When is golf not worth it?

The only time in my mind, when golf is not worth it, is when pace of play is a crawl. We get out early and avoid times/courses where pace of play would be an issue, so it's mostly avoided. But if I get stuck waiting on each and every shot, I'm not having fun. I don't play well in those conditions usually. Just want to keep it going!

Definitely wish I would have stayed home for last week's league night. Playoff time and the guy I played against in the first round shot lights out. A net 29 through 9 holes winning the match 4/3. I gave him 5 strokes (match play) and didn't really stand a chance, which was completely demoralizing and honestly put me off of league golf for next year.

My current mindset is NEVER!

I used to be an angry golfer. I found it frustrating even though I didn’t practice enough to have those expectations. Over the last year I started playing better golf and then my run stopped earlier this year with a very frustrating round where I let my disappointment get the best of me. I was disgusted with myself and vowed not to let it happen again.

I don’t care if it’s a 6 hour round, if I shoot a 100, or the weather sucks. I play golf to have a good time and I do my best to love every minute of it regardless of the circumstances.
I had that happen back in April at a tournament and then realized the real reason I was out there and then some in the past year. I have had more fun in the last 3-4 months when I just told myself to relax a little and just have a good time. I had a round recently at a tournament where I sucked it up pretty bad and was more embarrassed than anything as the guys that asked me to play expected a lot from me and I let that rule my thinking during the round. I still had a good time, just embarrassed, but they all joked with me and we had a good time. I feel extremely blessed to be able to play golf, especially at the level I do. I am by no means a great golfer, but I consider myself descent and God has blessed me with those skills and I need to remember that from time to time. There is nothing better than being out on a course listening to a few jams, hitting some good shots here and there and enjoying nature and friends if I'm playing with others.

A slow round on a course that I don't necessarily enjoy playing.

Yes, but only when I started golfing; I would get mad for dumb reasons. I have had bad rounds but I just change my mind set and enjoy the walk anyway even if my score is not great.

The combination of raining and cold/windy makes it not worth it for me. My play is typically worse in these elements, so it's a bad time all around. Otherwise, if the weather is nice I still enjoy it even if it's a slow round or I'm not playing well.

I usually avoid playing when there's nothing riding on the game, or playing "just to play."

Slow rounds(4:15+) when it’s cold, rainy, or extremely hot. I’m not a fan of club tournaments(they are almost always 5+ hours) with crazy fast, tricked up pin positions. The high stakes gambling tournaments are something I generally avoid unless they’ve weeded out the sandbaggers. Nothing spoils it for everyone quite like a 15 handicapper shooting a gross 75 in a tournament, lol.

The biggest issue for me with golf is the time commitment to play an 18-hole round. Between driving, warming up, and playing it is an easy 5 or more hours. I played a round the other day (a Saturday) where I realized during the round I wanted to be home spending the day with my wife and dogs more than I wanted to be out playing golf. I love golf but prioritize family time, and that was one where I would have rather done something else.

Other than that, I have played some cold, windy, and wet rounds that were were grunt fests but also kind of enjoyed the adventure of trying to play. That said, I'm not sure I want to play too many more of those types of rounds. ;)

Pace of play being #1. I hate waiting so long between shots. it makes me stiff and not loosen up and I get lazy on my shots.

Course conditions - patchy greens, uneven tee box, fairways not cut, bunkers not maintained, etc.

The only time I have experienced the "not worth it" was when I drove over 100 miles to play some golf mid winter when I had 3 inches of snow on the ground and 20 degrees at home.
I got down south to where the weather was supposed to be in the low 50's. It started that way and part way through the round a new weather system rolled in. The temps dropped to 35 degrees, the wind came up and a mix of snow and rain fell on us for the rest of the round. I felt "this is not worth it" but I kept going due to the drive down there.

Every time I pull into a packed parking lot my heart breaks. Every time I pull into a nearly empty parking lot I feel like a kid on Christmas morning.

There were two rounds, a long time ago, where I simply became too angry with how I was playing. Try really hard, now, to remember that golf is *supposed* to be really hard, and it's all about 1. Getting out there 2. Time with family/buddies 3. The constant goal of improving (which doesn't mean every day has to show progress). Of course, it took roughly a five-year gap (health issue with an eye, timing stuff) to reach that positive mindset!

Currently at the beginning of a long process of making, truly, the first real commitment to long-term improvement. And focused on just being able to be out there, above all else!

I have never played a round and regretted it after. I have had some really frustrating ones where my score is terrible and my chronically sore elbow comes away sore from a terrible swinging day. I still manage to have a great time and enjoy the golf and time out with my friends. Golf is ALWAYS worth it for me.

Oh there have been those times. But that is when I just say heck it an try to have fun goofing off.

I played a course last week with greens so poor I was thinking I should have stayed in bed rather than make my 7am tee time.

I'd love to be one of those guys that says "never" but I can't stand playing really bad. Those rounds where nothing is going right, the wheels have come off, and there's just nothing you can do but grind it out. Sometimes it will occur around hole 14-15 and I think to myself "I cannot wait to get off this golf course". That's when it's "not worth it" to me.

I would also say golf is not worth it if it's pouring rain or in snow.

I can recall once thinking it wasn't worth playing. It was a charity scramble and they put three groups off every tee. After 5 hours and 13 holes we walked off the course and went and got lunch. If course conditions were poor and the pace of play was really slow I would say that wasn't worth playing.

Yes. When a part of my body really hurts but I push through and play anyway. 9 out of 10 times this is a huge mistake and I end up hurting more and play like crap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How about when you’re walking, the 3 others are in 2 carts, the bust of them is maybe gonna go low at 125. It’s nearly 100 degrees, day after a storm, cart park only, they are slllllow and the round took 6 MF hours.

that was my last round of golf. I was to quit the game entirely, for a free hours after.

I’m not great, but i don’t hold you up.

oh, and one guy, i swear NEVER found his ball, every shot of the tee and long fairways (rough) we were looking for his ORANGE ball.

Drove 4+ hours a couple years ago to meet a bunch of THPers at Tot Hill Farm. It was November, low 40s, and raining! We made it 9 holes and called it quits.

Rare that there wouldn't be at least some 'little slice of silver lining' even if the weather, pace, playing partners, course and such all suck a$$. I'm usually going to look for a positive since how bad can it really be if I'm out golfing. Might be the ice cold beer, a good dirty joke I've not heard, golf so bad it's memorably funny, whatever.

Have you ever had one of those rounds where for one reason or another you regret playing and just wish you had stayed home?

simple answer is yes!

typically when we tried to play in high wind and muddy conditions- one of those early spring days. try to avoid that pattern now. the other is when a twosome goes and plays and gets stuck behind a tournament. 5 hours is just terrible when only 2 in the group

Back