When is there too much bounce?

gmiller598

Par 3 Net Zero
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I’m trying to figure out what wedges are right for me in the 54 and 58 lofts. I hear people say more bounce is better, especially for higher handicap players who struggle with contact but how much is too much?

i was taught to chip with the face opened up a bit to use the bounce on a club but I know that there are some higher bounce clubs where opening the face is harder because of the grind used. I hear the original CBX mentioned in this category.

I usually role with a higher bounce SW (12* and up) and a lower bounce LW (6-8*) so I have options no matter the lie. I need at least one low bounce club preferably with a c grind because I'm often faced with hardpan and firm bunkers, and without it its blade city for me.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I'll piggyback on JMB3 to say that a mix of bounces is very beneficial. I have a 56/14 for fluffy lies in the bunker or thick rough and a 60/04 for hard packed sand and tight lies elsewhere. I can't remember what my 52 is. Might be in my signature. High bounce can be your friend, but depending on your normal playing conditions can also work against you.

I echo what's been said. I have a V-sole GW, 54-14, and 58-08.

personally, i don't know that i buy into the different bounce idea. i like the idea of becoming intimately familiar with turf interaction on one setup, then just using different lofts and technique to achieve different carry/trajectory. it just seems like adding another element of turf interaction makes the shot that much more difficult. but my short game is sh1t, so maybe that's why i try to keep it as simple as possible.

Bounce isn't something I pay much attention to. I have been playing a single wedge for most of the year and really have been able to use it for everything I need. Its a Cobra King Black 54/10 V grind.

Having the low bounce option is part of my dilemma. Ohio has been really dry for about the last month and I rarely see a course where the bunkers aren’t hard. The CBX2 I’m considering for the 58 slot is 10* of bounce so I’m wondering if that is too much for playing in hard conditions. The ground will probably get a bit softer with fall rain but the bunkers will always be hard.

I’m considering the Eye2 sole for the Glide 3.0 and that is 8*. That seems more versatile in the overall scheme. I never use the 54 or 58 as full swing clubs.

I was a mid bounce user for a lot of years, and switched to the lowest bounce RTX-3's i could grab in 54 and 58 this year.

The verdict? I Love It.

Mid summer conditions get hard here. No water, short cut fairways...... I wanted less bounce, and it has really helped things out for me this year.

TXG has an awesome wedge video from about a year ago where they hit high, mid, and low bounce off both soft and firm lies..... safest bet is always a mid bounce (8-10*). can play from any lie and can open slightly when needed.

But you kinda answered your own questions by saying what course/conditions you play. whatever your main club around the green is id personally get a mid bounce and if you carry a 58 or 60 I would make that the low bounce. Cleveland rtx4 has low at 6* and xlow at 3*.

90% of my rounds in Chicago I tee off by 6:10 am on weekends so there's always dew and soft conditions until about hole 14 so I have 9* bounce for my 52 and 12* bounce on my 58. I do have a backup 58 with 6* if I play after work when its more dry or a certain course that has practically rocks and cement as a sand trap lol

Back