When It Was Just A Game We Played

Nice stuff syndicate!

No worries! So I'm figuring mine are mid-80s, how old is that set you had?

The first set I had was a Wilson Oversized set, 2nd hand, paid and bought without hitting a single shot with them and without ever playing a round.

Those a long gone, I played only a while with them and then a friend of mine fixed me these: Wilson Deep Red II Tour

With these I played a long time, and I had them in storage for 6 years when I picked the game up again. Sold a couple years ago, needed money for fitting and new clubs...

img2938.jpg

img2940j.jpg

img2949.jpg

img2942ne.jpg

Now I regret that I sold them away, I did actually like those clubs.

I played an old iron set that I found at a flea market for $15. The brand was "Head" and they had a gold graphite shaft. I only played hand me down clubs and old putters. I didn't take the game seriously enough to pay full price. It didn't take long after meeting Ole Gray that I had a brand new set of Ping irons.

My first set was a set of Wilson "Sam Snead" Young Champ clubs...Driver, 3W and 3,6,9 iron and PW

A set of Petron predator irons for me bought for £5 with the bag at a boot sale. Used a Ram Wizard 600 putter given tome by my father.The irons were great and went miles unless you didnt middle them, in which case you would feel the miss hit through both hands and arms.

I had a junior set, I think my brother has those at home. Then i got a hand me down set of Dunlop woods and irons from the 80's that I gamed for probably 8 years. Parents bought me a set of Adams GT irons when I graduated college and I played those 6 years until last year. I had an occasional change in woods, putters, and wedges, but for the most part I've only had those sets of clubs. This is the first time I've ever done a complete bag overhaul and its because of you jerks....lol

My first clubs were a set of Chi Chi Rodriguez that had I think three irons (5, 7 and 9) and a driver, 5 wood and putter. I carried that little bag on my back as I rode my bicycle to the course. Then the course closed and I have no idea whatever happened to them. I didn't pick up a club again for about 20 years. Now look at me go.

I had a set of Tommy Armour 845's with some Taylormade woods that had the bubble shafts. I miss those days, I'd go to the range right after work and stay until they closed a lot of nights, I remember standing under the heaters in the bays thinking it was the greatest thing in the world. I truly love this game!

Great thread

I had a set of Tommy Armour 845's with some Taylormade woods that had the bubble shafts. I miss those days, I'd go to the range right after work and stay until they closed a lot of nights, I remember standing under the heaters in the bays thinking it was the greatest thing in the world. I truly love this game!

Great thread

Loved those 845's, they were something special in their day.

My first set was a very old, very used set of macGregor wooden woods and Golden Bear irons. I played pretty well with them back in the day, no idea how, lol.

Set of graphite Tommy Armour 855s Silver Scot, Ram 3w, 5w & driver (don't remember which model), Ram Zebra putter. My Uncle worked for Ram then Tommy Armour back in the day, so all my families gear were from those Co.

This was a great idea for a thread Jeff. I started playing 5 years ago so my first set wasn't as old as all of yours. But they were a set I bought from a family member for $100. They were TaylorMade Firesole irons and a 420 driver and fwy wood (not sure who made them).

Loved those 845's, they were something special in their day.

My first set was a very old, very used set of macGregor wooden woods and Golden Bear irons. I played pretty well with them back in the day, no idea how, lol.

It's funny, I picked up an 845 recently and it still felt damn good, the huge offset killed it though lol. The Golden Bears were some good looking irons but the wooden woods man you're a stud hitting them lol.

It's funny, I picked up an 845 recently and it still felt damn good, the huge offset killed it though lol. The Golden Bears were some good looking irons but the wooden woods man you're a stud hitting them lol.

They looked almost identical to these:

Augusta-driversole.jpg

I remember when metal woods started appearing and saying "Oh, hell no. Those fuggly looking things won't ever catch on", haha.

Can't remember the brand of my first real set, but I do remember getting them. I came home from a middle school dance in 7th grade (14 years old) and my dad had the whole set waiting for me in my room. It was a similar deal as in the OP, all clubs from putter to driver were the same make.

That's when I really started taking the game more seriously, but I was terrible. I had to buy the single Izzo strap to modify the bag so it could be carried on both shoulders when we walked. I played a lot with my dad back then and it's probably a reason we're as close as we are today, but man I was awful. The first club I had that wasn't from that set was an original Tight Lies. Then one of my dads customers pressured him into buying one of his putters so my dad gave me his Odyssey Dual Force 330 Mallet.

