When on the green,.......why....

Nobody wants to distract someone but you can't guarantee it. Shoes squeak, you can accidentally drop your putter or ball, all kinds of stuff you can do can interrupt someone. Just stay still and let someone putt. If you want to move around fine but if you bother someone then hopefully they will tell you instead of stewing on it.

Your second point about not marking your ball. If my ball hits your ball then it is a penalty (provided I putt the ball from the green). Why would I give myself another way to lose strokes, doesn't make sense.
I believe the rule is, if you putt your ball and it strikes my ball, then it's a penalty on me.

What do you mean “this exactly “? You’re too lazy to walk. 😒

Not true .... my body tells me to NOT walk unless I want more pain than I'm already in. :eek:

I believe the rule is, if you putt your ball and it strikes my ball, then it's a penalty on me.
Nope it is on the person who played the stroke.

Rule 11.1 - Exception – Ball Played on Putting Green in Stroke Play: If your ball in motion hits another ball at rest on the putting green and both balls were on the putting green before your stroke, you get the general penalty (two penalty strokes).

Just because my ball is marked doesn't mean I am ready to putt. If I am not the furthest from the hole, or someone is chipping on, I am walking around the green and trying to get as much information as I can. certainly, there are ways to speed that up and if I am first to putt, I am getting maybe two angles and lining it up. But just because I can play faster doesn't mean I should, especially if there is no one to hold up or if we are being held up by the group in front.

Hot take alert: Generally speaking, I think it takes someone more time to hit three putts quickly than to line up the first put well and leave a 3 footer or less coming back.

And just to note (or mention or ask) .....when a person is going to putt after you have and your ball didnt make the cup and you have no intention at all of finishing then why stop the other person from putting just so you can walk and go get your ball? Why not just allow that person who is already set and about to putt to then just make his putt?

As a courtesy to the other guy, I guess. I can't stand it when I am about to putt and someone leaves their ball within a couple feet of the hole. It's distracting for one and I don't really wanna take a chance on the two penalty strokes if I hit it. I figure some people may not know it's a penalty to hit another ball on the green so I'll save them the learning experience.

I don't know. I don't typically see these things you brought up actually cause slow play. Usually, it's the chipping across the green, and 3 or 4 putts that I witness that seems to hold a group up on the greens. And, if that is where they're slow, I am fine with it. They're trying. I don't think I have seen anyone go full PGA Tour routine that didn't have the game to back it up.

I mark my ball because that is what etiquette dictates. I like when people mark their balls when they are directly in my field of vision around the hole. I find it distracting and it literally takes 5 seconds to do. If I cannot finish out my putt without stepping on another players line, I mark it and will finish when it's my turn. Again, as etiquette dictates.

I think it's the time wasted in the fairway when you are 20-30 yards apart from one another that wastes the most time. All sorts of stuff you can do to ensure you're ready to go when it's your turn. Or, just play ready golf. But, once you are on the green, you do your best not to distract anyone.

one who readies himself before its his turn does not have to be a distraction to the player who is putting. Most the things I mention can be done without distraction to the player and when practical to do them. If not practical due to proximity or distraction of another than of course we give way. But so much can so often get done without that being an issue at all nor via any rushing but simply just to utilize the time more efficiently.

IMHO green issues is not the problem regarding POP, its playing the wrong tees, and not knowing your limits on a fairway. You know how many times I have sat on a tee box waiting for some knucklehead that is 230 to the green WAITING for those guys to get off the green to hit a 50 yard clunker. That idiot was never going to hit that green to begin with.

Yes, he may not hit the green but say he hit it 200 yards and rolls another 15. The guys on the green hear it land and see it roll. Now you got 4 guys thinking you're purposely hitting into them even though the guy hitting the ball knew they were in no danger of being hit. It doesn't matter to hem. That ball (now after complaining about it with each other since it landed) has gone from landing 30 feet away from the green to,"Almost took Phil's head off"!

So while you may see guys that certainly won't reach the green, you have another group of guys that don't want to feel rushed and have golf balls, "flying over their heads"! It's just easier to wait the extra 2 minutes sometimes.

I think it's the constant marking and remarking of every putt that slows it on the greens. Not every putt is for The Masters guys. I don't ever mark my ball unless its in someones line or they ask me because they feel it messes up their sight line. I just putt it where i find itwithout picking it up. I'd prefer that once a person puttshes not done until he holes out then next player goes instead of having a 2 foot huddle around the flag as everyone gets closer but doesn't sink it. I would also suggest adding your score, cleaning your clubs, grabbing a drink from your bag, changing your glove, etc be done on the way to the next tee box or when you arrive there and not sitting greenside of the hole you just finished.

I don't know. I don't typically see these things you brought up actually cause slow play. Usually, it's the chipping across the green, and 3 or 4 putts that I witness that seems to hold a group up on the greens. And, if that is where they're slow, I am fine with it. They're trying. I don't think I have seen anyone go full PGA Tour routine that didn't have the game to back it up.

