Where does EACH OEM fall short?

-CRW-

Reaction score
We had a ”Where does your favorite brand fall short?” thread, but I’d rather know where each OEM falls short.

Titleist - woods. They are finally catching up, but still leave a few things to be desired like moveable weights other than swapping the position of two or flipping a core.

Bridgestone - everything but their golf balls. Just go back to the J15 MB/CB and tweak from there...

Cobra - woods/hybrids/irons, woods spin too much and are too draw biased in stock settings. Make a true players club option...irons are just ugly and it looks like their primary audience are 8-10 year olds. The little kids in our clubs junior programs like bright colors, but I never see adults with Cobra products.

Callaway - just the stock color options. They have a ton of quality products that just look ugly to me. I’m cool with them offering orange and green, etc., but I don’t think those should be stock options. The ball was a big problem but maybe that is going to be resolved this year.

There is more I could say about other brands, but that’s enough text for one post.

Ping and wedges. This one has always baffled me considering how good their irons are.

Ping and wedges. This one has always baffled me considering how good their irons are.
That’s an interesting one to me, because they seem to be ahead of just about everyone when it comes to spin retention in wet conditions with a wedge.

I just think they could use more bounce/grind options. But, I also wonder if we are just comparing every OEM to Vokey when it may not be reasonable for them to try and offer as many options as Vokey.

Titleist - woods
Ping - agree with wedges
Callaway - balls
Taylormade - truss tho
Cobra - irons

Callaway, Taylormade, and Cobra are all the same issue to me - wedges. Maybe it's more that I just vastly prefer other brands, but I just find them to all be lacking something.

Cleveland/Srixon and Mizuno are similar to me - woods. Although I'll be personally checking out the new Mizuno woods be able to revisit this. I've also heard pretty solid things about the 785/585 drivers that I haven't been able to try yet.

Bridgestone - their issue was abandoning the J15 type line. That line was top to bottom fire. and then they dropped it and went in a strange direction. Made no sense to me in the slightest.

PXG - price and image

Honma - availability

Wilson - just about everything IMO is a step behind everyone else. Whether that is fair or not, they just don't seem as good as everyone else.

That’s an interesting one to me, because they seem to be ahead of just about everyone when it comes to spin retention in wet conditions with a wedge.

I just think they could use more bounce/grind options. But, I also wonder if we are just comparing every OEM to Vokey when it may not be reasonable for them to try and offer as many options as Vokey.

I ask myself this all the time. I'm a wedge guy like others are when it comes to collecting putters. I'll buy 5 to 8 a season. Different brands, bounce, shafts, you name it. Ping is always a head scratcher because the feel is real soft, but the feedback off the face just feels weird to me. That and you hit on the bounce/grind options, they certainly dont have the variety that others have. I don't want to toss the historical perception of Ping being a bit elitist with their gear, but it does slide into my mind that they're taking the "you don't need all those options, our gear is better the way it is".

...but it does slide into my mind that they're taking the "you don't need all those options, our gear is better the way it is".

I think that way about a lot of OEM's at times.

This, they have made up a ton of ground in the last say two years.

Mizuno with balls. Other than that, their new woods are awesome, their wedges greatly under-rated and the new putter line looks good.

Cobra obviously lack a ball option, as does Ping. But I would question the negativity around PIng's wedges - I actually have the Glide 2.0s in the bag and they perform the best for me.

Taylormade - Go back to innovating, not playing catchup

Cobra - Right track, just need to keep doing what you're doing and be patient

Ping - Everything.

Callaway - Hybrid is tough to find the happy blend of not too large to the eye, yet not too small that it doesn't perform the best out of different lies.

Callaway, Taylormade, and Cobra are all the same issue to me - wedges. Maybe it's more that I just vastly prefer other brands, but I just find them to all be lacking something.

Cleveland/Srixon and Mizuno are similar to me - woods. Although I'll be personally checking out the new Mizuno woods be able to revisit this. I've also heard pretty solid things about the 785/585 drivers that I haven't been able to try yet.

Bridgestone - their issue was abandoning the J15 type line. That line was top to bottom fire. and then they dropped it and went in a strange direction. Made no sense to me in the slightest.

PXG - price and image

Honma - availability

Wilson - just about everything IMO is a step behind everyone else. Whether that is fair or not, they just don't seem as good as everyone else.

I think Taylormade has improved in the wedge and iron game. I still think their irons were in a better place with the 2014 TP line, but I've been happy with their hi-toe wedges. I haven't tried the PM Grind from Callaway, but I like that they stepped outside of the box with that. While it is similar to the older Eye 2 wedges, it was a big improvement in looks and overall design in my opinion. And I don't care that TM basically copied the PM - they all copy each other.

