When did the Tiger Woods Era Actually Begin?

Space Bandito

Baguette
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
2 Children
I was watching the 99 PGA Championship today. I looked at the field, full of big names, and some newer faces of who are now superstars. There was a different feel to the event - It was like watching the passing of a torch. There were old dogs; the familiar faces, and less than fit physiques, and then there were these new guys. Especially one (relatively) new guy. Was this the beginning of the Tiger Woods Era, as we've come to call it? Was the 99 PGA the moment that set the wheels in motion to change the game for better (or worse?)

What do you think? Perhaps the huge run in 2000? What about beforehand?

The Tiger Era began with his first swing at his first PGA tour event.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
I disagree with this entirely. Sure he was a hot prospect, but no one knew for sure that it was all about to change. In 1996 you could easily argue he'd have one win or 82.

1997 at Augusta. Not only could he win Majors but could do so in a dominating fashion. A foreshadowing of what was to come.

I feel like he was a big sports story by the time he was at Stanford. You didn't know he would be this big of a deal 25 years later but it definitely was on the table.

The 1994 US Am win kicked it all off. He had won 3 US Juniors and beat the best Ams in the game.

I disagree with this entirely. Sure he was a hot prospect, but no one knew for sure that it was all about to change. In 1996 you could easily argue he'd have one win or 82.
Your are correct. Its was after he won his 3rd US Am. So before he ever hit a shot on tour.

I think it started the moment he said hello world. I say this because many were predicting huge things for him and he started backing it up immediately and never stalled out. The 97 Masters put everyone on notice that he was a force the tour had never seen before.

In 96 they at least knew he would have 2 😉

That said IMO the 1997 Masters was when everyone who knew anything got a taste of what he was all about.

97 Masters

I like the ‘97 Masters. It was the confirmation of everything that had been said up to that point.

Here's my argument for it being post 97 Masters: 1 win in 1998. It didn't come early, and it wasn't big. Surely there were some people strongly doubting the hype at this point.

The 1997 Masters. That was the dominating performance that made everyone know that things would be different from that point on.

The Tiger Era began with his first swing at his first PGA tour event.

Absolutely this! I remember him joining the tour. There was massive hype around him. I remember thinking just that, it was all hype. Proved me wrong pretty damn quickly!

I feel like the 1997 Masters is too late. That was just confirmation. The more I see this thread pop through the more I believe it. When he won the US amatuer there was talk about him making a run at Jack.

I was watching the 99 PGA Championship today. I looked at the field, full of big names, and some newer faces of who are now superstars. There was a different feel to the event - It was like watching the passing of a torch. There were old dogs; the familiar faces, and less than fit physiques, and then there were these new guys. Especially one (relatively) new guy. Was this the beginning of the Tiger Woods Era, as we've come to call it? Was the 99 PGA the moment that set the wheels in motion to change the game for better (or worse?)

What do you think? Perhaps the huge run in 2000? What about beforehand?

1996 - first year -- he won - era began.

1997 - that's when domination was recognized ... probably if not sooner.

I’d have to say his US Amateur debut. Everyone knew he had the talent, and then BAM it was all over!

I’m going to say 1996. He won his 3rd US Am, won the individual NCAA title, was low amateur at the Open (tieing the all time low score), then turned pro in August and won twice and had 5 other finishes inside the top 21 in 8 professional starts He exploded on tour. Everyone knew immediately he was special.

He was making noise in high school.

Hello world.

You can look at hype or results as the start... His name became infamous at 97 Masters... Hype was during amateur status.

The easy answer would be Dec 30, 1975.

Back