When is it time for a new Travel bag?

OITW

Reaction score
Plenty of threads on here about what travel bags and the wear on the travel bag.

This one is about what shape does your current one half to be in for you to buy a new one?

My current bag is, I want to say 7/8 years old, some rips and tears in the nylon, but the padding and cushion is still there. It's been a warrior and I think it has some more life to it.

How much wear/use does your travel bag have to have before replacing THP?

I have been using the same CaddyDaddy bag for nearly 1,000,000 miles on United / Star Alliance flights since 2014 Has a small tear in the bottom, and one of the buckles is completely gone. Most would see it and say I need to replace it, but I really believe that as long as your clubs are not at risk of falling out, no need for a new one.

That said, my entire golf bag is getting an overhaul (just a few pieces left to replace) this year, and the travel bag may end up being replaced just for the hell of it.

I have a hard shell case and the only thing I need to replace is the locks. Still trying to figure that out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If it is that beat up, it needs replaced.

I have a hard shell case and the only thing I need to replace is the locks. Still trying to figure that out.

Let me know when you figure out how to do that, I have one with the same problem haha

When your bag has the potential to tear and you lose your stuff, replace it. That being said, budgetgolf has Black Friday around the corner, and OGIO makes a heck of a travel bag

Let me know when you figure out how to do that, I have one with the same problem haha

When your bag has the potential to tear and you lose your stuff, replace it. That being said, budgetgolf has Black Friday around the corner, and OGIO makes a heck of a travel bag

f8991c50064a9dc710ae4ebb5e12c1ea.jpg

Maybe this??

Just like with socks, when your heel or toe starts showing.

I could make the same reference (ish) for underwear but this is a family friendly place.

Probably time if it’s not doing the job intended, or you are the least bit concerned that it might fail because of known wear. No sense tempting things, in my opinion anyway.

I have been using the same CaddyDaddy bag for nearly 1,000,000 miles on United / Star Alliance flights since 2014 Has a small tear in the bottom, and one of the buckles is completely gone. Most would see it and say I need to replace it, but I really believe that as long as your clubs are not at risk of falling out, no need for a new one.

That said, my entire golf bag is getting an overhaul (just a few pieces left to replace) this year, and the travel bag may end up being replaced just for the hell of it.

When you get a sweet custom limited edition Morgan Cup bag.... if I had that, the bag would ride champagne class is the best travel bag I could find...probably accompanied by armed guards

Just like with socks, when your heel or toe starts showing.

I could make the same reference (ish) for underwear but this is a family friendly place.

That’s a great analogy

7/8 years not very long. The replacement should be a different brand. Have a club glove which has gone 22 years and about 60 trips and it has at least that many still in it.

This is funny. I didn't see this yesterday. I must have been too busy trying to find my travel bag.

And that's my answer. Shape and wear are irrelevant. When you can't find it because you moved and only your wife was there when all your stuff was unloaded into storage, and you travel tomorrow, it's time for a new bag.

I think mine is in pretty good shape. It took a nasty scuff/tear on the very first plane ride, but has looked the same ever since. So wife gets that one eventually I guess.

Were there cool travel bags 8 years ago? That's a long time in golf. Might be weird to put your sick new clubs in the crown marked RAZR FIT of golf bags..

Last edited:
Plenty of threads on here about what travel bags and the wear on the travel bag.

This one is about what shape does your current one half to be in for you to buy a new one?

My current bag is, I want to say 7/8 years old, some rips and tears in the nylon, but the padding and cushion is still there. It's been a warrior and I think it has some more life to it.

How much wear/use does your travel bag have to have before replacing THP?

When TSA tears off your zippers.

My travel bag looks ugly but still works great - no tears. It’s from 2002 and has been all over on hundreds of flights. But if the zipper breaks or it tears Or the wheels fall off I’ll replace it.
It’s this one that I own(minus the travel arm) In the unlikely event it does finally break, I will replace it with the same one.

Now I can't stop picturing a RAZR FIT of golf bags. I think we need pics.

Last edited:
When the wheels are shot the bag is shot! Like that grocery cart you grab with one wheel that doesn’t roll.... you end up dragging it around the store because you have already added purchase items into the cart.

A couple smallish tears are inevitable and most of the time fixable, but wobbly wheels that don’t roll well is just fighting it....

As long as it doesn’t have any major rips or tears I’ll use it. I’ll be more concerned with the padding than anything else

If the zipper(s) is/are broken, it loses a wheel or gets a large hole in it - that's when it's a necessity to replace.

Once it falls out of fashion with another travel bag you've heard about/seen then it's prudent to replace.

I purchased an OGIO bag the first time I travelled to Florida 12 years ago. It sees a couple of flights a year, and aside from having to replace one of the little metal ventilation grommets it is still in full operation. What I really like about it is that it has two straps inside to hold the golf bag in place, has large pockets on both sides of the top (shoes/towels fit to protect the club heads) and has two more circumferential straps on the outside that keep the exoskeleton tightened down to the bag inside which I am sure helps prevent tears and snags. I believe that when it comes to an item like this, which you know is going to get tossed around willy-nilly you get what you pay for.

If you’d like us to send out new buckles, please send me an email or direct message with your address. Nearly 1 million is crazy!

Back