When on the green,.......why....

rollin

"Just playin golf pally"
Reaction score
Handicap
WHY.....
.......when in no ones way at all are you not lined up?
........when in no ones way at all is your ball not down and ready to putt but only do so "well after" it becomes your turn like as if you need an audience?
......do you refuse to finish after lag putting?
........do you have to pick up and mark and walk away every single time till holed?

.......when knowing full well you have no intention of finishing out after lagging do you have to then interrupt the next person who is already been waiting, is all ready and about to putt because your ball isnt bothering him but yet he now has to pull up and wait for you as you just have to go walk over to your ball just so you can pick it up and mark it for no reason and take it for a sunday stroll? He knows your not going to finish out and so hes just trying to utilize time efficiently and putt after you but you are not only not going to finish but now have to prevent him from going.

.......when first on the green and in no ones way at all cant you simply clean quickly and replace without walking away and taking your ball for a sunday stroll?
......is it so many times there is not a ball to be seen anywhere on the green even though no one is in anyone line nor is anyone's ball to be in anyone's way as we may be far apart and at totally different angles?
.......did you never consider arriving to the green in such a manor so as to servery and view your putt from both sides before even getting to your ball so this way its done and you dont have to then go and do it after it becomes your turn?

I can likely keep going as the antics on greens can be incredible and the kicker is that very many the same folks who do these things (and other things) and are not utilize time on greens efficiently (in fact are inefficient at it) yet are among some the worst pace complainers in existence.

Ok rant over Im ready to be bashed and disliked and hit with bombs.:cool:

Last edited:
I'm ready to putt the second the guy before me hits his putt, I'm behind my ball until he hits, I'm ready when his ball is still rolling if it's a reasonable length putt.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

I will say, that post was a little tough for me to read through, but if my buddy is trying to putt, I will try everything in my power to not distract him. Same as I would want from him or her. That being said, we have never held up the group behind us. If we see we have some space, we will take more time lining up our putts. But if people are waiting, we hurry up and get it done.

I’m still waiting on the pin to be pulled.
Have you thought about finding a group of like minded individuals to play golf with, the way you deem golf to be played, and be done with complaints? It can’t be enjoyable.

Why all that, and more? It's simple. Not everyone who has paid their green fees to golf is on the same page on how they golf. .

Different people enjoy their golf in different ways. This will never change.

I will say, that post was a little tough for me to read through, but if my buddy is trying to putt, I will try everything in my power to not distract him. Same as I would want from him or her. That being said, we have never held up the group behind us. If we see we have some space, we will take more time lining up our putts. But if people are waiting, we hurry up and get it done.
Glad you dont hold up.....But why would you have to wait tll folks are behind you in order to be more time efficient? Why not just do that before it could get to that point?

I’m still waiting on the pin to be pulled.
Have you thought about finding a group of like minded individuals to play golf with, the way you deem golf to be played, and be done with complaints? It can’t be enjoyable.
Why all that, and more? It's simple. Not everyone who has paid their green fees to golf is on the same page on how they golf. .

Different people enjoy their golf in different ways. This will never change.
Matthew ,..you dont personally know me at all.

I bring these things up because we are most "all" forever complaining of pace and slow rounds as that is and has been dominating conversation in golf for a very long time an here on THP too.
That said......its a fact that greens play is among one the most detrimental things to pace and those are some the reasons why.

I agree with this. When it's not my turn, I'm getting my read, and behind my ball trying to get a feel for pace. Some of that may change if I'm in their peripheral vision, but a lot of that is just common sense. But if my partner has a long walk to his ball, and I'm already ready to go? Yeah, I might play out of turn just to take advantage of time. Kinda depends on the situation, again.

But if it's say your turn, and you can see me? You won't know I'm there. It's just common courtesy.

I am always ready to putt, and don't need a 360 walk around to get going, though that sometimes costs me. I do need to mark if I have a 3 footer left; even the pros are missing those these days.

Glad you dont hold up.....But why would you have to wait tll folks are behind you in order to be more time efficient? Why not just do that before it could get to that point?

This is good question and not sure I have the correct answer, but I will try my best. The way we feel (if it's me and my usual partners) and people are waiting for us to finish, we feel rushed as to not hold up the group behind and waste no time making our putts. If no one is waiting for us to finish, why not take the extra time to ensure you can make the putt? If I miss a putt and no one is waiting behind us, I may take another putt or two from the same spot to see if I can get the line.

edit: worth noting, usually during our rounds we are not trying to finish as quick as possible, but to have a "good" round.

.......when first on the green and in no ones way at all cant you simply clean quickly and replace without walking away and taking your ball for a sunday stroll?

I agree with most of it, but with this one, are you suggesting that if I hit the green and the others in my group are still off that I should putt out before they reach the green?

Matthew ,..you dont personally know me at all.

