Where are we on strong lofts?

My gaps are roughly the same as they have been between clubs as they were 15 years ago, despite the lofts being completely different. I don't understand how a different loft setup causes you to be between clubs more often unless the gaps get bigger between clubs, which I haven't seen.

The gaps are the same, just different labels stamped on the irons. My first 9iron and PW were 46* and 50*. We now call those PW and GW. In fact many of today’s Pitching wedges have less loft than my old 46* 9 iron.

As some have stated, it is simply a number on the bottom of the club. That said, no longer can you ask someone what they hit on a particular shot as the lofts of the same club could be a two club difference from yours.

Today's strong lofted irons are nearly two clubs longer than the irons of 10 years ago. So, a player who is accustomed to playing a 7-iron from 150 yards with his older irons , with his new set may be swinging a 9-iron.
I'm a club longer than I was 10 years ago. But, I think I'm just plain old longer than I was then. I honestly don't buy into it just being straight up marketing BS. When I get to 6 iron and above, I'm not noticing the ball launching lower. I couldn't hit a 2 iron 10 years ago. But I can hit a 3 iron now.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I say loft meaningless. Once good enough, just pick the distances you want and make sure your irons match that.

PS love your handicap.

I agree with peak height, spin...or if you can drop n stop (birdies). The Golf Mechanic recommended my Yonex Ezone MB's, they are higher CG so my lofts are weak or close to the Scotland loft n lie standard (old skool). I went to X100 XP's in my mid irons to get the spin & height and can just hold a 5i in for my 1/2 century / 103 SS. FWIW 3, 4i 3 deg weak ;)

As some have stated, it is simply a number on the bottom of the club. That said, no longer can you ask someone what they hit on a particular shot as the lofts of the same club could be a two club difference from yours.

So true. Before I changed clubs none of my buddies asked what I was hitting on par 3's as I was always 2-3 clubs bigger than their huge shovels.

I don't like them because I need the extra spin.

I agree with your comment about spin. Several months ago I purchased a set of G700 irons, which have strong lofts. I think Ping claims that (for this iron model), spin needed to be reduced or shots would fly too high.
After playing the irons for approximately 30 rounds of golf, my observation is that the G700's produce long carry medium trajectory shots with relatively little spin. So, I've found the benefit to these irons is long distance, even on mishit shots. The negative to these irons is carry distance precise control is not as good as with traditional loft irons.

Not to hijack the thread but it is relevant - has anyone ever tried asking an OEM or club fitting outlet to order a set of irons WITHOUT the iron number engraved in the clubhead? With the intention obviously being to then number the clubs yourself. For example, you could order a set 4-pw with blank heads, only to stamp them 3-9. This way you don’t have to carry a 60, 56, 52, 48, and PW

Not to hijack the thread but it is relevant - has anyone ever tried asking an OEM or club fitting outlet to order a set of irons WITHOUT the iron number engraved in the clubhead? With the intention obviously being to then number the clubs yourself. For example, you could order a set 4-pw with blank heads, only to stamp them 3-9. This way you don’t have to carry a 60, 56, 52, 48, and PW

I’d imagine you wouldn’t have much luck. Might have some chance with forged clubs, but would need a fair lead time because would need to come factory custom, not just warehouse custom.

Loft and distance, as it relates to stronger lofts, only means that I may have to readjust the bottom of my bag (as I had to do with my CF-16's).

For me, I'll play whatever works, how far a club goes doesn't matter at all to me as I just need to know "how far?" exactly. I'll adjust the top or bottom of the bag as needed, depending upon result.

A few weeks ago, I played with a really good player. On a par 3, I hit a really solid 8-iron close to a 175 yard pin (breeze assisted). He asked what club I hit and I said, "7. It says 8 on my club but it's a 7 on yours."

He laughed and said, "finally, someone gets it!"

It was all in good fun as neither he nor I care what others hit nor distance claimed. It was just an acknowledgement of technological advancement and variance, is all.

Loft and distance, as it relates to stronger lofts, only means that I may have to readjust the bottom of my bag (as I had to do with my CF-16's).

For me, I'll play whatever works, how far a club goes doesn't matter at all to me as I just need to know "how far?" exactly. I'll adjust the top or bottom of the bag as needed, depending upon result.

A few weeks ago, I played with a really good player. On a par 3, I hit a really solid 8-iron close to a 175 yard pin (breeze assisted). He asked what club I hit and I said, "7. It says 8 on my club but it's a 7 on yours."

He laughed and said, "finally, someone gets it!"

It was all in good fun as neither he nor I care what others hit nor distance claimed. It was just an acknowledgement of technological advancement and variance, is all.

When a playing partner asks what club I hit I say, "My 145 club" for that reason. Unless it's one of the couple of guys who I play with often enough to know they hit their irons almost exactly the same distance as me.

There's one of them who has like 10 strokes better handicap than I do and is just all around a better player. His yardages with everything from GW up through 6-iron (his longest iron) are precisely the same as my yardages. But he hits his driver like 10-15 yards shorter than me, mostly because he reverse-pivots and uppercuts the driver sky high. He never gets an inch of roll, just straight up and straight down about 195 yards.

The funny thing is he always refers to me as a "bigger hitter" than himself. When the only difference in our distances through the entire bag is the 20 yards of rollout I get with my driver.

Golf seems to have become a "how far" game and not a "how many" game. The ultimate arbiter is the scorecard, and it doesn't give a s... what clubs you play, what the lofts are, whether you use iron head covers, or what have you, lol.

prob with a cavity head with low CG...lol...that's 1/2in longer with the higher number on it

Back