I mark my ball because that is what etiquette dictates. I like when people mark their balls when they are directly in my field of vision around the hole. I find it distracting and it literally takes 5 seconds to do. If I cannot finish out my putt without stepping on another players line, I mark it and will finish when it's my turn. Again, as etiquette dictates.

I think it's the time wasted in the fairway when you are 20-30 yards apart from one another that wastes the most time. All sorts of stuff you can do to ensure you're ready to go when it's your turn. Or, just play ready golf. But, once you are on the green, you do your best not to distract anyone.
Ive seen it and on ocassion Ive been in group with an individual or two and on a rare occasion 3 who just had difficulty keeping pace due much too much wasted time on greens. And thats an issue when most or all of entire group are not utilizing their time on the greens in a more efficient manor.

as for balls in view? If you dont like a ball in view thats fine imo.
But if the person putting doesnt care one bit if your bvall is in his field of view and he is ready to and proceeding to putt,...why stop him? Why make him pull up just so you can walk over to pick up and mark when it not in his way and he dont care? And now after your gone he has to reset all over again.

I mean so anothers ball after lag puttuing from 30 feet away is 3 feet to my right and not in my way nor in my line nor do i care and no way im missing that far right from where I am. I know the person is one who "will not" be finishing out the hole without picking up and marking and walking away. So why stop me from putting? Why walk from 30 feet away and go to thier ball and stop me while Im ready and all set and proceeding to take the stroke? I can basically putt before they reach their ball and be done. But now i have to pull up and wait for thier stroll and to stroll away and then i have to reset. In that time I would had putted and even likely finished if missed as they then went to get their ball. Just sayin...it asnt a bother to anyone and its done efficiently and isnt at all rushed. But simply just got it done and the other person can still go and pick up and mark and whatever but one more of us is done in the mean time. Not any rush but just njot wasting time and using it well is all that is.

one who readies himself before its his turn does not have to be a distraction to the player who is putting. Most the things I mention can be done without distraction to the player and when practical to do them. If not practical due to proximity or distraction of another than of course we give way. But so much can so often get done without that being an issue at all nor via any rushing but simply just to utilize the time more efficiently.
So you are saying no one is doing what they can to read their putts and prepare themselves before it's their turn? Because I don't know if I have ever seen someone sit there and do absolutely nothing while they wait for their turn. I feel like you are driving very hard at what you perceive is an issue.

Ive seen it and on ocassion Ive been in group with an individual or two and on a rare occasion 3 who just had difficulty keeping pace due much too much wasted time on greens. And thats an issue when most or all of entire group are not utilizing their time on the greens in a more efficient manor.

as for balls in view? If you dont like a ball in view thats fine imo.
But if the person putting doesnt care one bit if your bvall is in his field of view and he is ready to and proceeding to putt,...why stop him? Why make him pull up just so you can walk over to pick up and mark when it not in his way and he dont care? And now after your gone he has to reset all over again.

I mean so anothers ball after lag puttuing from 30 feet away is 3 feet to my right and not in my way nor in my line nor do i care and no way im missing that far right from where I am. I know the person is one who "will not" be finishing out the hole without picking up and marking and walking away. So why stop me from putting? Why walk from 30 feet away and go to thier ball and stop me while Im ready and all set and proceeding to take the stroke? I can basically putt before they reach their ball and be done. But now i have to pull up and wait for thier stroll and to stroll away and then i have to reset. In that time I would had putted and even likely finished if missed as they then went to get their ball. Just sayin...it asnt a bother to anyone and its done efficiently and isnt at all rushed. But simply just got it done and the other person can still go and pick up and mark and whatever but one more of us is done in the mean time. Not any rush but just njot wasting time and using it well is all that is.
You can tell them to leave it.

IMHO green issues is not the problem regarding POP, its playing the wrong tees, and
sorry i backtracked here a bit.
I couldn't disagree more as for tee choice. That imo is one the least pace detriments there is and is far overrated as for pace while greens is on top that list.

sorry i backtracked here a bit.
I couldn't disagree more as for tee choice. That imo is one the least pace detriments there is and is far overrated as for pace while greens is on top that list.
Lol, according to what?

Lol, according to what?
according to my opinion and what i beleive is misguided logic . And also long time ago as some of us had this same discussion JB had (at that time) chimed in with some sort of THP proven experiences (I forget exactly what it was) which told that tee choice made little to no difference in the pace.

Tee choice can lead to more strokes and so can playing poorly from any tee. But taking more strokes does not at all in any way have to mean a slow play problem. Ive had some the worst rounds ever (at 100-ish or more strokes) while doing so in some the quickest paced rounds. I have to move quicker and ready myself quicker and do all the things I can before I get to my ball when i take more strokes but its still can easily get done without holding up anyone. Greens play on the other hand? if one doesnt do all he can while he can while practical to do so then time is being wasted instead of utilized efficiently and there in lies what could be a pace issue especially if all in the group do the same poor time managing.

