When is golf not worth it?

Drove 4+ hours a couple years ago to meet a bunch of THPers at Tot Hill Farm. It was November, low 40s, and raining! We made it 9 holes and called it quits.

retract it! My daughter made her x-country meet sound like this on Saturday. My response was you have memories. Sitting at home doing nothing you would not have any good stories.

If there is a family event and a golf thing then golf will have to wait. I like seeing my kids and wife smile more than seeing my golf buddies.

Generally it would be the elements that make it too unpleasant. Playing in triple digit heat when its over 105 would make me wonder if I shoulda just stayed home. I once played when we knew it was gonna rain. We thought maybe we could finish before it started. About the 12th hole it started raining. It wasn't a hard downpour but it was steady and got windy. My old muscles did not handle that well at all. That round was the sorest I've ever been after playing a round. I was walking the course that day.

Are we talking about everything in total? Elements, course conditions, play quality, company, etc?

Yep!!! 38° and a 3 club wind. Hated every second of it. My buddy guilted me into playing!

99AF8A00-E5E0-419B-AD06-7A69BC1DDFAA.jpeg

Was actually starting to write a post about this! Labor Day weekend my wife convinced me to play a round at one of our favorite courses instead of watching the our alma mater upset an FBS opponent. We were paired with two guys who were already half in the bag to start the round and nearly got into a fight with the group behind us after they hit into us on back to back holes. We were about 1/2 hole behind the group in front of us and waiting all day. The guys were painstakingly slow and the groups in front were painstakingly slow resulting in a 5 hour round and missing the entire game. The rhythms were all off and totally made me regret playing.

Oh yes I have walked off after 9 plenty times in my life due to very poor play. I have no reason to act noble and stay the path when feeling that way. There are times when golf hasnt been fun and on those occasions I have no issue , nor am i embarrassed to say, nor afraid to admit (nothing wrong with it imo) I have left and went and did something else with wife or fam or friends instead and honestly can say yes it was worth leaving on that specific day.

The past years (as Ive talked of many times here) I have placed so much effort and time and money all sacrificed into it and not improving with general ball striking that can at times cost me many many strokes per round does get extremely disheartening. Not seeing the rewards of the hard work while seeing so many folks I know (and even hearing it here) who have not place but even a small % of what I have placed into it can be disheartening when yiou see them improve and I havnt and stilll after many years struggle (due to general striking fails) to shoot sub 90 let alone stay there. . That does get to you. Im human and i admit that. I dont think its normal that one wouldn't feel that way after the kinds of efforts I had put in.

That being said I have now come to the point where I (most of the times) simply accept my deficiency at consistency for general ball striking and I have to accept it cause I simply would not play anymore if I dont. I also no longer practice nor take the lessons (of which ive had so very many for a long time) and this way I can at least feel not as disheartened. Although I do still know what I have gone through and is still a shame I couldnt improve much at all. And so once in a while (though far fewer and much further apart then in the past) it can still get to me. I am human. And if/when it does I still have no issue leaving. Not often at all but It just is what it is.

Weather and poor play don't bother me. Getting paired up with a true jerk is the only thing that would cause me to regret playing. This has happened twice in more than 20 years. First time I got paired up with two lawyers while on vacation who proceeded to fight about strokes, scores and lies the entire round. I left them on 15 when I feared that they were going to come to blows, and they asked me who I thought was right. The second was more recent when I was paired with two guys who decided that their political views needed to be expounded continuously. I'm on the course to play golf and enjoy being outside - I don't need to get into a discussion about why one party or the other is to blame for all of the problems in the world.

S-L-O-W play in oppressive heat and humidity. Shoot me.

Weather and poor play don't bother me. Getting paired up with a true jerk is the only thing that would cause me to regret playing. This has happened twice in more than 20 years. First time I got paired up with two lawyers while on vacation who proceeded to fight about strokes, scores and lies the entire round. I left them on 15 when I feared that they were going to come to blows, and they asked me who I thought was right. The second was more recent when I was paired with two guys who decided that their political views needed to be expounded continuously. I'm on the course to play golf and enjoy being outside - I don't need to get into a discussion about why one party or the other is to blame for all of the problems in the world.
Thats Interesting. I never had to leave due to being in poor company and I play as single most the times. But I will say that the level of enjoyment of being out there in itself is often affected (for better or worse) by those we are to be keeping company with. Most folks are just fine. Many times some people (strangers just seem to fit so well with our self) and sometimes others not so much. The enjoyment or friendliness does differ but still usually always good enough to very good. But then yes you do occasionally and rarely get paired with someone or couple of folks that can just make the round a whole lot less fun. It does happen.

