When a shaft is too small for a grip to fully wrap around/grab on to...

Northerner

Reaction score
Wondering what you guys do when installing a putter grip onto a shaft that is skinnier than the tip of the grip? This happens to me a lot. Usually I'll just get some cheap Dollar Tree duct tape and fatten it up, but I think that might be throwing the weight off of some of the putters I do this to.

Is there a specific product that places like GG use when they face this dilemma to fatten up the smaller area of the shaft so the grip can wrap around right, without throwing the balance/weight off of the putter?

A few layers of shrink wrap, specifically where it's needed - not all the way up and down the shaft?

No idea if this works or not, just a thought.

Anything you use will be adding weight to the butt end of the club. Does not matter what it is. The change will be small however unless you really slap it on there. I just use masking tape like any other build up would be. Very helpful to have a caliper to know how much and where you need to add it.

As mentioned I would add masking tape to build up the shaft diameter. On a putter this should be fine.

Back