I bring these things up because we are most "all" forever complaining of pace and slow rounds as that is and has been dominating conversation in golf for a very long time an here on THP too.
That said......its a fact that greens play is among one the most detrimental things to pace and those are some the reasons why.
I agree with you, but my reasoning still stands. You just can't get everyone to play the same way.

We can talk, and complain all we want. It's not going to make a difference.

This is why I just hit the ball, go find it, and hit it again. Works for me.

I've gone out of turn many times when folks skull it over the green and need to walk over etc....
Why wait for someone that has a 30 second walk, then needs to look over over/line?
I'm ready, I get right up, line it up, and go.
No reason to wait, it also gives that player a minute to cool off and assess their position.
I do this in the fairway as well if I know they are in trouble.
#ReadyGolf

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

This is good question and not sure I have the correct answer, but I will try my best. The way we feel (if it's me and my usual partners) and people are waiting for us to finish, we feel rushed as to not hold up the group behind and waste no time making our putts. If no one is waiting for us to finish, why not take the extra time to ensure you can make the putt? If I miss a putt and no one is waiting behind us, I may take another putt or two from the same spot to see if I can get the line.

edit: worth noting, usually during our rounds we are not trying to finish as quick as possible, but to have a "good" round.
fwiw I dint like speed golf at all and want the intent of my post.
Mostly that greens play (or antics as I choose to call them) are among the biggest reasons for many the slow pace problem rounds that so many complain about being in.

@rollin
You have a playing partner you truly dislike.

I agree with most of it, but with this one, are you suggesting that if I hit the green and the others in my group are still off that I should putt out before they reach the green?
not really but more so just to be ready. And its not about rushing at all but simply about using time more efficiently. But yea in some cases if one is traversing to the other side to chip/pitch and has a lot to walk and then assessing to do,.....then why not if your ready to go then why not go as it allows them time to go anmd set up? And whilke they do you have putted. It works respectfully too.

not really but more so just to be ready. And its not about rushing at all but simply about using time more efficiently. But yea in some cases if one is traversing to the other side to chip/pitch and has a lot to walk and then assessing to do,.....then why not if your ready to go then why not go as it allows them time to go anmd set up? And whilke they do you have putted. It works respectfully too.
I dunno. I guess probably the same reason I don't head to the next tee as soon as I putt out. I just don't wanna be "that guy".

I dunno. I guess probably the same reason I don't head to the next tee as soon as I putt out. I just don't wanna be "that guy".
I find most folks will wait till all done and not so sure this is tied to the greens antics (as I call them). Again....... its not a race and not my intent to be one.

fwiw I dint like speed golf at all and want the intent of my post.
Mostly that greens play (or antics as I choose to call them) are among the biggest reasons for many the slow pace problem rounds that so many complain about being in.

I will agree that some groups/people play way to slow while on the green. Sometimes my group will be waiting in the fairway while the group in front lines up their putts likes the Masters is on the line - this gets on my nerves. If it was my group on the green and people were waiting, we would finish as quick as possible unless there is a group on the next tee box and no where to go.

Also, I agree with you in the scenario a partner is trying to figure out their next shot and is much farther away from you. If this is the case and I'm ready to go, I'm making my putt. None of my partners have ever had a problem with this and vice versa.

I will agree that some groups/people play way to slow while on the green. Sometimes my group will be waiting in the fairway while the group in front lines up their putts likes the Masters is on the line - this gets on my nerves. If it was my group on the green and people were waiting, we would finish as quick as possible unless there is a group on the next tee box and no where to go.
to add....not so much imo about the lining up but more about when the person could have easily had that part done already (and done just as good) while someone else was going but instead had to wait till they had an audience before beginning to do any of it at all.

WHY.....
.......when in no ones way at all are you not lined up?
........when in no ones way at all is your ball not down and ready to putt but only do so "well after" it becomes your turn like as if you need an audience?
......do you refuse to finish after lag putting?
........do you have to pick up and mark and walk away every single time till holed?

.......when knowing full well you have no intention of finishing out after lagging do you have to then interrupt the next person who is already been waiting, is all ready and about to putt because your ball isnt bothering him but yet he now has to pull up and wait for you as you just have to go walk over to your ball just so you can pick it up and mark it for no reason and take it for a sunday stroll? He knows your not going to finish out and so hes just trying to utilize time efficiently and putt after you but you are not only not going to finish but now have to prevent him from going.

......is it so many times there is not a ball to be seen anywhere on the green even though no one is in anyone line nor is anyone's ball to be in anyone's way as we may be far apart and at totally different angles?
.......did you never consider arriving to the green in such a manor so as to servery and view your putt from both sides before even getting to your ball so this way its done and you dont have to then go and do it after it becomes your turn?

I can likely keep going as the antics on greens can be incredible and the kicker is that very many the same folks who do these things (and other things) and are not utilize time on greens efficiently (in fact are inefficient at it) yet are among some the worst pace complainers in existence.

Ok rant over Im ready to be bashed and disliked and hit with bombs.:cool:

The question of why is quite easy to answer. People do it because the pros do it.

Back