Whats your swing or setup nemesis?

jdtox

Lord Tox
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Maybe its an OTT issue or maybe you tend to hit el hosel from time but what goes wrong in your setup or swing most often that you need to work constantly on or be reminded occasionally to fix?

For me there is a couple but my biggest issue I think...its alignment. Sometimes I think I'm aiming down the middle when in fact I'm aiming way to the right. I often don't even realize it until a playing partner mentions it and my response is usually...really? Then I get lined up properly and I feel super wide open or like I'm aiming way left. I have to constantly be aware of that on the course.

Mine 1000% is alignment.

In fact, there is a shot into the 18th green at the course I frequent, where I find myself double, even triple-checking my alignment and in almost all cases I still miss left.

It is something I am trying really hard to remedy this year.

for a long long time it was keeping right elbow close to body.

Now it's not letting mid/long irons get too far forward in stance.

Letting my backswing get too long. Letting my right shoulder spin out. Moving my right knee towards the ball on the downswing. Tilting my head towards the target on the backswing. Just to name a few.

Two things in my setup: letting my stance get too wide and getting too far away from the ball. The latter is the more troublesome, because the usual recommendations don;t seem to work for me.

Alignment and ball position, particularly with the longer clubs.

Then I get lined up properly and I feel super wide open or like I'm aiming way left.
Exactly this, though opposite since I stand on the other side of the ball lol

Getting lazy on my downswing which throws off my timing. My arms lag waaaay behind my lower body and I hit a 70 yard push to the left.

Alignment is a battle every golfer goes through, and it can be very alarming to learn that you're setting up way off target. It's just another reason caddies can be so helpful and why the new rule to stop them from helping was a good one.

My nemesis is just tempo, I get too quick and lose timing, early extension, bad things.

Maybe its an OTT issue or maybe you tend to hit el hosel from time but what goes wrong in your setup or swing most often that you need to work constantly on or be reminded occasionally to fix?

For me there is a couple but my biggest issue I think...its alignment. Sometimes I think I'm aiming down the middle when in fact I'm aiming way to the right. I often don't even realize it until a playing partner mentions it and my response is usually...really? Then I get lined up properly and I feel super wide open or like I'm aiming way left. I have to constantly be aware of that on the course.
My OTT move has been the bane of my golf existence!!!
The PlaneMate is helping me correct this and its working!!!!

Ball Position with the driver as it can tend to get two far forward

Tempo Tempo Tempo.

distant second is alignment.

Alignment is my biggest issue. If I'm not careful I will set up with a closed stance, which causes a push right of my of my intended target. Other times I might hit a pulled hook.

Probably 90% of my poor ball flights are caused by poor alignment, and/or ball position.

I work on this constantly, but I usually see a pushed ball flight 1-2 times a round.

Alignment and unintentionally shutting the face of irons on the tee box. It's fine in the fairway, but for some reason I get on the tee box and I want to shut it down.

I struggle with lining up too far right. When I square up, I then have a tendency to address the ball with an open clubface.

My biggest issue is staring at the little white ball in front of me...Most range and warm up sessions, I am hitting everything pretty well. On the course not as much....practice swings feel good, but when I address the ball, all of that seems to go out the window. Can't explain it but sometimes, it feels like my grip isn't right, stance isn't right, ball position isn't right, and so on. Something I am definitely try to work on is to not focus on the ball (hard) and to just swing and let the ball get in the way. I try to talk myself into it but my brain decides otherwise. Maybe I am getting to fixated on the targets...when I am hitting a lay up or just trying hit, after a muffed drive, up the fairway, those always seem to go well.

Maybe I either need to really focus on a target when I am at the range (smaller target, better results?) or pretend I am at the range when I am on the course and try and treat it as if the result does not matter.

Standing too far from the ball
Playing the ball too far forward in my stance
OTT swing.

I’m sure there are many flaws in my set up and swing but it’s always thoughts that ruin it.

Setup: Alignment and ball position. I try to get too cute sometimes when it's absolutely not necessary.
Swing: Getting too quick upstairs.

I fight soling the club too heavily which leads to snatching it away in the take away. I tend to do it will all my clubs at times. It usually creeps back into my game when I'm focusing on my latest and greatest new swing thought. For instance, today I was really working on getting my weight back on the inside of my right leg on the backswing. I'm sure there were multiple times when I picked the club up off the ground to start my swing. Same thing with putting. I was really grinding on keeping my head steady through the stroke but snagged the putter going back and pulled some putts left

my over thinking the shot. talking to myself at address and start of swing. Phuckin kills me every time.

For me, its blocking/left hip stopping which drives a big open face block. As long as I make a full turn back ( left shoulder under ) and fully clear the left hip out of the way, then my alignment/starting line usually is really good. When I get tired/lazy, I don't do a full turn which then causes me to not fully rotate my hips because of the short swing feel.

I tend to swing too hard causing it to be OTT. I start the round tight and winging slow/smooth and then once I loosen up the swing gets too fast and the ball gets wayward.

My biggest issue right now is having to fast of a backswing. When it gets fast my backswing also gets very short and those pull hooks happen. It absolutely killed me in my last round and when I finally realized it and slowed down I started hitting it well again.

Back