When is golf not worth it?

RealPretendPsychic

Ask me about the Callaway Apex CB’s!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Have you ever had one of those rounds where for one reason or another you regret playing and just wish you had stayed home?

Are we talking about everything in total? Elements, course conditions, play quality, company, etc?
Could be anything!

Two rounds ago, everything just felt off. I had a nice time out but it really hurt my score overall.

I was still happy I went out but I would have been fine if I could tell the future also not going.

A bad day golfing is still better than a good day at work.

My current mindset is NEVER!

I used to be an angry golfer. I found it frustrating even though I didn’t practice enough to have those expectations. Over the last year I started playing better golf and then my run stopped earlier this year with a very frustrating round where I let my disappointment get the best of me. I was disgusted with myself and vowed not to let it happen again.

I don’t care if it’s a 6 hour round, if I shoot a 100, or the weather sucks. I play golf to have a good time and I do my best to love every minute of it regardless of the circumstances.

So this weekend, when it was "okay" raining for a while, and then by the time we got inside it was "shoes are full of water" raining?

I'll lead with that.
I’d have kept going.

Have you ever had one of those rounds where for one reason or another you regret playing and just wish you had stayed home?
Yep, usually it's because of pace. No rhythm to the round.

So this weekend, when it was "okay" raining for a while, and then by the time we got inside it was "shoes are full of water" raining?

I'll lead with that.
That was a bit wet. Like….. moist

The only times it's happened to me are when the company is just absolutely soul crushing. Usually randos that are awful people. It has only happened a couple times.

When I was younger, my play quality affected my enjoyment a lot more and I'd hate everything if I played poorly. I'm not going to lie, it does still affect my enjoyment - of course I have MORE fun if I play well - but ultimately I'm out playing a game a love, and sometimes it doesn't go well on the card and I've come to terms with that. The important things are being outside, getting away from everyday worries for a bit, and enjoying good company.

My current mindset is NEVER!

I used to be an angry golfer. I found it frustrating even though I didn’t practice enough to have those expectations. Over the last year I started playing better golf and then my run stopped earlier this year with a very frustrating round where I let my disappointment get the best of me. I was disgusted with myself and vowed not to let it happen again.

I don’t care if it’s a 6 hour round, if I shoot a 100, or the weather sucks. I play golf to have a good time and I do my best to love every minute of it regardless of the circumstances.
If the pace is good, I can tolerate cold and heat.... and bad golf (sort of).

Put me on a golf course in big time heat with anything more than 4:10 9s and I am sideways mentally.

Oof, this happened two months ago. I apparently ate something off in the morning, and let’s just say that I had to step on the gas to head back to the clubhouse TWICE in the middle of a hole to go relief myself. By some dumb luck my two buddies were sharing a cart, so I had my own to drive back and forth.

On top of that played horribly because stomach was aching the whole time. Should definitely have stayed home that day.

The only time it’s not worth it for me is when I have an injury that isn’t 100% and it gets aggravated. One week off would have been better than a major set back

If the pace is good, I can tolerate cold and heat.... and bad golf (sort of).

Put me on a golf course in big time heat with anything more than 4:10 9s and I am sideways mentally.
You’re a lucky guy! I’ve played a few 5+ hour rounds this year. I do struggle when my hydration is lacking, but I’ve been better about packing ridiculous amounts of fluid in my bag.

You’re a lucky guy! I’ve played a few 5+ hour rounds this year. I do struggle when my hydration is lacking, but I’ve been better about packing ridiculous amounts of fluid in my bag.
Pure.
Rage.

It's definitely a "plays at a club who cares about pace a lot" spoiled perspective, but I've grown comfortable with it.

Only really had one occasion when I felt like that a few years ago - not long after my dad had passed away, myself and Jen had gone out late one weekend afternoon and I just couldn't focus on anything as I was having a bad day and Jen thought getting out on the course might help take my mind off it, but I struggled so bad we walked off and went back home

5+ hour round pace, playing a goat ranch. "Why the F am I out here wasting my time and money"

Pure.
Rage.

It's definitely a "plays at a club who cares about pace a lot" spoiled perspective, but I've grown comfortable with it.
I mean if you’re playing in 4 hours and I’m playing in 5, we’re averaging about the same number of strokes per hour 😆

Pure.
Rage.

Elitist!!

When you're injured.

I've played in 32-40F, in wind, and I was cold but good. Played in welcoming warm summer rain, and it was good. But injury? No.

Over the last 4 weeks, my right hip has acted up from too many range sessions even though I stretch, workout, use theragun mini, etc. Yesterday, 3rd hole, right hip would not turn on downswing, it's a ligaments/tendons stretch according to my trainer (lol - my monthly licensed massage therapist) an all arms swing just doesn't do it for me. After a few more holes, got the raincheck for both of us. Live another day.

Got the Stamina Pro tape on it. More stretching.

No. If I'm not at work then it's good.

Well... maybe.

If it's too hot. I'm not talking hot, hot. I'm talking HOT! hot. Not summer hot. That's fine and bearable. Just drink lots of water. I'm talking Africa HOT! The kind of hot where all of the animals, predators and prey are lying next to each other, in the shade... where it's too hot to even try to breathe. This is about 130*F give or take. HOT.

When it's wet. Not a sprinkle... not a drizzle. Wet. Rain. Biblical type of rain.

When it's cold. I don't like cold.
Cold and wet are worse.

Who am I kidding? If it's even looking like a couple rain drops are falling, I ain't golfing.:ROFLMAO:

Back