (or pins) other than adjusting my spread.
For me on approaches in particular I am looking at pin placement. I know I tend to fade 6 and up so if the pin is tucked right, I am aiming middle. I tend to draw 7 and down so the opposite is true. I am also looking at hazards based on a miss to determine where I am going with it. Same goes for distance. If I am between clubs it depends on pin placement and hazards as to whether I go shorter or longer.

1. Play the appropriate distance tees
2. Keep the ball between the ropes
3. Advance the ball as much as possible while applying #2
4. Stop worrying about GIRs. Just get it close
5. Get lucky and score a few pars to go along with the bogeys and doubles.
6. Try to avoid the blowups but accept they are going to happen. In other words, just get through them without making it worse.

My style of play is all about knowing my strengths and weaknesses and making decisions I can live with regardless of the outcome. There are holes that I will not try to approach from 150 yards and out. There are others that I'm going for with the longest club in the bag all day long.

My best scores have never had anything to do with a different strategy.

Swing hard, hit ball to the wrong hole, wedge back over trees, shoot in the 70s

Generally try to keep the ball in play and advancing toward the hole. Also not think too much, decided a few years ago that if you can find the ball and play it , it's not that bad a shot.

It all depends on what game I'm bringing to the course that day. My whole round seems to depend on what tee game I'm working with, so whatever gets me into the fairway. over the past 12 months I've been working on not automatically pulling a driver on every par 4 or 5, and not shooting at the flag necessarily and I've certainly seen my game improve. Now if only I could get myself into the fairway more often then I'd be useful!

Dumb. 🤷‍♂️

I still convince myself I can hit every shot. There’s times I can barely hit the ball anymore let alone a tucked pin 250 water carry second into a par 5. Sure, I can hit the shot. The odds of me doing so aren’t high.

Really enjoying the thought processes as I continue to consider how I think through a round.

For me my style can change based on 2 factors:

1. Course Design. Is it tight, wide open, lots of hazards, etc. This dictates a lot of how I play.
2. How I'm playing that day. If I'm hitting irons well, I might take a chance and go for some pins. Same with driver, I might pull driver on a hole that's a bit tight if I'm hitting it well. Putter I always play the same, within my ability. Try to 2 putt longer putts, and drop a couple one putts if my short game is good. No 3 putts!

I don't play competitive rounds, almost always just with friends or in a scramble here or there. During the scramble everything goes out the window, and it's all hero shots.

I try to play a balanced game, at least as far as my awful skill level allows. I know my weaknesses so on any hole that has a potential pitfall I play conservative to avoid any big numbers...bogeys are ok in that case. But I also know my strengths and have no problem slamming my foot on the gas when conditions are right.

I don’t hit it far so I have to be resourceful.

No hero shots.

I'm pretty conservative. I start every round thinking "I wonder what today will bring," and go from there.

Today I played 2 shots aggressively that were screaming conservative. Both led to bogeys, both on par 5’s when birdie with a conservative play was still available. Hmmmm, dang it!

After my last round, I am thinking I am going to play a bit more conservative off the tee. Really helped me on a course that didn't play to my strengths.

Pick your spots to be aggressive, lay back if I need to..... and hope that my short game doesn't fail me.

I'm bad with drivers and long irons and play those conservatively. I'm more confident with wedges and will go for hero shots with them. I don't make them often enough to justify it, but it's always fun to try and flop a tree regardless.

Back