I don't want to lump Cleveland/Srixon into the same basket. Cleveland has nothing of interest to me, including their wedges, but Srixon has a lot of potential. I'd like to see them reduce their v-grind/sole to maybe just a pre-worn edge like the Bridgestone J15 CB's had. I thought I'd never leave a v-sole after playing the Hogan PTX's, but my swing grew out of them and I prefer a smaller, traditional sole now.

PXG - I have no issue with their image, but I get why people do. Their Hero program is awesome and every other OEM should take note, even if it's just for prior gen equipment like PXG offers. Their price is dumb for regular customers, but they do make quality products. Their Gen 1/2 0311T irons have everything I looked for. The only way they would have been better is if they didn't have the screws. I want a soft, forged hollow/filled blade with a small profile and very little offset, but with the MB look - like the P790's or Ping I500's.

Bridgestone is exactly what I posted earlier. I think they tried with the Tour B line, but they looked terrible to me and did nothing IMO to bring back the J15 fans.

Honma - It's too early for me to really judge them fairly, but I already don't like their idea that they've decided what shaft(s) should pair with their equipment. That is foolish IMO.

Wilson - I agree. I feel bad for them because I think they try hard, but just haven't had a true hit yet. I'm not sure they'll ever escape the "cheap" reputation due to their boxed sets that were so prevalent at sporting good stores. They probably should never use the full name on any of their equipment and just stick with "W/S". They need to drop the outdated gold colors they still have on some of their items. They do seem to be moving in the right direction lately though. They need more custom options and a website/ordering process that is easier to navigate. Basically, they should look at what all the other big OEM's are doing with their website's/ordering process and follow suit.

I think Taylormade has improved in the wedge and iron game. I still think their irons were in a better place with the 2014 TP line, but I've been happy with their hi-toe wedges. I haven't tried the PM Grind from Callaway, but I like that they stepped outside of the box with that. While it is similar to the older Eye 2 wedges, it was a big improvement in looks and overall design in my opinion. And I don't care that TM basically copied the PM - they all copy each other.

I don't want to lump Cleveland/Srixon into the same basket. Cleveland has nothing of interest to me, including their wedges, but Srixon has a lot of potential. I'd like to see them reduce their v-grind/sole to maybe just a pre-worn edge like the Bridgestone J15 CB's had. I thought I'd never leave a v-sole after playing the Hogan PTX's, but my swing grew out of them and I prefer a smaller, traditional sole now.

PXG - I have no issue with their image, but I get why people do. Their Hero program is awesome and every other OEM should take note, even if it's just for prior gen equipment like PXG offers. Their price is dumb for regular customers, but they do make quality products. Their Gen 1/2 0311T irons have everything I looked for. The only way they would have been better is if they didn't have the screws. I want a soft, forged hollow/filled blade with a small profile and very little offset, but with the MB look - like the P790's or Ping I500's.

Bridgestone is exactly what I posted earlier. I think they tried with the Tour B line, but they looked terrible to me and did nothing IMO to bring back the J15 fans.

Honma - It's too early for me to really judge them fairly, but I already don't like their idea that they've decided what shaft(s) should pair with their equipment. That is foolish IMO.

Wilson - I agree. I feel bad for them because I think they try hard, but just haven't had a true hit yet. I'm not sure they'll ever escape the "cheap" reputation due to their boxed sets that were so prevalent at sporting good stores. They probably should never use the full name on any of their equipment and just stick with "W/S". They need to drop the outdated gold colors they still have on some of their items. They do seem to be moving in the right direction lately though. They need more custom options and a website/ordering process that is easier to navigate. Basically, they should look at what all the other big OEM's are doing with their website's/ordering process and follow suit.
I don't see Srixon leaving their v-sole on their irons anytime soon, as it does work really well for a ton of people. They wisely dropped it off the wedges though. It's funny to hear someone say that Cleveland wedges don't interest them, because I actually think they are #1 in wedges, but might be wrong. If they aren't 1 they are definitely #2. Cleveland and Vokey have been the top two for a while.

My favorite brand is Titleist. They really make a nice product in every spot of their lineup. They fall short on price though. It's all a bit too expensive IMO.

i really loke the glides 3.0 tha TV came out but the g700 w and u are junk

My favorite brand is Titleist. They really make a nice product in every spot of their lineup. They fall short on price though. It's all a bit too expensive IMO.
And lack of discounts. Same with mizuno and ping. But....I think they all like it that way.

So I thought this was the other thread so I will do everyone:

TaylorMade: irons outside of P790 don't get anyone excited

Ping: Nothing about their brand gets me excited

Cobra: FW's and Hybrids (rails are meh to me)

Callaway: I just don't like the look of their wedges

Mizuno: FW's and Hybrids just not very exciting yet

Back