Which 2021 Driver for You? Why?

Last year was a driver merry-go-round for me. Don't want the same for 2021.

So... I just took delivery today of a G425 Max with Tensei AV Orange. Also have 6 other shafts to try with it, I think.

If it doesn't work for me, I'll turn back to old faithful, my G400 Max with Fuji Fuel.

It will either be TSi3 9* or TSi2 8* driver- shaft Ventus Blue 6X.... I love the TSi3, but got an 8* TSi2 a few weeks ago and it may be longer- is a bit more forgiving as well. It launches around the same as TSi3 9* with what appears to be similar spin. The little bit more forgiveness baked in, probably has me averaging a longer drive when compared to TSi3. Will probably check out the Epic Triple Diamond when it comes out, since I’ve liked those drivers in the past and still own an Epic Flash TD...

Well reality has set in......got phone call that warranty SIM2 is here! While I should be thoroughly excited, I've actually moved into research of the Max LS and RADspeed drivers....so spend, trade , demo more? Ugh DA DILEMMA!

Yup. It’s going to be ZX5 v Rad v ST-x v C721

Yup. It’s going to be ZX5 v Rad v ST-x v C721

We all need Jman’s dilemmas in our game. 😂

I hope to someday have the confidence in my swing and my game to be an equipment evaluator. My goal at this point is to ELIMINATE variables in my swing, not create them.

Thanks for the hard work Jman!

Picked up my 1st gen SIM for a steal right after the SIM 2 released so no need to make any upgrades right now. I imagine next year I will have the itch again, lol.

I'm looking at trading in my Rogue for a Sim right now, but have no idea which stock shaft option to go with. I normally play stiff (6.0)

What shaft did you go with in your Sim?

I'm looking at trading in my Rogue for a Sim right now, but have no idea which stock shaft option to go with. I normally play stiff (6.0)

What shaft did you go with in your Sim?

When I use it there is a specific reason, it's an 8* and I want low bullets from it that I can wail on. So, I use either a Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 60g X or HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g X. However, I don't recommend this for most people, I just have a problem tinkering with all of my gear. The Smoke Green is especially terribly if you don't swing 120+ mph when you step on it. The Tensei blue is nice and used to love gaming it in a 9* head.

If I were you and wanted a great option for consistent play I would go Fujikura Ventus Blue (at least give it a shot), I loved it when I tested it and I run the fairway wood version in my 3 wood. What's your normal swing speed (normal swing, not trying to kill it)?

But, do note, I switched to a G425 LST for my gamer club. The SIM gets out of control for me on my bad days.

When I use it there is a specific reason, it's an 8* and I want low bullets from it that I can wail on. So, I use either a Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 60g X or HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g X. However, I don't recommend this for most people, I just have a problem tinkering with all of my gear. The Smoke Green is especially terribly if you don't swing 120+ mph when you step on it. The Tensei blue is nice and used to love gaming it in a 9* head.

If I were you and wanted a great option for consistent play I would go Fujikura Ventus Blue (at least give it a shot), I loved it when I tested it and I run the fairway wood version in my 3 wood. What's your normal swing speed (normal swing, not trying to kill it)?

But, do note, I switched to a G425 LST for my gamer club. The SIM gets out of control for me on my bad days.

I haven't checked my swing speed in a while, but I'd guess 105-110. Driver is usually 270-290 yds.

I play the Smoke Black 6.0 70g in my Rogue right now and it is just a little more board-ey than I'd prefer.

I may just go with the Ventus Blue if it's a solid all around performer.

I've decided to double up the Epics facing off against my TSi3. Epic and Epic Max LS. Play them all for 6 rounds, all at 10*, same shaft. Top 2 stay. I'm excited. Snow can melt anytime. Like, by Tuesday preferably.

Last edited:
We all need Jman’s dilemmas in our game. 😂

I hope to someday have the confidence in my swing and my game to be an equipment evaluator. My goal at this point is to ELIMINATE variables in my swing, not create them.

