When is golf not worth it?

living in the midwest I go through this every year starting late fall and in to winter. After not golfing for a while I'll see a 40 degree weekend and we decide to golf. When we tee off its in the high 20's and windy. Immediately regret the decision and wish I was home but at that point I cant bail on the guys

Last year was the first year I decided im not going to even entertain the idea of playing in that weather. Id rather go hit at an indoor simulator and actually work on my swing

As soon as it drops into 32F-50F for the duration of the round, and gets overly windy. That's when the season has to be called up here, no matter how hard you try and bundle up, it just isn't worth it.

That, and lashing rain.

Nothing external really affects me. I've played in all kinds of heat, cold, rain, on terrible courses, et cetera.

What really drives me insane is when I can't play up to my very modest expectations. I am not good. I know it, and accept it. When I look like I've never picked up a golf club before is when I'm ready to donate my stuff to a high school and find another hobby to suck at.

It happens on occasion for me. Sometimes I have a tee time and show up just knowing I shouldn’t be there and I end up playing horribly. Usually due to work, illness, or something outside of golf that is happening and I think I should be somewhere other than the course before I tee off. When I show up to the course with that mentality, it never ends well. I still have a good time, but could have had a good time doing something else.

As a weekday morning playing senior who willingly leaves the course [although not necessarily the club itself] to the working stiffs on the weekend, I hate to be rushed.

Seniors like to play in order rather than "ready golf" in order to have eight eyes on a shot.
If nobody sees where the ball went, that doesn't speed up play for anybody.

Fortunately, it's very rarely a problem, but occasionally we'll happen upon an under sixty trouble making member who hits into us,
and we don't let it go. Unpleasantness can make you wish that you stayed home that day.

I’ve been playing for 26 years and I have been blessed to have had very few rounds that were not “fun.” Most of the time when “fun” doesn’t happen it is because of “unfulfilled expectations.” It is oh-so hard to do - but, for many of us - we would do well to check those expectations at the clubhouse door. I am trying to be the “glass half full” golfer, rather than the “glass half empty.” If you can play golf - regardless of your age or ability, you are greatly blessed. Can you who love it like I do imagine how it would feel to not be able to play any more...? Yet, we should still be grateful for the times we had!

More than a few times. It could be the weather is too hot and humid, or my arthritis gets really nasty mid-course, or any number of other things. Just like life, some days are better than others.

I have, and sadly it was fairly recently. Long story: Our club sends 4 players to a regional qualifier, I was 5th and a player was DQed, so I advanced. I didn't want to go as I run the tournaments and just felt it wasn't a good look to "benefit" from the DQ but one of my good friends was one of the other qualifiers so I agreed to go.

Then the week before the tournament our 16 year old cocker spaniel really went downhill and was literally on his last legs. My wife was up in Oregon helping her parents as her dad had just had significant surgery. I would have pulled out if a replacement could have been found, instead I got a dog sitter to stay with the dog and went to play....

It was miserable. I played terrible as our dog got progressively worse and I had to schedule an appointment to put him down while driving back home after the 2nd day of the tournament. I felt guilty for taking the spot, and still feel guilty for leaving the little guy behind to suffer.

I'll stop for bad weather, but I generally won't stop if I'm playing bad. And if I do, it's not to go home, it's to go to the range to work it out.

If it’s below 45, I’m out. If the wind is strong enough that it’s affecting putts, I’m out. If it’s raining so hard you can’t grip the club, I’m out.

That’s about it though.

Windy and cold. I am out. I don’t really know what rain is..

Back