When your swing goes suddenly wrong

Tenputt

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 5.4
When your swing seems to suddenly go in the crapper, how long does it usually take you to diagnose the issue? How do you go about identifying the problem and fixing it?

Happened to me my very first year of playing. Spent some time trying to figure it out. Never did. Pretty quickly decided that, since my swing had been a fragile thing that I'd gotten kinda right more by accident than design, I gave up and embarked upon a program to completely rebuild it from scratch.

If (?) it happens again in the future I imagine I'll approach it the same way I am training now: Mirror and video work?

When my swing goes bad, I try to go back to basics. Set up, grip, slow take away, rotate, keep eye on ball.

I'm in this phase atm.

Part of me leans to it just being golf. Ebs and flows of a really difficult game. Sometimes I think it can simply be a matter of focus and a simple, confidence inspiring swing thought/focus point.

I take a few days without picking up a club, then come back and start over. I take a few light swings, and work my way back up to a full swing making sure to try the swing thoughts I was using before things went south. No panic, I don’t do anything drastic, I trust myself that the bad things that happened were just a fluke. For me, that’s usually all it takes.

Currently living this.
Usually more play tends to get me sorted out. I've not gotten out much this year as the kids are in sports and that's kind of taken over. hoping to start playing a few times a week as we hit late summer/fall and I'm hopeful that will get the swing back in order

I was having a great round yesterday and randomly couldn't remember how to swing for holes 16 and 17, leading to a +3 and +2 when I was +2 between the previous 6 holes. Kind of figured it out on hole 18, but it's amazing that "it" can just disappear in the middle of a round.

I also picked up a swing fault in year 2 that took me almost a full season to shake, even with 2 or 3 lessons.

I don't know how to diagnose, tbh. I usually keep playing until it starts to feel right again.

When mine goes sideways, I slow it down to 75 percent or so and get the groove back, then take it back from there

When I've been there before and have been able to "fix" it myself, I've gone back to swinging at what I think is about 50%. I don't shorten my swing, I work on decreasing effort and then building back slowly. If that doesn't work, I take some time off, give it a shot again, and then call my instructor if it persists.

Usually takes 4 or 5 holes to correct if I'm not rushed.

I keep a list of the various causes for poor ball flights in my bag. If I don't know the cause off hand, I will refer to this list if need be.

However, most of the time I just go back to my basics. If that doesn't work, I will find the club(s) that's working for me, and finish the round up using it, or them.

The two fixes I use the majority of the time is checking my "one piece take away", and/or my "swing tempo".

Well....it depends on what the issue is. Some take longer than others haha

Literally going through this the last month and unfortunately with work, havent been able to play enough to figure it out.
Had a lesson that I am hoping begins to bring me back.

Usually I start with the basics, grip, alignment, takeaway and work on swinging a little slower and try to work out the kinks on the range. Sometimes I can get it fixed at the range but other times it has taken me a round or two to get back to my normal. Recent example prior to my last round i could hit my driver or irons without fade to slicing them, went to the range and figure out I was just way to armsy and no lower body movement and was just cutting across the ball. Worked on tempo and not being so armsy and using the hips and turn and it straightened it out for the most part. Yesterday took that to the course and not very many fade to slice shots and even had some draws in there which are not normal for me. We will see if it sticks.

When the swing goes bad, I'm big on taking time off. I'll take that time to practice putting and chipping. Also, I tend to play very well off layoffs.

Mine seems to come and go at will :ROFLMAO: Most of the time I just get through the round and the next round is ok. Must just be the way my brain works. I have no secret that repairs it during the round that I have found. I have tried things, but nothing seems to work at the time it occurs.

I start with alignment, ball position, reconfirm grip is correct then focus on tempo. If I am not aligned/setup correctly I can't hit the ball where I want to.

My swing went bad about 18 years ago when I developed a duck hook and it's still broken. I took one lesson to fix it, but it was more a band aid and it still rears it's ugly head often.

I use one of my other swings.

Almost always figure it out on the 17th hole. Not the 2nd or 5th or 11th, no, I wait all the way until the damn 17rh hole to finally find the little glitch that is throwing my swing off that day.

And it’s almost always a pre-swing/set up flaw.

I have a career of this, lol. Just recently, I started swinging with no ball at home. Really slow motion movement. I try to get on plane (try different feelings or body movements to achieve this) and have a good thought to engage the lower half on the downswing.

I think we all know what do to. Getting there is sooo hard!

It usually takes me until the first lost ball to realize my tempo is all out of whack.

I’m a walker and I’ve recently noticed that when my heart rate stays above 120 or so that’s when the problems start so hopefully I can recognize this before I put a ball 2 counties over.

Let you know when it's out of the crapper

My swing is simple, when I start hitting it sideways it's time for a week off. When I come back I try not to kill anything

This happens frequently and sometimes it takes getting through two buckets of balls to figure something out. And sometimes that something is… just stop hitting balls and go home.

Back