where are the par 6 holes ?

DG_1234

Reaction score
Handicap
The recent "longest par 5 you've played" thread has me thinking about par 6 holes. I've only played one, the 650 yard 18th at Lake Chabot GC, Oakland, Ca.
If you've played a par 6 hole and , or, know of one, please post to this thread the hole number , name and location of the golf course.

Another question I have is why par 6 holes are not more common ?
I understand that a par 6 is unconventional, but from a business perspective, having a par 6 might be a novelty that can be used for course advertising/marketing.

There was one in Lavalette, WV. It was I think 750 yards from the back but they apparently moved up the tees and changed it to a par 5. I haven't been down there for a while. The first shot area was mud most of the time and they had the tees way up anyway. Putting for double eagle makes one feel a bit foolish.

You don't see them because they are really boring if they are long enough to require four full shots, and absurd when they are too short.

You don't see them because they are really boring if they are long enough to require four full shots, and absurd when they are too short.

Good points, thank you.

There's one at The Links in Post Falls, Idaho. I played it from the second tee box at 640 yards but the tips is labeled as 777 yards! It was an interesting hole to play to say the least. I did par it in case you're wondering.

Have only played the Lake Chabot one and Par 6's aren't more common most likely is because they seem gimmicky.

Courses tend to use the 10/4/4 (5/2/2 per 9) for a Par 72 setup so you would need to eliminate that extra stroke somewhere

Have only played the Lake Chabot one and Par 6's aren't more common most likely is because they seem gimmicky.

Courses tend to use the 10/4/4 (5/2/2 per 9) for a Par 72 setup so you would need to eliminate that extra stroke somewhere

I'd be all for eliminating 2 par 4's to make up for it. I think (I'd have to put a little more thought into it) that might help reduce the total area needed for the course, too.

Only one I’ve played is Farmstead Golf Course is Calabash, NC. They definitely advertise it.

7EBD9879-E8EC-447F-80F1-BF09B5E257A9.jpegWe just played Farmstead last week, and had a great time. Luckily we had a club member with us, so he detailed every hole for us. The 18th is the par 6, 767 from the black. The only disappointment was they had nothing in the pro shop for sale that stated “Home of the famous par 6”. My wife as the cashier why not, and he said we just don’t. Ok, I guess?

Lake Chabot has nine par 4's, five par 3's, three par 5's, and one par 6, making for a par 71.

The recently defunct Turquoise Valley GC in Naco, AZ had a par 6 called the Rattler:

You are basically going to have 1 or 2 just totally boring shots unless the land is interesting. I guess on a perfect par 6 theoretically could be interesting. You could really build a multiple risk reward shots with something like a tough multiple line tee shot. If you take the tough line then you are offered a risky shot that gets you a slightly short third where the safe line leaves you with a super risky shot to the green or an easy lay up but a bad angle in. Fairly convoluted to type out but in my head it works.

Only issue is it would look like a tricked out video game hole

The one and only par 6 I've played is 650 yards downhill, at some points severely sloping downhill, with the final 150 yards uphill to a very small, extremely sloped green.
Low handicap players usually getthe ball near the green in 3 and then the challenge is getting up and down to make a birdie 5. Easy hole to par but the severity of the green makes birdie a challenge.

Black Diamond, in Millersberg, Ohio. Overall, a brutally tough course as well.

I go over to Spain regularly with my old man to play, and there's a course near Malaga that has a par 5 of over 600 yards from the regular tees. Is an absolute brute with bunkers in the fairway and a big tree right at the top of a hill right in driver distance off the tee. Big lake to the right of the green as well. Great fun to play but can be a complete score wrecker.

I've known about Sun Valley and their 720 yd Par 6 for a while but it never really stirred my interest. I met some dudes at the bar last week who bragged about what a beautiful course it is, no houses, no highways, no crowds. The Par 6 doesn't really do much for me but the other qualities have put this back on my radar.

Link to Sun Valley

The Marina Bay course in Singapore has a 651 yard par 6. And the Hamptworth course in Salisbury, England has a 666 yard par 6.

Back