Where and with who do you take lessons?

Jman

Golf Scrivener
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Curious here, for those taking lessons, who is your instructor and where out of?

All my lessons have been with Sonny.

Being in a small town, really good instruction is tough to come by. I’ve had a few sessions with a retired Toski staff instructor and had some good results but he is more of a band aid guy.

Rob Akins at Spring Creek Ranch just outside Memphis (hour away) and VJ Trolio at Old Wavery in West Point, MS (90 minutes) are the best instructors nearest to me. The distance to them is tough but I was seriously considering trying them until th3 knee rapidly worsened.

I know this is a US oriented thread but I'll give a shout out to Sam at the South Winchester Golf Club in the UK. Three lessons so far and I really like his way of teaching. Easy going, encouraging and clear at explaining.

Eisman Golf Academy in the Northern Virginia area came highly recommended to me by my fitter so I've gotten 3 lessons with them thus far and will get more in the future.

Jacob Mast. His father Dick Mast is a former PGA Tour player. Really good people both. His father also occasionally will work with me when he sees me on the range. Jacob is the head golf professional at Poplar Grove Golf Course in Amherst, VA.

Taylor Riggin of Crown Golf in Arlington, Texas. Good guy & we seem to be making progress.

• Staff
Little bump ;)

Kyle Morris The Golf Room in Dublin Ohio or Jared Shears in Cincinnati Ohio

I should get lessons but rarely ever do. I have a nasty habit of grinding it out.

Today I randomly asked my local head pro how to sort a pull draw (my current bane) and he stopped and gave me some good things to think about and work on.

I took lessons from Jack Carter at Stonecreek. https://www.stonecreekgc.com/programs/golf-instruction

I enjoyed his approach to instruction. Observing my faults , then find a language that we understood to build up to correcting them. Definitely not a swing by numbers guy.

For my next lessons, I’ll take a trip down to Tucson to visit the AZTHP golf whisperer. Laura at Sewailo.

Beau Rivage Golf & Resort
Colby Weiner

I booked a 2 hour intro lesson and assessment with Johnathan Moore, former NCAA individual champion and also OSU’ current S&C coach for both golf programs. Works out of Karsten, so that won’t suck. :LOL:

I go to golftec. Preston raeze is my guy. I had so many bad habits from a very long list of surgeries. Major help! So far it is like night and day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My last lesson was with Rick Kline who runs Sittler Golf, a driving range about 55 minutes away. He also does fittings and is very well reviewed. Lately I’ve considered getting a lesson package from a guy nearby to stay polished and make that next leap forward.

I haven’t really found a local pro that I am happy with access to. I have taken a couple from the pro at a local driving range and took one at the club I joined last summer.

Over the winter I started working with @TrueMotionMatt and Tim. I worked the setup and swing initiation steps hard in the early spring and have continued to work those. My swing has been pretty solid(I do have some things I know I need to fix to continue to improve) and I have stayed working those things and not really moved on yet. I am in playing season through early August so I may not move on much until then.

I have enjoyed working with True Motion. I find the access to the guys very good and so far I feel it has helped.

Chris Capriolo at Cappy's in Westlake (Cleveland suburb) until the Covid hit and he disappeared on me. Tried sending a few texts, but didn't hear back. Up until then, had been seeing him on the regular and it did definitely help.

I work with Josh Bevell with Profectus Golf at Gaylord Springs. Been a regular for about a year and a half and he’s been instrumental in me shooting lower and developing a far more consistent swing. Complete rebuild but been far worth it.

I work with Shawn Clement when he comes to town or conducts a clinic within driving distance, but when I need a local lesson I go to Ben Pellicani at Westhaven Golf Club.

Started taking my first lessons ever with Tim Hart at del mar golf center in San Diego. He is awesome and is really helping me a lot the first few lessons. Going back soon to work on short game.

Lesson is tomorrow. It’s supposed to rain but since it’s at Karsten I’m hoping it’s moved to their bays with garage doors to the range.

Im anxious, and scared to death. I’ve never ever been this lost in my golf game before.

About to start, annnnnnnnnnd I’m nervous as hell, THAT is how broken my swing has been.

Back