When I end up getting paired with people that get mad, throw clubs, or just otherwise be difficult people to be around. It throws my whole vibe off and my golf suffers. At least while I’m hitting bad shots I can laugh at myself to try and lighten the mood they have created.

All of these posts reminded me about catching the injury bug. Anyone feel like these injuries and pains come in waves? Started playing in 2009 and other than a couple of run ins with poison whatever, stayed injury free until 2019 when I started having both elbows act up after a year with my DG100s. My lifts in the gym seemed to exacerbate this until...finally...in May I began hitting the graphite MMT 105s. No more elbow pain. There were definitely times when I had CBD cream, Stamina Pro Patch, pre round with the Hyperice and a PT stretching routine, and still had pain. I was good until I stubbed my toe walking up stairs to the teeing ground at Wolf Creek. Jammed it into the ground on a drive a few rounds later and battled turf toe for a couple of weeks.

I managed to get through July and August injury free. On Saturday, I sprained my wrist trying to pop a ball out of the reeds next to a pond. Shock went up to my elbow too but thankfully with some ice and CBD cream it was fine the next day. Wrist is another story. No broken bones but a brace, lots of rest, ice, and no golf for at least a week! To make matters worse, I continued walking with the group and putting only to tweak my ankle going down an incline from tee to fairway...honestly!

The only time it’s not worth it for me is when I have an injury that isn’t 100% and it gets aggravated. One week off would have been better than a major set back

Yes. Last time I played, I did something to my neck working in the veggie garden the day before. Woke up with a stiff and sore neck. but, we had tee times, so I went out anyway. Was in pain the whole time, and think I aggravated it to the point where it took nearly a week of almost total inactivity for it to straighten out.

When it is brutally hot and humid. Sometimes when it is like that it is a burden trying to get through a round.

I have had a few rounds like that over the past few years that aren’t worth it. It is usually after golfing a ton and being mentally exhausted when I check out.

Have you ever had one of those rounds where for one reason or another you regret playing and just wish you had stayed home?
There have been times when I've regretted - or at least questioned - the last ten years of my life after taking up the game. There have also been rounds that were no better than a good day at work. In fact, they were really no better than a bad day at work. At least I get paid for that misery.

Seems it doesn't matter. The things I love about this game and the enjoyable rounds far outweigh those others.

5+ hour round pace, playing a goat ranch. "Why the F am I out here wasting my time and money"

I was gifted two free passes to this top 100 course a few years ago and invited my regular playing partner to join me. Beautiful course that I played decently. Didn't matter. Turned into a 5+ hour round with a playing partner who needed to change his ta**on halfway through it. What should have been a once-in-a-lifetime golf experience turned into one of the least enjoyable rounds I've played to date. I couldn't get to my car fast enough after the round. Lol.

The only positive is that it made me appreciate the tracks I normally play.

Haha sounds like a day worth watching golf not playing it.

exactly. I wanted to quit after 9 and my buddy wouldn't stop the cart 🤣

Every time I pull into a packed parking lot my heart breaks. Every time I pull into a nearly empty parking lot I feel like a kid on Christmas morning.

Buddy, ain’t that the truth. There’s nothing better than rolling along without ever catching up to anybody. I haven’t experienced that in a long time, but my last two rounds have been close. Both times we’ve waited for the first time on 16, then joined another twosome on 17 to finish out. Those are also the only two sub four hour rounds I’ve played in a couple of years.

To answer the main question, the recipe for “not worth it” for me has three ingredients:

1. I’m playing as a single (even if paired with strangers)

2. Play is slow

3. I’m playing terribly.

I can deal with 2 and 3 if I’m playing with friends…misery loves company. I’ve only bailed on two rounds ever, and they met all three criteria. Nine holes was more than enough those days, so that’s where I jumped off the train.

Last edited:
I have a hard time enjoying golf when I'm playing terrible. I used to be a lot worse and have made an effort over the years to not get so upset. It's still tough at times but I'm WAY better about it.

I had one round last year where my back was so tight that it wasn't even representative golf. I definitely had thoughts of no longer wanting to be on the course at that time.

I’m not playing when it’s over 100 degrees here in Phoenix, regardless if low cost or no green fees. Just not fun anymore when it’s that hot even if it’s a dry heat!

retract it! My daughter made her x-country meet sound like this on Saturday. My response was you have memories. Sitting at home doing nothing you would not have any good stories.

Nah, it pretty much sucked! Haha

Golf is always worth it to me. That being said there are certainly times it's less enjoyable as many others have mentioned. Terribly slow course, really poor weather, or really terrible play on my part will certainly decrease the enjoyment but at the end of the day it's still golf :cool:

There have been a few occasions out there where I put the ball in my pocket and just went along for the ride. Usually it’s due to recognizing that I have a poor attitude (for whatever reason) and it’s best to chill out.

Back