• Total voters

baylrballa

2024 WWGC Food and Drink Champion
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
>10
3rw.jpg

say you've got a par 3 like this. death on one side, safety on the other.

do you go far left on the box to maximize approach angles, or far right to pick a target line pointed more away from danger?

does it matter where the pin is?

As a lefty, I'm teeing up as far right as possible. That looks like a fun hole! What's the yardage?

The bunker shot looks easier than a miss onto the hardpan, doesn't it?

Right side of the tee box. Looks like a tough shot no matter where you stand and set up!

typically 165 or so. 180ish from back tees.
Yep, I'm definitely sticking to the right of the tee box with a nice iron shot in at either distance.

The bunker shot looks easier than a miss onto the hardpan, doesn't it?
hard to tell but it's a ~4 foot deep bunker with steep face, so it usually rolls back and you have a downhill lie to try to clear that lip. left is probably 9 foot drop with several swells that aren't mowed much. not bad in the winter, not fun either when it's lush.

Last edited:
I see why my index doesn't travel well.

I'm trying to play a draw with every shot so I'll stay to the left of the tee box to accommodate that better.

I play a draw, so left side of tee box, with aim line of the back right quarter portion of the green Plus, I don't like the looks of the stuff left of the green.

Pin would make a difference for me.
Left pin: Center tee box draw starting at middle of the green
Center or right pin: Left tee box draw starting along right side of the strip of green grass leading to green.

On that Hole I'd probably Tee up on the far right as I tend to pull my Irons left ( it's very hard to get rid of that Baseball swing but I'm working on it) and I don't want any part of that water. Also I tend to have a baby draw when I don't pull it.

Last edited:
always on the side of danger.

I am teeing up on left and aiming at the edge of the bunker and hoping my draw is working. If my fade is the shot of the day, right side and aim at left side of the green.

Answered right for teeing off on par 4, an 5’s. But on 3’s it’s all about the nicest piece of flat grass that won’t cause a slip.

View attachment 9034327

say you've got a par 3 like this. death on one side, safety on the other.

do you go far left on the box to maximize approach angles, or far right to pick a target line pointed more away from danger?

does it matter where the pin is?
It matters where the pin is. It matters how and from what direction the wind blows. It matters whether the tees are tucked right or left and which tee box we're playing. It matters how tall that tree is on the left about half way there. It matters how the green is sloped. It matters how hard or receptive is that green. It matters how long it is tee to green. There are a lot of things that matter.

It matters where the pin is. It matters how and from what direction the wind blows. It matters whether the tees are tucked right or left and which tee box we're playing. It matters how tall that tree is on the left about half way there. It matters how the green is sloped. It matters how hard or receptive is that green. It matters how long it is tee to green. There are a lot of things that matter.
Predominant wind is from behind, little left to right. Pin favors right side but at any depth. Green is 22 yards deep. Strong slope back to front with an almost false back 2 yards to 10ft slope. Soft receptive green.

Left side and try to peel one of the edge of the bunker.

I’m teeing on the right and aiming center.

I really struggle with alignment when I'm not lined up at the same angle as the tee box so I would probably line up left side and play a straight shot at the left edge of the green.

As a lefty, I'm teeing up as far right as possible. That looks like a fun hole! What's the yardage?
Haha I’d be on the left side of the box being a lefty. Gives me more room to aim a little right and play my slight fade back to the left. And if I don’t fade it, I’m far enough left, that aiming right give me more leeway if it ends up going straight.

Maybe it doesn’t make sense to anyone but me :LOL:

At 165 I'm teeing up on the right and possibly aiming for the pin, depending on location. At 180 I'm teeing up on the right but aiming for the center no matter where the pin is.

Haha I’d be on the left side of the box being a lefty. Gives me more room to aim a little right and play my slight fade back to the left. And if I don’t fade it, I’m far enough left, that aiming right give me more leeway if it ends up going straight.

It makes sense to me as a fellow southpaw. Your description couldn't fit me better!

From a fellow lefty, that makes perfect sense with that shot shape! My usual iron shot is a draw, hence my desire to stay right so I could just aim for the middle of the green.

Back