When to replace a club

I just replaced my maybe 20-year-old three wood. The grip was shot. I got last year's model Tour Exotics Refurbished EXS for $140 and It Rocks. I played the whole round off the tee with it for a test run. The New tech is better, no doubt.

I have no rhyme or reason to replacing my clubs except my wedges. I generally replace my wedges every season. I'll replace a driver when it starts not fulfilling it's purpose of hitting long shots into the fairway. It's gotta be the clubs fault not mine right?! So I start looking for a new one.

I have no rhyme or reason to replacing my clubs except my wedges. I generally replace my wedges every season. I'll replace a driver when it starts not fulfilling it's purpose of hitting long shots into the fairway. It's gotta be the clubs fault not mine right?! So I start looking for a new one.

Assuming the club was "able" to hit long shots into the fairway at any given time, unless the club was damaged isn't it safe to say if it stopped hitting shots into the fairway it's the swing's fault? Nevermind. I think that's what you were saying.

I went through that "impulse buying" phase when I was much younger. I was always getting reeled in to buy the next stroke saving club, or gadget. Then it finally dawned on that I was the one losing strokes, not my clubs. I haven't "impulsed" purchased anything golf related in 35+/- years.

I have had to replace a few clubs over the years. All were due to accidental damage, and never due a temper melt down.

A car door injured my 20 year putter which couldn't be repaired. A guy on the short game practice area ran over my bag of clubs with his golf cart. Messed up a couple of irons. My bag fell off the back of the golf cart, and a broken metal wood was the result. Stuff like this.

I like to think I buy quality, fitted equipment, that will last quite awhile under normal wear, and tear. About all I buy these days, that is related to clubs, is grip replacements.

I ended up buying a new driver almost a year ago because of how great I hit it on the simulator. Brought it home and it rarely missed a fairway for 3 months. Then it went the same way the first one went, unreliable, and I have rarely been using it. Of course I know the real problem is the nut on the end of the shaft. I tried changing the loft, I tried changing my setup etc., then my instructor said he likes the setting I have on it for flight, launch etc and don't change it but as soon as I get on the course it's like the nut comes loose on it again. Now I've got my eye on a new set of irons, not sure why as I hit them well but did try the newer model of the same irons last season and it felt so good, lol

I ended up buying a new driver almost a year ago because of how great I hit it on the simulator. Brought it home and it rarely missed a fairway for 3 months. Then it went the same way the first one went, unreliable, and I have rarely been using it. Of course I know the real problem is the nut on the end of the shaft. I tried changing the loft, I tried changing my setup etc., then my instructor said he likes the setting I have on it for flight, launch etc and don't change it but as soon as I get on the course it's like the nut comes loose on it again. Now I've got my eye on a new set of irons, not sure why as I hit them well but did try the newer model of the same irons last season and it felt so good, lol

It's a never ending cycle!

I am a club Ho, so I change pretty often.o_O

When the club stops listening to you, it’s time to say goodbye. Seriously, whenever you feel that a different club will benefit your game.

I want to be an equipment geek who frequently changes clubs simply for the enjoyment of playing different options. I am more likely to be one who plays the same clubs for long periods of time.

When the club stops listening to you, it’s time to say goodbye. Seriously, whenever you feel that a different club will benefit your game.
Question is, though...is it the club that's not listening, or the ball? :unsure:

[ETA:] If you're just looking for justification to replace a club, ignore the above and carry on - it's most definitely the club! :LOL:

Assuming the club was "able" to hit long shots into the fairway at any given time, unless the club was damaged isn't it safe to say if it stopped hitting shots into the fairway it's the swing's fault? Nevermind. I think that's what you were saying.
Yup....That's what I was saying. Sarcasm is hard to put in writing. I know it's my fault, but I just don't want to accept blame, so I assign it to the driver and replace it.

When I see the club I want on the use door club rack at my local golf store or online.

I have heard people talk about replacing wedges because the faces are beat up and they don't have good grooves. Is this legit? And if so, how often are you guys getting new wedges? I have had the same 56 and 60 for a long time.

I have heard people talk about replacing wedges because the faces are beat up and they don't have good grooves. Is this legit? And if so, how often are you guys getting new wedges? I have had the same 56 and 60 for a long time.

I think that depends on how often one plays and/or practices and how good they are which influences their ability to get a higher % of performance out of those grooves. A beginner, on their best strike, might only get getting 25% of the total performance out of a wedge. SO, they're not going to notice the wear as easily as a higher skilled player. I've heard that Tiger gets new wedges every week (I think that's right). I'm sure many pros replace them several times each year. I think 2 years might be pushing it for me, but 1 year would likely be a little soon.

I think it's just when I feel like there's a possibility of more/better out there.

Probably boredom a little bit, too. New or different is always fun.

I think that depends on how often one plays and/or practices and how good they are which influences their ability to get a higher % of performance out of those grooves. A beginner, on their best strike, might only get getting 25% of the total performance out of a wedge. SO, they're not going to notice the wear as easily as a higher skilled player. I've heard that Tiger gets new wedges every week (I think that's right). I'm sure many pros replace them several times each year. I think 2 years might be pushing it for me, but 1 year would likely be a little soon.

Wow, new wedges every week seems crazy. But that makes sense. Every 5 years probably seems right for me. I am almost due :cool:

I would say if its a wedge, about every 2 years or when the grooves start to look worn. If its a driver, Id say every 5 years. The thinking is that after 5 years, club technology has advanced to where theres enough of a benefit to upgrade.
With fairway woods, hybrids or irons; I dont think there ever is a time when its time to replace them. I dont think that FWs or hybrids have really improved much over the last 10 years to where theres a signifigant difference in distance or forgivness.
With irons, really they never wear out. Even with soft, forged irons; you could play a set for 30 years and not really wear the grooves out. Ive got a couple sets of vintage irons, one from the '30s, another from the '60s and yet another from the '80s that are well-worn and have decades of use but still work just as well as my modern irons do.

I dont think that FWs or hybrids have really improved much over the last 10 years to where theres a signifigant difference in distance or forgivness.

Im sure there are quite a few here that'd be willing to bet against that supposition.

When all the grooves are gone ;). I have all new irons this year after I bought a groove tool to work on my old irons and found no grooves in some of them to work on haha. Also my strong 3 wood quit working for me, so I switched that one out.

Im sure there are quite a few here that'd be willing to bet against that supposition.
Perhaps. Theres lots of tour pros who never upgrade their FWs who would bet with me though. Didnt Tiger until he broke it have a 7-wood that was like 15 years old?

Perhaps. Theres lots of tour pros who never upgrade their FWs who would bet with me though. Didnt Tiger until he broke it have a 7-wood that was like 15 years old?
I could be wrong, but I doubt that forgiveness matters anywhere near as much to a tour pro as it does to most amateurs.

Back