Thanks for the hard work Jman!
Part of the job! :ROFLMAO:;)

For me, it’s going to be either Titleist TSi3 or Epic Max LS. The Titleist is a looker and I am super confident with it. The ball speed has been as good as anything I have hit in the last two years. I do want to give the Epic Max LS a chance, but it will be an uphill battle.

I haven't checked my swing speed in a while, but I'd guess 105-110. Driver is usually 270-290 yds.

I play the Smoke Black 6.0 70g in my Rogue right now and it is just a little more board-ey than I'd prefer.

I may just go with the Ventus Blue if it's a solid all around performer.

Interesting, your tempo is probably much different than mine. I played a Smoke Black in X and it felt like a pool noodle to me, thought it felt way too flexible for an X and I generally have a delay going from takeaway to transition and load/lag my downswing pretty hard through impact.

The Ventus blue 6 in stiff would probably work unless you wanted to gain some height then you could go Ventus red. Definitely stay away from the other HZRDUS shafts if you think the Smoke Black feels like a board. Though if you get consistently to 110 mph you may want to think about some of the more flexible X flex shafts. I honestly feel like a Tensei blue works really well for a lot of swings. If you want to buy it if you can't find the right shaft, let me know, it's 44.5" with the TM adapter on it and a brand new MCC +4 midsize grip on it.

Last edited:
Well, I had what was supposed to be a driver fitting last night. Turns out I still need to work on my swing. Any driver fitting last night would have included too many fixes for swing flaws. Therefore, it ended up being a long lesson. Hopefully I'm headed in the right direction.

I did try Epic Max LS, G425 Max, and Sim 2 Max. Of those, I liked the Epic best, but we'll see how things unfold when my swing isn't horrific.

Last edited:
Well, I had what was supposed to be a driver fitting last night. Turns out I still need to work on my swing. Any driver fitting last night would have included too many fixes for swing flaws. Therefore, it ended up being a long lesson. Hopefully I'm headed in the right direction.

I did try Epic Speed LS, G425 Max, and Sim 2 Max. Of those, I liked the Epic best, but we'll see how things unfold when my swing isn't horrific.
That sucks. Better luck next time.

I did try Epic Speed LS, G425 Max, and Sim 2 Max. Of those, I liked the Epic best, but we'll see how things unfold when my swing isn't horrific.

Good judgment there. I'm also leery of doing a fitting after a long layoff. Looks-wise I prefer the SiM2 Max.

Too bad. Curious, since there is no Epic Speed LS, was it the Epic Speed, or Epic Max LS that you hit?

I'm thinking I'd l'd like to try a Tour Edge C521 or C721. I'm guessing that I'll probably stick with my XXIO Prime 9 though. I'd still like to hit the TE offerings.

Too bad. Curious, since there is no Epic Speed LS, was it the Epic Speed, or Epic Max LS that you hit?

Oops! Yes, Epic Max LS.

Good judgment there. I'm also leery of doing a fitting after a long layoff. Looks-wise I prefer the SiM2 Max.

My driver swing was awful and inconsistent all last season. I was having a bad case of the rights and not being able to close the face. By the end of the lesson, I was on to something and having better strikes. I just need to work on better consistency.

@brian7770 : Failing to square the driver club face is something that I have struggled with also. For me it may be due to a lack of mobility in my right wrist resulting in my hand coming off the grip at the top and the club face not closing soon enough. I'm working on a remedy where I place my right hand more on top. Haven't been able to hit any balls to test it out.

Last edited:
I'm rescheduled for a driver fitting in late March. Hopefully, my driver swing will be in much better shape.

I started to make some real progress my driver swing by the end of a lesson yesterday. Next week is my fitting, so I'm hoping for a very good fitting. Plus, I paid for additional lessons, so we can continue to dial things in.

I have only just been learning to hit driver in the last few months so for now the EXS 220 is staying in the bag now that I've gotten my swing dialed in.

I do have an EXS Pro 9.5 head sitting in the garage though that may come out once I feel more confident in what I'm doing. Come this time next year I probably will be picking up a 2021 model on the cheap though :D

Tomorrow is my fitting! Really hoping to make great progress. It's funny how much holding the grip in my fingers and not in my palm made a difference, although I didn't realize I was holding it in my palm.

Back