Where does your favorite brand fall short?

ddec

I have many leather-bound books
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
The Driver
We all have our favorite brands out there. Call it being a homer if you want. For a lot of us though, even our favorite brand seems to have one area in which it is hard for them to find a spot in our bags.

For me, PING has been my favorite dating back to when I first started to play, because that's what my dad played. I used to love sneaking his eye2 irons and woods into my bag and getting out with them on the course. But for some time now, I've had a hard time getting the brand in the bag. G400 driver was around for a bit, and last year I played a Vault 2.0 Anser putter all season long(still in the bag).

Having gone through multiple Morgan Cup setups and a Grandaddy bag, I'm pretty familiar with throwing together a 14-club bag, but there is often an area where I feel that brand and I don't get along. As good as I think Callaway equipment has been recently, their wedges and I have not jived at all(I haven't tried MD5 yet).

Anyway, this is a thread to completely crap on a company, but be honest, where do you think your favorite company comes up a bit short for you.

All time, my favorite is Cobra.

I think hybrids and wedges are where they fall the shortest, for me. Which, they'll never be a wedge company so I get them not going drastic in their changes.

Good thread. I'm a big-time Callaway homer. I simply do not get along with their wedges. Have tried multiple times and they just have not been a good fit for me. Not really sure why either. Have not tried the JAWS yet, but have tried all of the others. Just prefer other companies wedges.

Ben Hogan Golf. Lack of grip options and wood shafts options.

• Staff
Haha is it too easy to say Cobra because of lack a putter option? I have never hit their wedges but everything else in their lineup is awesome

My favorite brands are Titleist and Mizuno:

Titleist falls short in Drivers in my opinion (mostly based on not liking the looks of them, I did used to really love my 983K back then but the new ones do not fit my eye)

and Mizuno falls short in drivers as well (I havent tried the new ST 200 line, so this could change)

That's why I have gone to Callaway (Epic Flash Subzero) and Taylormade (SIM) with my last 2 drivers.

• Staff
My favorite brands are Titleist and Mizuno:

Titleist falls short in Drivers in my opinion (mostly based on not liking the looks of them, I did used to really love my 983K back then but the new ones do not fit my eye)

and Mizuno falls short in drivers as well (I havent tried the new ST 200 line, so this could change)

That's why I have gone to Callaway (Epic Flash Subzero) and Taylormade (SIM) with my last 2 drivers.

Man I'd have to agree with both of those too. At least both of those companies have really tried to put more of a push into those areas. Mizuno has been trending nicely in the last few years.

I have a few brands I gravitate towards, and it's changed over the years. I used to be pretty big into TM, and recently Callaway has probably been that spot for me. Both have the same issues for me, and it's wedges. I've never found them to be as good as other options, though I admittedly haven't tried the latest from either.

I'm also big on Cleveland/Srixon, and for me their recent woods and hybrids haven't been the best IMO, while their irons and wedges continue to be towards the top of the pack. Putters have been good, but I just haven't cared much for them.

Mizuno has also been a brand I've always loved but never really purchased much of (hello lack of discounts/use of coupon codes), though I have had a few iron sets over the years. I've never been big on the their woods, but that seems to have changed recently and I am so stoked to get to test out and own the newest line from them.

I don't really have a favorite brand with 7 different manufacturers across my 14 clubs. I do have a PING G driver that I love and before that my Rapture V2 was the best driver I ever owned. They've always had solid putters, wedges and irons that I've gamed on and off through the years. I also have a soft spot for PING as I lived in Phoenix for 16 years and some of my friends worked there.

I always wondered why PING never made a premium golf ball.

If forced to declare "homer" status for a single company I would have to say Wilson. IME, Drivers and Fairways are their weakest spots despite their recent efforts. Ball speed just seems to lag behind the category leaders.

I'm all in on Callaway. Where I think they fall short is with blending lines too much for most people. They try to overlap their two separate lines for about 6 months before starting to discount one, but a lot of technology is in both lines. Now, those who take the time to do their research will be able to find the differences, but I think for the average consumer there's not enough difference between the Epic Flash and Mavrik, yet the Mavrik isn't a direct replacement.

I was a Ping guy through and through until I hit the Apex I'm currently playing. Thats turned me into a pretty solid Callaway homer, BUT I can't hit their drivers to save my life. The last Callaway driver that even remotely worked for me was the Optiforce... and none before that.

For me its the lack of some LH options. Whether its a certain grind, loft or product it self. Im the first to admit I have more LH options than ever before but I am still missing out.

I was a Cobra homer for a bit. I think their Players GI irons tend to lean too far toward GI. The last iron they had that fit that bill for me was Forged Tour, but it was a bit of an underperformer relative to its competition. I would also agree partially with @Jman that their hybrids could use a little work.

Thanks to the Grandaddy I'm all in on Callaway. My only complaint (so far!) is their stock putter grips and headcovers. Just not really on par with the quality of the club itself. And their apparel, while improving, still has a long way to go.

I am huge Bridgestone fan. I don't see them doing it, but I would love to see them get serious about making and selling clubs in the US. I've had the J15 cavity backs in the bag for 5 years now and I have not hit anything that makes me feel the need to replace them. Before that, the J40 line was spectacular (irons, wedges, woods).

Callaway Top to Bottom except for the Golf Ball.

Now I was set on the Chrome Soft for a full year plus until that report that came out scathing the ChromeSoft gave me concern. So much so that I emptied out my ChromeSofts and narrowed my golf ball to just 2 choices. The Z-Star and ProV1.

It's nice to hear/read Callaway's response to the report, the amount of money they're going to put into their R&D of Golf Balls, and their piece on the changing of the Golf Ball was also nice.

But I remain skeptical. And I've enjoyed playing the Z-Star and ProV1, so no plans to switch back to the ChromeSoft at all.

I've had and have a lot of different Callaway clubs, but have never gotten along with the balls.

I have had an affinity for ping. I am not exactly sure where it comes from. Maybe during my brief playing time as a kid, Ping had an appeal with a couple of players I respected. IDK. Ping is a company I want to like. They have a great lineup of clubs top to bottom. I just find that lineup a confusing jumble of options. The logic of the organization of clubs is not clear to me. I am also always trying to find shaft upgrade info and such, and it seems harder to get detailed information than it should be.

I am growing into a big Mizuno irons fan but don't buy into the full range of clubs yet. I don't even know what to think about their golf balls. Their USA golf website is weaksauce, as has been mentioned over and over. ;)

Because of THP I have become a Callaway fan. Some of their club names and marketing over the years has turned me off a bit. However, I got over that and their clubs are very good in every category. Ball is a weakness to me. I tried hard to buy into the Chromesoft and just couldn't sustain interest.

Last edited:
I really like Callaway clubs, but I don't like the way they look. They seem to live in some weird area between traditional and modern that ends up decidedly unsexy.

I’m not a homer for any brand, and all brands come up short in one area or another.

Callaway.....Biggest disappoint is they haven't sponsored me yet :LOL::LOL::LOL:. But seriously its the golf ball. Looking forward to the 2020 release.

Back