When An HIO Isn't A HIO

WLG1952

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
N/A
I'm like most average golfers I suspect. I hit some bad shots, quite a few OK shots, and some good shots. Sometimes my good shots are really good. This happened the other day.

I was practicing 130+/- yard shots to a 10' foot diameter green with a regular cup, and flag pin. I would hit 14 balls, go pick them up, return, and hit 14 more balls.

Most of my shots missed the smallish green, but were in my OK wheelhouse. They most likely would've hit a regulation green.

A few more were not very good at all, and definitely would've missed a regulation green. Some worse than others.

About 10 of the 42 balls I hit, stayed on the practice green.

The really good shots? Two of those 42 balls were hole outs from that 130+/- yard distance. One each from two 14 ball cycles.

Obviously these are not HIOs, but the next time I get on that 130 yard par 3, I'm going to remember those two "really good" shots.

I'm like most average golfers I suspect. I hit some bad shots, quite a few OK shots, and some good shots. Sometimes my good shots are really good. This happened the other day.

I was practicing 130+/- yard shots to a 10' foot diameter green with a regular cup, and flag pin. I would hit 14 balls, go pick them up, return, and hit 14 more balls.

Most of my shots missed the smallish green, but were in my OK wheelhouse. They most likely would've hit a regulation green.

A few more were not very good at all, and definitely would've missed a regulation green. Some worse than others.

About 10 of the 42 balls I hit, stayed on the practice green.

The really good shots? Two of those 42 balls were hole outs from that 130+/- yard distance. One each from two 14 ball cycles.

Obviously these are not HIOs, but the next time I get on that 130 yard par 3, I'm going to remember those two "really good" shots.
Definitely not a HIO but a great exercise for the real deal. The worst HIO that wouldn't be a HIO in my opinion would be hitting a second shot on a par 3 and it going in...that would SUCK!

April of '19 I was out for the final time before my hip replacement surgery that would happen two days henceforth. I was playing alone and playing three balls.

I came to the 18th and final hole. I had all three shots from about 120yds. I hit the green with the first two and then, on the very final swing before my surgery, I holed out the third ball for an unofficial eagle!

Like yours, unofficial but I'll never forget it. I took it as a sign that everything will work out just fine and it did. My hip's 100% and the whole operation went as smoothly as it could have~

Last edited:
Definitely not a HIO but a great exercise for the real deal. The worst HIO that wouldn't be a HIO in my opinion would be hitting a second shot on a par 3 and it going in...that would SUCK!
I witnessed a guy rinse his first ball on a replica of Sawgrass #17 and hole out with his second.

Yup. Nice par though.

About 3 years ago I almost did this. Hit a 7i that just missed the green and kick off the slope and went OB by a couple inches. Went back to the tee and hit another one with a nice little draw. One of the guys that was in the group behind us on the tee box said "your going to save your par". It ended up about 6 inches right of the hole for a gimme bogey.

In a fun round, (all my rounds are fun rounds) I had about a 60 yard third shot into a par 5. Hit it very fat and left it way short. For practice, I dropped down another one, hit a perfect shot that went in. My partner was laughing at me. “Don’t you hate when you do that”. If I was keeping score, I would have hated that, but as just a golf shot by itself, hitting it perfectly felt really good. Hitting great shots is what keeps me coming back.

Sounds like one heck of a practice session! Confidence builder from that yardage for sure.

I once saw Freddie Couples put his 1st par 3 shot in the pond. Took his drop, and holed out his next shot for a par.

I did a Fred Couples a few years ago. Hit my first shot into the water between the tee box and the green on a 190 yard hole. Proceded to the drop area about 107 yards out, dropped a ball and knocked it in. I remember that shot every time I end up in that water and have to hit from the drop area again. Have been close several times but never (yet) have it holed it out again. A buddy of mine who was on the next tee box saw it and said, "Nice par."

I fail to see how saving par would suck, especially in that fashion since it’s a feat way more rare than a HIO. Plus you don’t have to buy drinks. 😎

Yep. My biggest golf fear is my first HIO being this situation.

I'm not sure which would be worse - getting a HIO playing solo with no witnesses, or getting one on a league day when you have to buy drinks for 20 or 30 guys! :LOL:

I'm not sure which would be worse - getting a HIO playing solo with no witnesses, or getting one on a league day when you have to buy drinks for 20 or 30 guys! :LOL:
For sure 20/30 guys.

HIO is for me. I couldn't care less if someone is there. Getting it alone is far from the worst scenario. I'm not going to lie about getting one.

Back