Where Did You Play Today?

Got to play at the awesome Polo Trace Golf Club today in Delray Beach, FL. Had a blast though I shot a very polarizing round.

The challenging course had me scratching my head at certain shots and impressed with myself on others.

This is a must play for anyone in the area. $49 summer rate whereas $150 is what you can expect during season. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374449863.636124.jpg
This is a GORGEOUS but challenging par 3 that didn't go so well today lol.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374449910.719001.jpg
This was the opening hole just before 9 am
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374449934.794765.jpg
This is what you see when you approach amen alley (3 back to back to back par 5s)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374449979.535800.jpg
And finally some awesome tee boxes :)

Had a blast and would go back ASAP to try and redeem myself lol.

Tappin' away on my iPhone.

I played Cedar Glen in a golf outing today, 4 person scramble. We have had a lot of rain the last few days and this course must have the worst drainage of any course ever made. There was standing water everywhere. They even had the 15th hole closed so you could not play it. But we had a lot of fun and played some decent golf, finishing at -7. The winners finished at -14 which means that they birdied every hole but 3 of them because of the one hole closed. They must be pretty damn good or they can fill out there score card really good. But anyway, we had a great time, drank some beers and hit some good shots.

Played the Chiefland Golf and "Country" Club in Chiefland FL. I recently moved to Gainesville FL and was looking for courses to play. This was a small place in the middle of no-where. The T-boxes were bare and uneven. You had to find an even place to stand, sometimes 5 feet or so back from the tee markers. The fairways were decent but the greens were horrible, with sand and what looked like actual divots on some. We played 9 and left. It was that bad. Will not be going back to this place.

Played Harborside International's Starboard course today. It was really nice course, greens were fast but in great condition, and I liked the links course feel. The clubhouse was awesome and I would definitely recommend this or their Port course.

I had the opportunity to play San Jose Country Club in Jacksonville yesterday and it was amazing! Donald Ross design, opened back in1925.
18th Hole tee box
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374498926.080092.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374498961.091941.jpg
Range view
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374498982.707539.jpg
Practice green
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374499014.235253.jpg

Tappin my iPhone5

Nettle Creek Country Club - Morris, IL

http://www.nettlecreek.com/index.htm
header1.jpg

Neat layout. They call it links style, but I'd disagree. A number of the holes are bordered by forest and it's really nothing at all like a links layout. The hole in the picture was a tough one. Very cool, snaky hole with water all around the landing area. A good mix of risk reward holes and some longer ones. Used just about every club I had.

Nice practice area. A great range, huge putting green, and a short game area with a big bunker.

Condition was blah. Lots of dead spots in the fairways. Some of the greens were chewed up, with both ball mark issues and some dead spots around the edges. 18th fairway was roped off and had these big black streaks on it? That was new to me. Sand was like talcum powder in spots and very firm in others.

Service was subpar as well. We were trapped behind a couple slow groups. Had just waited five minutes on the box to tee off and the ranger told us to speed it up. We of course told him to go to hell. No water on the course and the cart girl was nowhere to be found. Was given a rate over the phone, but not advised that I needed a coupon for it. That got sorted out, but it annoyed me. Overpriced. We paid $45, which is $7 less than full price and I thought it was too much at that. Maybe in good condition and with GPS carts it would be worth that.

Like I said, cool layout but I won't be going back.

Bowes Creek - Elgin, Illinois

Played this course on Sunday. Beautiful weather and a great golf course. The course has only been open around 3 years. Built on old farm property. Bent grass tees and fairways. Plenty of elevation changes. 18 holes played in 4:15 as a foursome. Two of us walked. There was some distance between green a next tee on two holes. Other than that very walkable. Played the blue tees which slope out at 137. I have absolutely nothing negative to say about this course. All the people that we came in contact with at Bowes Creek were very friendly and wanted us to enjoy our day. Senior rate was $74, Regular Rate was $90. Included carts and unlimited practice on range, chipping areas and practice bunkers.

Course conditions were excellent for such a new course. Greens were semi-fast, probably an 11. If you're on the west side of Chicago you need to give this course a try.

It was yesterday but got to play the Lake course at the Olympic Club. It positively beat me up, but man is it beautiful. Greens were almost impossible to read since they had so many different little tricks to them, and the rough was crazy grabby. Still, it was a crazy amount of fun. No. 16 was about 660 yards, which was my favorite hole of the day since I somehow ended up with a par there.

