When You Need to Chip

Your leave requires a good chip to get up and down. You feel...

• Excited

• Hopeful

• Apprehensive

• Prayerful

• Terrified

Results are only viewable after voting.
I really need three options for this shot... ;)

Or, "all of the above?" :ROFLMAO:

Excited, because I love chipping and it's the part of my game I've seen the biggest improvement in this year.

After a many year layoff from golf, regaining my short game has been the hardest thing I’ve tried to do. I’ve spent more time practicing my chipping than anything else. I bought my first 60* wedge and struggled with it. I then bought a 56* wedge and things have improved a lot. Chipped in for a birdie the other day and I’m getting to the point where I expect to get up and down every time (even if don’t as often as I should). My confidence is going up just when my season is winding down.

Great feedback! I'm starting to see some themes in here too. How about you?

Hopeful and confident. I think I've got a pretty good short game and can get it close when needed to. (y)

I went with Hopeful. I always hope I will have a good shot!

I neglected my chipping and pitching game this year and they are the main reason that I didn't get back to single digits. I blamed a mid season slump in my game earlier, but after looking back, I can see that it was my pitching and chipping.

I can think of a dozen or so potential high 70's rounds that ended up low 80's just from mediocre chipping and putting.

There are a some guys that I play with around my age and older that are still very good players and use the Cleveland Smart Sole and Ray Cook Silver Ray chippers and are lights out with them. I was always of the mind set that chipping with irons was as good as a chipper so I never bothered using one. But after watching them every day and talking with them, I came away with a much different view. They like having the consistency and feel of one club, and the radius soles. I am a minimalist anyways in that I rarely ever carry more than 11-12 clubs anyways, so I'm looking to add one to my bag.

Last edited:
Depends on the chip and speed of the greens. Down in Florida where I am right now I’m excited to hit a chip shot as I know I can likely stop the ball somewhere near the hole and in fact I was 4 of 5 getting chip shots up and down on Friday. At my home course on a downhill chip l’m hopeful that I can stop it 20 feet below the hole.

Good to see there are no votes in the bottom two categories thus far!

I answered “excited” because this particular shot has been a recent focus toward improvement.

Good to go. That's my gameplan to try to get close in regulation. Then use my good skills to get it in the hole.

All of the above.

Me too. I get excited seeing the ball in good position. Hopeful when I walk up to it. Apprehensive when I set up. Prayerful when its in the air. Finally, terrified when I see where its going. :eek:

I’m never excited about a shot unless it’s a tap in putt for birdie or eagle.

I’m always positive and hopeful for every shot though.

chipping/pitching from say <90 yds usually gets me close. My putting needs work, so the closer the better. The biggest problem is reading the green.

I’m never excited about a shot unless it’s a tap in putt for birdie or eagle.

I’m always positive and hopeful for every shot though.
Doesn't 'excited' imply anticipation? A tap in is rewarding, but doesn't seem that exciting in and of itself.

I always try to be hopeful. However, I would say that chipping is the weakest aspect of my play.

Excited. I have worked hard on my short game over the last couple of years and I really enjoy a chipping challenge.

Doesn't 'excited' imply anticipation? A tap in is rewarding, but doesn't seem that exciting in and of itself.
I’m not much for chance. I’m more excited about a sure thing than I am about a possibility.

I guess some of that excitement could be more about the result of the previous shot that got me there.

Neutral.

Lots of interesting statements in the comments section. One that made an impression on me is what was said about emotions when faced with a chip. There seemed to be two camps. Some of you talked about the emotion (or emotions) that wells up when faced with this circumstance. Some talked about evoking an emotion (a positive one) in an attempt to improve your outcome.

That's certainly worth considering.

Emotions certainly can impact outcome, especially with chips. Changes in tension, tempo, or speed can so easily be influenced by our emotional state.

There's lots more good stuff in the comments. What did you see?

Hopeful. I always feel hopeful because I know that if I hit a good chip, I can chip it close. Carrying and using a chipper helps because it does make chipping easier.
If I didnt have a chipper, Id probably feel terrified. LOL

Excited. I have worked hard on my short game over the last couple of years and I really enjoy a chipping challenge.
I enjoy the challenge too - and since my scores don't matter to anybody but me, it's actually more fun to have something challenging like a downhill lie in the rough to a short-sided pin than it is to have a basic, flat bump and run. I'm definitely no short game wizard knocking everything to tap-in distance, but I can at least get most of them on the green and heading in the right direction.

I play a course with very small greens (they’re broke) so chipping is key.

I feel better 5 feet off the green with a wedge than I do on the fringe with a putter.

There’s a drill I do often that helps: take 5 balls just off the chipping green and try to get up/down with all 5. Repeat until you succeed.

Back