Which Are Acceptable?

I think all are fine, but golfed sounds weird. This is one thing I don't have an issue with.

Played golf. You never hear anyone say they "baseballed," "tennised," or "footballed."
However people do say they "bowled."

This is the first time I've ever seen anything about this and I am mind blown that it's a thing.

Who cares 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♀️

All are good to me. Don’t really care either way.

All three are perfectly acceptable by me!

Language evolves, and it’s the intent of the usage that makes the difference.

Other examples: Snowshoeing, skiing, paragliding, boxing…

I use all but "golfed" because it sounds weird to me...

Other sports sound funny but all work with golf somehow hahha.

Footballing, footballed
Baseballing, baseballed
Basketballing, basketballed

Does work for rowing, skied, surfing.

Each there own I guess.

I'm a golfer who golfed yesterday and will be golfing tomorrow. Love me some golf.
:golf3:

Those are all fine. They all convey the point and are easily understood by others which is the promary purpose of language. Grammar may not be great, but that is secondary concern with language.

I golfed yesterday. I baseballed yesterday.

Baseballed has squiggly lines under it, but golfed doesn't. Case closed. 😜

I am happy with them all, but use "I am away to the golf" or "I was at the golf" much more often.

i wouldn't consider any of the examples you listed to be sports, more hobbies/recreational activities.
Tell that to this guy!

I use them all and don't care who knows it :LOL:

All three are okay for me. Play is the word I occasionally edit.

Example:
I played with Bob today. --- Uncomfortable :unsure:
I golfed with Bob today. --- Much better :)

I do not believe i have ever used the term, "Golfed"

But to your question, I really don't care if someone else uses it, I would know what they meant, so i guess they are all, Acceptable

I use all of them, but prefer going golfing. I didn't realize it was a THING?

I'll be golfing at 8:14 tomorrow morning.

I golfed with my buddy Tuesday.

As long as I'm whacking a dimpled white ball, I couldn't care less or worry how someone defines it ;)

Last edited:
I don’t think I would use golfed, but they are all fine with me. With all the s**t that’s going on in the world these days, I’m not gonna worry if someone tells me they golfed yesterday LOL.

All are not only acceptable, all are correct.

I use them all but try not to say golfing.

I always say I'm here to hit golf

Tell that to this guy!

May have used that once or twice before back when I was bowling leagues and we needed that double in the 10th to close out a win! :cool:

I never thought about it until I saw the choices spelled out. I'm "going to play golf", or "playing golf", or I've already "played golf".

I’m with @ddec - say what you want.

Back