When your swing goes suddenly wrong

I don't think I've ever really figured out what goes wrong any more than know what I'm doing right when hitting everything long and straight. Even if I knew something about cause and effect with the golf swing, I'm not sure I could do much with that knowledge.

Last edited:
I feel like I'm improving at diagnosing issues. However, I took some steps backward this season as things went wrong with my swing, and it's taken weeks to progress. Hopefully now I'll continue on the right path.

man, I just have to work through it. If I'm on course and things have gone wonky, I'm usually either coming through wide ass open because of fanning my wrists on takeaway or I'm leaning into the swing instead of swinging and not turning. I can usually get somewhat back on track by just taking a sec to breath, refocus, and take a few practice swing really focusing on not doing those two things. not failsafe, but usually gets me keeping it more in play if I do that. It's tough though.

When your swing seems to suddenly go in the crapper, how long does it usually take you to diagnose the issue? How do you go about identifying the problem and fixing it?

i went from playing well saturday to a complete dumpster fire sunday...in part, due to the knee issue that's been popping up and i am trying to take pressure off of it. but this happens regardless of physical issues :LOL:...in those cases (a huge sample size), i just take a few+ days off and remember to slow down when i come back to the course. it doesn't always work initially but it sorts itself out and i go back to bad golf from terrible golf.

It always helps to plant your feet to the ground and watch the damned ball through impact. Those two things will usually correct/improve any type of mid-round swing problems.

Perfect timing on this thread. Playing my worst golf in at least the last several years and I can't figure out what's wrong. Everything just feels completely out of sync.

I’ll usually stop playing and go to the range for a few days to get everything sorted it. Usually the irons are what messes me up so I’ll just practice with my SW and then slowly work my way up to the other clubs

When your swing seems to suddenly go in the crapper, how long does it usually take you to diagnose the issue? How do you go about identifying the problem and fixing it?

I can identify it on the range and correct.

That took years to do.

I do know that the difference between a good swing and not so good is small. So if something happens, don't worry. Back off the range balls, think about it, reflect and refocus.

Stance, grip, posture and setup are far more important than we sometimes give credit. Make sure those are correct first.

Beyond that, the takeaway is critical. Good chance my problems start there.

I try and slow down tempo and get into a better sequence but it is difficult. This winter it is something I will be working on

Isn't the swing going to pot, just something we do and an important part of our game? We should simply understand that our swing will blow up and sometimes be hard to get it back? BTW if you guys find something that actually works, let me know please. :ROFLMAO:

In the past weeks or even months. Now I have a system I try to use to get me on track. I check my setup and then video my swings if it is still off. Generally I can see where I am way off at that point. If not it's a lesson or a long trudge ahead on the original timeline.

For me, every year, there is a period where I start hitting the club towards the heel, or even worse. It comes out of nowhere. I have seen multiple instructors and never gotten a good, quick fix. Sometimes, it has been so frustrating that I am ready to hang it up.

3 weeks ago, I shot a 67. I followed that up with a 74 on a difficult course. I am playing the best golf of my life, which didn’t seem possible at my age. Then, boom, the problem suddenly reared its ugly head on Saturday. I got around the course with bandaids and shot an 86. I have my state senior am qualifier tomorrow and I was feeling devastated.

Yesterday, I think I found the fix. All of this time it is in my takeaway and how I set my hands at the top, at least this is what I now believe. One swing thought brought back my good swing, time after time on the range. I could really go after the ball with confidence.

I hope it lasts through tomorrow, LOL.

Last edited:
Taking a step back, thinking about what the issue is and going back to basic drills seems to get me back on track. I will play with a bad swing but I will go into the round knowing things are off and try to get a better understanding of what is happening and not get mad or stress out. The round(s) become more of a playing lesson.

currently going through these struggles as well. have always been a good ball striker but have lost about a club and a half of distance since the first of the year. I feel the club opening up and I'm hitting the ball a lot higher but thus far I have not been able to consistently figure it out. That being said, I'm driving the ball and hitting my fairway woods better than I ever have. Just feels like a waste. Wedges are especially bad right now. Been through it before and it took a good while to get it straightened out. Hopefully it'll click soon. I can still shoot some good scores but I feel like I'm fighting it the entire round.

Sometimes i know right away, sometimes it takes a few rounds or buckets of balls. It's almost always something in the way I'm setting up to the ball or something in my preshot routing that gets me out of whack. To fix, I go through the basics, grip.. aim.. stance.. posture.. ball position.. take away.. something in there will get a little sloppy and throw it all out of sequence

I have grooved a back and through motion now so for me it's tempo if it goes south. Just being too fast before it's time to get fast.

An equally weird but more enjoyable phenomenon is when your swing suddenly just goes right for a few holes! Every now and then I play a few holes with long straight drives, hit the GIR and either birdie or tap in for par and wonder why people find this game so hard. And then the golfing gods reap their revenge on such misguided complacent naivety.

When my swing goes South, I just quit playing golf for a bit. By the time I get back to it, my swing is back mostly.

If I have an exceptionally bad ball striking round, I’ll hit the range afterwards until I can figure out what’s wrong. I’ll get back to basics, for me that means posture, grip, alignment, ball position, and tempo. I can usually fix it in one range session but sometimes it takes 200 plus balls. Fortunately it’s only happened once this season.

It depends on what is off but if I'm not stubborn and get the swing on video I can usually see what is going wrong

Most of the year I had my driver going well. Last couple weeks I lost distance and accuracy and have not been hitting it like I was or how I should be. League yesterday and the night before thinking about it I thought of a change I made in my grip a few weeks ago that at first I thought helped. Went back to what I had ben doing and hit some of my best drives of the year yesterday. I thought it was ball position or alignment and wa s focusing on that and it did not occur to me it was the slight adjustment I made to my grip. Don't know why it finally came to me but im glad it did super frustrating.

On the next tee, I might take a few swings with my 7i to review my personal fundamentals--tempo, ball position, hands leading the clubhead through impact. That usually does it.

Driver has been starting hot then going to complete crap. I need to sort that out!

First thing is ignoring a few bad shots as a swing flaw. You end up chasing “problems” by creating new ones.

Rule 1: Start at the start.

Back