Then find other golfers who don’t aggravate you. It’s really that simple.
I can't choose the golfers who play in the groups in front of me. I routinely see them doing all these things while I wait in the fairway

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I can't choose the golfers who play in the groups in front of me. I routinely see them doing all these things while I wait in the fairway

And there’s nothing you can do about it but turn the tunes up and have good conversation w/ the people around ya.

IMHO green issues is not the problem regarding POP, its playing the wrong tees, and not knowing your limits on a fairway. You know how many times I have sat on a tee box waiting for some knucklehead that is 230 to the green WAITING for those guys to get off the green to hit a 50 yard clunker. That idiot was never going to hit that green to begin with.

I can’t speak to all locales, but I can say the time spent on and around the greens is the biggest culprit of slow play across the different tours. speaking to a couple of LPGA players they have said the free times are so slow for a segment of players that they have debated sitting down in the fairways numerous times.

They are not in your group so I wouldn't expect you to be able to choose who those people are. The OP mentioned people in his group, so my comment stands, if it aggravates you that much, find another group that play and think like you do. Life is too short to worry about what you can't control.

according to my opinion and what i beleive is misguided logic . And also long time ago as some of us had this same discussion JB had (at that time) chimed in with some sort of THP proven experiences (I forget exactly what it was) which told that tee choice made little to no difference in the pace.

Tee choice can lead to more strokes and so can playing poorly from any tee. But taking more strokes does not at all in any way have to mean a slow play problem. Ive had some the worst rounds ever (at 100-ish or more strokes) while doing so in some the quickest paced rounds. I have to move quicker and ready myself quicker and do all the things I can before I get to my ball when i take more strokes but its still can easily get done without holding up anyone. Greens play on the other hand? if one doesnt do all he can while he can while practical to do so then time is being wasted instead of utilized efficiently and there in lies what could be a pace issue especially if all in the group do the same poor time managing.
Ok well come to Arizona and play a few rounds behind people choosing the wrong tee. Forced carries across desert is an issue. There is little to no room for mistakes, so when playing the wrong tees does not get you to a landing zone and people don't want to lose a ball it becomes an issue.

Ok well come to Arizona and play a few rounds behind people choosing the wrong tee. Forced carries across desert is an issue. There is little to no room for mistakes, so when playing the wrong tees does not get you to a landing zone and people don't want to lose a ball it becomes an issue.
I can buy that in certain given circumstances. One being the uniqueness of desert golf and its little room for error.
But thats not the norm in most places and people can and do spray balls from any tee pretty much the same so that issue matters not which tee and especially in normal (none desert golf) scenarios. i played desert golf once in arizona and unless your hitting straight your (from what i recall) in trouble but thats from any tee and even on approach shots. Its simply not made for the bogey player to have a bad errant ball striking day. But such golf is not the norm in most places and is unique.

Last edited:
One sure-fire cure for pace of play angst:

Patience.

Patience.

What's that? I'm only 43 and I think I ran out years ago.

Patience.
Yup, and is what i gtry to tell folks who are complaining while we may be waiting. Occupy the mind and or try to move attention away from watching. Tine goes faster that way.
Unless your caught in a slow group and then it becomes an issue cause you dont want to be that group. Thats the most uncomfy feeling and when one in the group is simply too slow it can be a situation where patience runs thin inside. because you may be aware your falling behind yet this person or two just doesnt adjust. Even if someone mentions that we need to catch up a bit , it simply doesnt register. i mean what can ya do?

I play a lot of solo rounds and am not crazy about playing through. So I hang back and observe what causes folks to play slowly. There is nothing scientific about this, but If I were to list worst to best on the inefficiency of groups that affects pace of play, it would be:

1. 2nd or 3rd shots (by a wide margin)
2. Tee shots
3. chips
4. putting

Even slow groups once on the green, generally get through pretty quickly. Not saying folks can't improve, and there are certainly those rare groups that seem to be dragging ass on purpose. But even the fastest of players seem to practice etiquette, take a few seconds more to read greens, watch a partner's putt to get a read around the hole... etc. No one I play with picks up and marks their ball unless it's in someone else's line. Most play ready golf, meaning we will putt out or pick up when it makes sense. When the course is crowded, we can put in another gear and move even faster. From what I've witnessed, many groups will do this when someone is behind them.

The point is, greens rarely seems like the bottleneck in my world.

Thats the most uncomfy feeling and when one in the group is simply too slow it can be a situation where patience runs thin inside.

Agreed. Being in a group with one person holding up everyone sucks. I've had that guy ask me why I'm always in such a hurry. Lol. I've been known to tell my playing partners "there's a group catching up to us, we have to pick up the pace".

Back