My first name brand set of clubs was the Taylor Made Super Steels that I got for my 16 birthday and actually didn't replace until two summers ago, so I had them for 10 years. When I got the Super Steels we ended up giving my old set to charity or something like that, but I really wish I still had them.

I started playing in the early 1970's when I was 12 or 13. I played some old Spalding blade irons early on and then some Spalding Executive irons for at least 15 years. I played a Spalding driver and woods for a couple of years and then I moved on to a Tour Select driver with the Spalding woods. At some point I also played a Wilson metal headed driver with a boron shaft. That one was a big deal when it came out. I know people rarely changed clubs back in those days. I still fear the guy today that has older clubs and a plain jane bag. The guy with the least amount of flash is the one that will take your money.

111275695_set-irons-1956-spalding-top-flite-synchro-dyned-golf-.jpg

IMGP3169.jpg

IMGP3170.jpg

IMGP3173.jpg

IMGP3177.jpg

Here is some pic's of my dad's old clubs which I still have. These were custom made irons by a guy that was a jeweler here where I live. I'll guarantee you there was not an once of forgiveness in these clubs. When you miss hit them, you not only seen the poor results, you could feel it. These would sting your hands big time.

oldirons3.jpg

oldirons2.jpg

oldirons1.jpg

I think mine were Wison blue ridge Sam Snead signature irons. I later moved on to First Flight irons. Power Bilt persimmon woods were pretty sweet back then to.

the clubs that I first had I can't remember the name, but they actually had a driver that was wood. Then I moved to a foremost which I think were made by dunlop. I actually used the 5 wood last year in my bag, and could hit it pretty well. Oh the memories.

Great topic there Jeffro...I am amazed how many of you guys still have your first set..

When I was a kid I would go spend a week out of state with my favorite uncle..he played all the time..he took me to a 9 hole "pitch & Putt" par 3 course when I was 12...it was alot like putt putt except you walked out of the office with a couple of irons and 3 balls instead of just 1 ball and one putter..I had fun but didn't consider getting into the game.

Then when I was 16, in 1989, my uncle took me to a driving range..I went from there straight to K-Mart and shelled out about 100 bucks on a cheap half set of an unknown brand (1W, 3W, 3, 5, 7, 9i and putter), an ugly neon blue bag and a couple boxes of balls and tees. I went back to the same K-mart later in the summer and bought a $17 sand wedge and the most super high tech putter available at Kmart..haha..that was my first set.

Then metal woods started showing up...I had to have one, and by this time I had played 10 or so times so I was quite sure that all my game needed was a full set of irons and metal woods..hahaha..I sold the half set to my little brother and found a full set of Wilsons including steel shafted metalwoods at a pawn shop. Turns out that stuff didn't turn me into a scratch golfer after all...hahaha

I hung onto that stuff for 6-7 years but after I graduated and spent so much time at college or at work I kinda quit playing...other than an occasional bucket at a range. Then one day I realized that my ex stripper girlfriend was a psycho and I grabbed some clothes and bolted...left dang near all my possessions there, clubs, electronics, furniture, etc...just wanted out fast.

Fast forward another 16 years and I got the fever again...and in 15 months I am on my 3rd set of irons, 3rd putter, 3rd set of fairway woods and 6th driver...hahahaha... but I am now pretty happy with my bag and have finally figured out that it's the Indian, not the arrow or the bow so much.

No worries! So I'm figuring mine are mid-80s, how old is that set you had?
Got them brand new at JCPenneys in 1977 or 78.

My two best friends in high school both got the same set as each other, Sam Snead Blue Ridge, just after I got mine. They never got them mixed up, one was right-handed and the other was left-handed!

First set of irons was a starter set of Spaulding Executives. Man did I love those clubs. Then I replaced them with some Ping Zings that I got from Santa. That was when my club hoing began. I think I literally put the golf shops kids through college with my craziness.

I started with a set of Powerbuilt irons with graphite shafts that were softer than a wet noodle. I had some Infinity woods to accompany them and an old rubber mini-golf putter from a garage sale to round out the set.

My first set was a Dunlop starter set when I was in my early teens. My first "upgrade" was a used Orbiter Metalhead 3-wood (used to crush that thing!). Then my first "nice upgrade" was a Never Compromise Z/I Omega putter my dad bought me for a birthday after I'd been playing a couple of years.

My first set as a kid was a set of Wilson Staff Patty Berg women's clubs. But when I started back up at about 21 I had a set of the uber ugly Cleveland VAS. That set scarred my eyes so bad, I haven't been able to look down at anything SGI since.

Back