Played at Shuksan Golf Club outside of Bellingham, WA on Saturday. A beautiful parkland type layout in the hill country below the North Cascades. Several extremely elevated tees and greens, lots of small, strategically placed water hazards all around. The green complexes are severely punitive as well on several holes - the land contours cause richochets into hazards in several places if you miss the green that in the best case, make for an awkward and difficult chip. Paid an extremely reasonable $25 super sunset rate to walk, but with all the elevation change it is most definitely a difficult walk. Pace of play was excellent I might add - finished in under 4 hours with a stop at the restroom/snack bar. As far as score, I had a frustrating 91 - my putting killed me, as did an ugly 9 on the difficult finishing par 5. Now that I am more familiar with the green contours, I expect to play better on my next visit - which will be soon! I'd recommend the course to anyone in the area, but I've heard it gets almost unmanageably wet in the winter due to iffy drainage (it's in a valley), so play it late spring/summer/fall.

View from the elevated first tee:

golfcourse547.jpg

Mt Baker views on the par 3 #11:

golfcourse549.jpg

Clubhouse perched on the hillside:

22530698.jpg

Pretty course SkiBum.

It really was - I'm very much looking forward to returning, since it's only about 20 mins from home. Plus I need revenge on the greens haha

Played at Shuksan Golf Club outside of Bellingham, WA on Saturday. A beautiful parkland type layout in the hill country below the North Cascades. Several extremely elevated tees and greens, lots of small, strategically placed water hazards all around. The green complexes are severely punitive as well on several holes - the land contours cause richochets into hazards in several places if you miss the green that in the best case, make for an awkward and difficult chip. Paid an extremely reasonable $25 super sunset rate to walk, but with all the elevation change it is most definitely a difficult walk. Pace of play was excellent I might add - finished in under 4 hours with a stop at the restroom/snack bar. As far as score, I had a frustrating 91 - my putting killed me, as did an ugly 9 on the difficult finishing par 5. Now that I am more familiar with the green contours, I expect to play better on my next visit - which will be soon! I'd recommend the course to anyone in the area, but I've heard it gets almost unmanageably wet in the winter due to iffy drainage (it's in a valley), so play it late spring/summer/fall.

View from the elevated first tee:

golfcourse547.jpg

Mt Baker views on the par 3 #11:

golfcourse549.jpg

Clubhouse perched on the hillside:

22530698.jpg

love pac nw golf

One of North Carolina's finest today, Old North State Club, with fellow THPer ncsalesman. This private Fazio gem is one of my favorite tracks anywhere, but luckily is only a half hour down the road. I could play this one every day from here on and never long for another course at all.
www.oldnorthstateclub.com

It was overcast today so not many pictures were taken, but the three finishing holes below are as good as they get.
y9ytuby9.jpg

That looks sweet Jlit

One of North Carolina's finest today, Old North State Club, with fellow THPer ncsalesman. This private Fazio gem is one of my favorite tracks anywhere, but luckily is only a half hour down the road. I could play this one every day from here on and never long for another course at all.

It was overcast today so not many pictures were taken, but the three finishing holes below are as good as they get.
y9ytuby9.jpg

18 looks like a beast there.

It's actually more tame than it looks. From the greens, it's 300 to the corner and 200 from there to get home. I hit a good tee ball in the 275 range and had 219 to get home. I did bail a little right on the approach, wanted to draw it, but it flew straight, and was left with a 30 yard pitch that I got up and down for birdie.

Great looking course, Ski Bum. I'm Tahoebum, and a long time die-hard skier. I grew up skiing 125 days each year and now with 3 kids and a real job still manage to get 40-50 ski days in each year in the Lake Tahoe area. Maybe we need to start a thread for skiers!:act-up:

Played the back 9 at Picatinny Arsenal Golf Club for league. This year with all the rain the fairways are all chewed up and the greens freshly aerated.

Legends - Heathland course in Myrtle Beach. Wide open, not too much trouble. Played very long though with all the recent rain. Still, just what i needed after a long layoff.

Legends - Heathland course in Myrtle Beach. Wide open, not too much trouble. Played very long though with all the recent rain. Still, just what i needed after a long layoff.

I love the Legends courses

y9ytuby9.jpg

JLit's avatar is also the approach on 16 on this course. In great shape yesterday and we seemed to be the only people on the 3rd ranked course in the state. No complaints at all. Great day all around.

Great Rock Golf Club in Wading River. This course plays to my style really well. Its a shorter course but it has some nice holes. Its considred a "mountain course", I use this term lightly seeing as its on Long Island but there are several elevated tees.
Here is a picture of the 10th green including the rock where the course gets its name from. The rock was actually under one of the greens when they were building the course.
g2_12_9green.jpg

Back